No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-28, 3:11am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Default Ekho help!

Ok, I was able to make the fireopals, since I was given very clear instructions on how. But when it comes to making anything else out of Ekho, I just dont seem to get any color out of it, and I have seen some beautiful colors that other people have gotten. Please tell the silver looser how to coax this glass. Mine get kind of just amber, and all you can see is the base color and amber mixture. Little shimmer maybe, but nothing like it should. And please post some images too.
There are probably several threads about this, but I dont know how to get the search to show just the threads about Ekho... instead it shows all the threads that Ekho has been mentioned in. (wouldnt mind getting some advice on that too... how to search effectively )
Thanks yall!
Pia
Old 2010-10-28, 9:11am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Do an advanced search for Ekho only in the title.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-10-28, 1:11pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Ya think? I feel like moran! Thanks Squid!
Old 2010-10-28, 1:34pm
da General

Pia - here is a thread that eventually became the Ekho thread:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=131173

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-10-28, 1:52pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by piakaven View Post
Ya think? I feel like moran! Thanks Squid!
No need - there are a gazillion threads that mention it!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-10-28, 1:53pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Pia - here is a thread that eventually became the Ekho thread:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=131173
That's right - this started as a test batch

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-10-28, 2:24pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for! Yay!
I am off to study!
Pia
Old 2010-10-28, 2:25pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

And Hayley, I know you get amazing stuff out of Ekho... feel free to share any time
Old 2010-10-28, 3:49pm

Nice! I'd always wondered if there was an Ekho thread. I'll have to give it a long read.

I think you'll find what you need in that thread Pia. It doesn't need to be worked near as hot as some of the other striking glasses.
Old 2010-10-28, 3:52pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Ive been reading it, and there is ton of information. I need to try the new tricks ive learned from there. It is a great thread!
Just hate, that when I think I know now what I did wrong, and I want to go to torch... its time to put on some scrubs, and head to work. Oh well... the story continues tomorrow.
Pia
Old 2010-10-29, 7:43am
Glassy Broad :-)

Just a drive by comment
I always reduce my Ekho just before encasing it, I get beautiful Mother of Pearl colors under the clear! Even blues and purples! Ekho is my second fave go to color.
Hope this helps!
HUGS
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-10-29, 8:38am
da General

Pia - Ekho is the first glass that is both striking and reducing at the same time. To take advantage of its amazing qualities, it's best to first strike it, then reduce it, and finally encase to capture all the glorious color range and iridescence. Depending on how much you strike it (and what color the glass is) when you reduce, as well as how much you reduce it (and what color the glass is) when you encase, you will get many different effects.

Also note that Ekho loses its iridescence fairly easily, so start with smaller beads (that's why I actually was making sets when Ekho first came out) . . . and do NOT heat it too much. Keeping the bead under the flame and only melting the clear encasement further out towards the tip of the flame is important. The longer you work the bead, the paler it becomes . . . but please don't give up on the shaping for the colors!

Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2010-10-29 at 8:41am.
Old 2010-10-29, 1:23pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thanks Haley! I read the thread you posted untill the 5th page, still lots to go, but I already have a pretty good idea what to try next. Your comments have been huge eye openers! I think I thought for some weird reason, that when you marver the molten bead, and it gets odd colors on the surface, thats striking, cause thats how Psyhe did for me. Well, Ekho gives me those colors, but they are only ugly greens, and I guess I should really try the real striking, with the flame after it has cooled.
Anyone else get those colors when marvering? What you think of them? Is it striking, or just bead poo?
Thanks tons!
Pia
Pia