No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-12, 8:25am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Default Identify this glass?

I picked up a couple of those big grab bag lots that Arrow Springs was offering when they were moving away from "generic" 104. This rod was in there, and I LOVE THIS COLOR. I have NO clue what it is, and would desperately like to buy more.

In the rod it's almost exactly the color of those square caramels you melt down to make caramel apples with. The rod end has rings.

Any clues? I'd be eternally grateful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-02-12, 8:41am
sunscreen me baby

I love this game

My guesses are either cosmic storm 801 or apricot jam 802. Cosmic storm has a slightly rough texture you would only notice next to a shiny rod, where as the apricot jam is that smooth shiny type.

~

Old 2013-02-12, 8:44am
T.J. made me do it

It's hard to tell but is the core white? If so, then it is either Vetro Tomato Soup or Apricot Jam. They carried a bit of the Vetro Odds from that time period. The Apricot Jam has sparkles in it.

Old 2013-02-12, 8:46am
T.J. made me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I love this game

My guesses are either cosmic storm 801 or apricot jam 802. Cosmic storm has a slightly rough texture you would only notice next to a shiny rod, where as the apricot jam is that smooth shiny type.
I don't remember ever seeing the Cosmic Storm there.

Old 2013-02-12, 8:49am
sunscreen me baby

When it cooks up does it have slight sparkle to it? If so it is Apricot Jam like Julie said. I don't see the sparkle in my rods. I checked my rods and tomato soup is more orange than a caramel.

~

Old 2013-02-12, 9:26am
Glass Addict

Looks like Cosmic Storm to me... which works in the flame to be a mustard yellow with streaks in it (or at least, that's what it does for me)...

Old 2013-02-12, 9:28am

My first thought was tomato soup
Old 2013-02-12, 10:31am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

No sparkle, and stays that caramel color. I'm sitting in doctors waiting room or I'd post the bead I made with it.

L-111

Old 2013-02-12, 10:32am
Lampworkaholic!

My guess is Orange Dreamsicle. Definitely post the bead.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-02-12, 11:22am

My cosmic storm starts out looking pink, sparkly, and rough on the outside. It ends up exactly like Joy said. Ick.

Apricot Jam is definitely orange on the outside, not caramel colour. But that could all be different peoples' perceptions and how they describe them. It definitely stays the same colour, with streaks here and there of yellowish sometimes. But I always considered that orange.

I was inclined to say Honey Crunch, but that is a little less orangey and more honey-coloured on the outside. It melts into separate ivoryish and honey-ish layers, if you get it hot enough.

I don't suppose anyone wants to buy any Vetrofond Cosmic Storm, Candy Corn, Swamp Moss, Fish Pink, or Apricot Jam?

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-02-12, 12:54pm
sunscreen me baby

Melissa I think the Apricot Jam may have varied. Mine definitely does not stay the same color. My rods look like the one pictured but the beads were an apricot jam color with a little sparkle. I never got yellow streaks in it either.

~

Old 2013-02-12, 1:17pm

All I know is the last bead I made with it wasn't all that nice, so I etched it, and it ended up looking like cheddar cheese that had been sitting on a warm counter for an entire day.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-02-12, 1:39pm
sunscreen me baby

lol! I need to make something with it. It was a great selling color for me a few years back.

~

Old 2013-02-12, 1:56pm
...displaced ocean lover

hmmmm This is interesting.
For me Cosmic Storm is the perfect background in Beachy beads. Think sparkly sunset.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2013-02-12, 2:47pm

I like Cosmic Storm too. My rods have a dark core and don't look like the picture up there at all.
If the glass is staying caramel colored and it's from Arrow Springs, it might be Silver Cinnamon or one of those? I don't think mine have a core like that though.

Old 2013-02-12, 2:51pm
...displaced ocean lover

Rebecca, you're right! I went up to my studio and they do have a dark middle.
So I recall my Cosmic Storm vote.

But...it's STILL a great sunset...

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2013-02-12, 3:23pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Looks like Apricot Jam to me.

Old 2013-02-12, 3:38pm

Honey crunch?
Old 2013-02-12, 4:18pm

My guess is cosmic storm odd lot 791801. Mine has a white center.

LynieG
Old 2013-02-12, 4:30pm
Marble Lover

These are some of the most interesting posts to me. I love seeing you guys play this "game" and your knowledge of all the glasses and their properties is mind-blowing.

-BEP
Old 2013-02-12, 5:22pm

I went out and took a look at my glass, and that could almost be Candy Corn. My Apricot Jam is a lot more orange than my candy corn. The candy corn seems to be more of the colour you describe in rod form.

If you look closely at the end of the rod, both my candy corn and apricot jam have an opaque outside, a solid whitish center, and what appears to be both opaque and transparent concentric (like a tree) layers in between. The candy corn looks more transparent. My candy corn has smooth concentric rings, and my apricot jam has stripey or wavy concentric rings.

Facebook:

Last edited by silverlilly1; 2013-02-12 at 5:33pm.
Old 2013-02-12, 5:27pm

Nortel has both. The actual rods don't really look like their pictures, colour-wise. And I still have no idea how glass companies make the glass show so nicely in the paddles. When I make a bead, it doesn't do that.

http://www.nortelglass.com/_glassV.php

Facebook:

Last edited by silverlilly1; 2013-02-12 at 5:35pm.
Old 2013-02-12, 5:39pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Here are 3 of my rods - from left to right apricot jam, tomato soup and honey crunch.
Attached Images

Old 2013-02-12, 5:53pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

It doesn't look like any of the cosmic storm or apricot jam I've been able to find online... closest thing I've found so far is Mou Premium Translucent or the photo on the Glass Shoppe Studio of Effetre Light Brown Special.

Here's the bead I made - it's a base of the Mystery Glass, spiraled with medium topaz transparent, then stirred & swirled with an IB stringer. I just LOVE the way it looks - forgive the crummy picture, I was experimenting this morning and definitely learned how I DON'T want to photo these.

I may have to try and order some of each of the possibilities.

L-111

Old 2013-02-12, 5:57pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Robyn's Apricot Jam and Tomato Soup photos do look rather a lot like the end of my rod, though I still think it's darker.

L-111

Old 2013-02-12, 7:05pm

Default let's rule them in or out once and for all...

Just to try to clinch the deal on whether it's any of these Vetrofond glasses we've all been talking about...I apologize for the awkward colouring. No matter how many times I tell him colour being true to life is the most important thing, it doesn't seem to help.

This one's the ends of (left to right) cosmic storm, honey crunch, candy corn, and apricot jam. Cosmic storm is the most opaque of the bunch.

Here are the melted ends of them, in the same order. Both cosmic storm and honey crunch turn other colours, as you can see. The other two are more true to the rod colour. I've never seen any sparkle in apricot jam until now.

And finally, this is what happens when you ask your husband to take pictures of Apricot Jam...I guess now I'll have to use it. But the dark dots in the center of apricot jam are definitely the glass, not an air bubble!

Facebook:

Last edited by silverlilly1; 2013-02-12 at 7:07pm.
Old 2013-02-12, 7:12pm
Senior Moment

Just want to say the pics of the rod ends are amazingly cool!

And I have no idea what the rod is LOL

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-02-13, 5:57am

Could it be an old ASK color?

Old 2013-02-13, 5:59am

Why do those look like millefiori cane? Does that happen by accident during the mfg process? Because I'm sure they don't take the time to do that! Wild!

Old 2013-02-13, 3:45pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

My cosmic storm has a caramel colored outside with a subtle sparkle like shampoo glass, and the core looks like a black and clear spiral, covered in a thick white layer. It has much more white than Melissa's pic.