No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-09-07, 3:23am
Calendar Girl

Default Online CFM fan calculator!

Thanks to Anne D. I checked out industrialfansdirect.com. For convenience, they have an online cfm calculator. Cool.

My question is, what is the recommended time for us flamers?

They have the calculator and a chart with various air exchange times for different types of rooms and uses.

http://www.industrialfansdirect.com/...tore_Code=FANS
Old 2007-09-07, 5:10am
phrit phreak

hey that's slick.......I'll be curious to see the answer to replacement air too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-09-07, 7:53am
Gentleman of Leisure

Unfortunately that is just for room air exchange...

You need a to have about 125cfm for every square foot of HOOD opening ...

lampwork ventilation does not rely on room air exchange but on air volume moving through your work space directly surrounding your torch.

The formula you want is well documented in many places on most lampwork sites...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-09-07 at 7:57am.
Old 2007-09-07, 8:29am
Calendar Girl

Default OK, Dale, I think I got it but...

Thanks Dale. OK. Got it (I think). So I bought the glasscraft unit before I knew of this site and all its helpful info. Lesson learned.

I would love some ideas on a fan that I could get to replace the Glasscraft one and install it in the same hood? (and after I replace the flexible ductwork to solid)

The opening of the hood is 24x45 inches and the hole for the fan is 10 inches in diameter. So that would tell me I need a fan that is 950 cfm correct?

Frankly I go to these websites, Grainger, industrialfansdirect, etc. and I am overwhelmed and clueless.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how I can still use the hood because it is already hung and I don't want to waste any more money! Thanks.
Old 2007-09-07, 3:28pm
Gentleman of Leisure

A 950cfm fan seem appropriate to bring the Glasscraft hood up to acceptable standards....

Dale

Old 2007-09-08, 2:30pm

Dale
Would you please!! look at that website and see which one would fit into the glasscraft's unit?

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-09-08, 3:56pm
Calendar Girl

Either there or Grainger would be great!
Old 2007-09-08, 6:22pm

So would this one work. It looks like it has more CFM than needed but I couldn't find another one with less cfm that wa s10 inches. http://www.industrialfansdirect.com/...de=IND-FA-EF-L

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-09-09, 10:00am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamn! View Post
Dale
Would you please!! look at that website and see which one would fit into the glasscraft's unit?

I'm working on it.... No matter what you use, it will probably take some adaptation... I don't think you are going to find anything that is just a "slip in" fit with no alterations....

Dale

Old 2007-09-09, 10:19am

Thanks Dale!! I thought you were offline this last 1/2 day.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-09-09, 11:13am
Calendar Girl

Thanks everyone. I discovered that there's a Grainger only a half hours drive from me. I'm going to try and go there this week and see if they can help me.
Old 2007-09-09, 2:49pm
Calendar Girl

Default What about this one?

http://climatedoctors.zoovy.com/product/SUNC27

This looks like the next model up from the one that Glasscraft supplies. Would this one be ok?
Old 2007-09-09, 7:34pm

Dale said 960 cfm.
I looked at that website and would guess the next one up 1160 or?? is the one that would do.
Heidi

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-09-09, 10:57pm
Calendar Girl

I didn't see one there that was 1160. Did you? If so could you post the link?
thanks,
Marjo
Old 2007-09-10, 3:13pm

No I thought it was close hold on.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-09-10, 3:14pm

Oops! Did I do that? lol
OK really here it is!
http://climatedoctors.zoovy.com/product/SUNC28

Heidi

~~
~~

Last edited by Jamn!; 2007-09-10 at 3:25pm.
Old 2007-09-10, 3:16pm
Calendar Girl

Huh????
Old 2007-09-10, 3:25pm

changed it lol

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-09-10, 5:47pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Oops! Did I do that? lol
OK really here it is!
http://climatedoctors.zoovy.com/product/SUNC28
That fan (Suncourt DB412P) is a 700 cfm.... You want to use free air specification.... Its only 1160 if used in duct system as booster (secondary) fan....

If you use it as primary fan and its the ONLY fan in system its 700 cfm...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-09-10 at 5:49pm.
Old 2007-09-10, 10:52pm

Thanks Dale I was wondering about that also.

So this one?

http://climatedoctors.zoovy.com/product/SUNC30

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-09-11, 7:32am
Gentleman of Leisure

The Suncourt DB416P does appear to be 1100cfm in free air....

But its 16 inch in diameter, this is getting pretty large and will probably have to be mounted at wall opening and you will have to make an adapter to get diameter of duct from hood duct to match diameter of fan housing...

Dale

Old 2007-09-13, 7:10am
Calendar Girl

Nothing that would work in that hood from Grainger?
Old 2007-09-13, 7:21am

Dale I have read some posts where you reccommend the squirrel cage type blowers.

What about this one?
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/7F740

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-09-13, 7:46am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Dale I have read some posts where you reccommend the squirrel cage type blowers.

What about this one?
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/7F740
It would work.... It's about double the size you need.... And It would have to be put in a enclosure as both ends of blower housing are "open" to air. To make it work effective both ends need to be able to draw from the hood/duct area... But solution is simple mount blower at wall, build box around blower, run duct from hood to "box"...

This one is probably closer to what you want....

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/7C039

If you check chart on this page...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...e&CatPage=3065

You will see it is about 1005/968 CFM ..... Kind of more in range you are looking for for updating Glasscraft hood and it has motor OUTSIDE air flow so it does NOT require being inside a box or plenum...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-09-13 at 7:59am.
Old 2007-09-17, 2:00pm

Thanks Dale!

Heidi

~~
~~