Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-11-21, 8:38pm

Default Flashback Arrestor at Torch

Even though most of what I've read says a flashback arrestor is not required for a bobcat, I have one on my propane set up to be on the safe side. However, I've read on this site that the safest way you can go is to put the flashback arrestor at your torch.

My question is, and it may be obvious and I'm just not thinking, but can I use the arrrestor I have hooked up to the propane regulator on the torch instead? Or is there a specific flashback arrestor for torches. I puchased my torch and flashback arrestor from Flametree Glass (url below to the one I purchased). It's the only one I see on their website, which i was looking to see if they sold one specifically for a tank hook up vs. torch set up. Thanks

https://flametreeglass.com/index.php...iqf0nuim5375e3
Old 2008-11-21, 9:18pm
jessica barksdale

i'm not 100% sure, but i think they are different, just because i've seen them sold seperately (sundance glass has both) or specified as torch mount or regulator mount. i imagine if they are specified as one or the other they probably aren't compatible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jes
i make stuff & also things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
Old 2008-11-22, 3:02am

Thank Jes for the link to Sundance Glass, that is exacly what I was looking for to be able to tell if they sold different arrestors depending on torch or regulator hookup, and like you said, it appears that they are different. Thanks again.
Old 2008-11-22, 10:55am
jessica barksdale

anytime, DJ. i don't know much but when i do i'm always down to help.

jes

|
Old 2008-11-22, 12:00pm

I use a flash back arrestor with my hothead bulk propane set up.. and the arrestor is between the regulator and the hose.. so I go.. propane bottle, regulator, flashback arrestor and then hose and then torch..
Old 2008-11-27, 9:38am
Gentleman of Leisure

A simple note:... A flashback arrestor mounted at torch protects hose and regulator.... A flashback arrestor mounted at regulator only protects regulator..

Personalty I am more concerned about hose bursting than damaging regulator..

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-11-27, 9:40am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by effemess View Post
I use a flash back arrestor with my hothead bulk propane set up.. and the arrestor is between the regulator and the hose.. so I go.. propane bottle, regulator, flashback arrestor and then hose and then torch..
Would like to see pictures of your setup.... So few people use regulators on a hothead I would like more information on what you have done and how it works for you!

Dale

Old 2008-11-27, 10:10pm
Mary Lockwood

There are two lines of thought about where to put your arrestor and yes they are different hookups for the different applications. Arrow Springs sell them individually if you don't need one for your oxygen side.

I have mine between the hose and the regulator. Not that I care about my regulator, but because I'm trying to stop any flash before it hits the tank.

One idea is that if you put the regulator between the torch and the hose, your flashback will be stopped immediately before it ever makes it into the hose.

However, if something damages the hose itself, ie cut damage or melting damage, there is nothing stopping the fire from traveling to the tank.

What I can't seem to get a solid answer for is this:

Say I opt for putting the arrestor between the regulator and the hose. Obviously, that leaves the length of the hose itself open to flashback and only protects the regulator and tank. In this scenario, with a 12 foot hose for example, how much of a boom would that hose full of propane make?

Is it better to risk that smaller fire and protect the tank at the regulator, almost like a firewall type situation? OR would a fire in the hose be big enough to warrant putting the arrestor at the torch end leaving the regulator end open?

Seems to me that you should protect the tank at all costs, that is the one that is going to blow up your house. If you have a simple, flashback, then I can see where the best possible choice would be to stop it at the torch, before it goes any further. But I don't like the idea of leaving my tank open in case of a hose problem further down the line.

Dale? Any input? I am not against getting the torch/hose arrestor instead of the regulator/hose arrestor. I just would really like hearing your opinion on this before I make any changes.

~~Mary

Old 2008-11-27, 10:11pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Would like to see pictures of your setup.... So few people use regulators on a hothead I would like more information on what you have done and how it works for you!

Dale
Sarah Schalken (jacinthe id) uses a regulator with her hot head. If you are doing research on this, you might want to contact her too.

Old 2008-11-28, 12:01am

The Navy Welding Safety guide prefers the flashback arrestor at the regulator.
But, maybe they're just willing to sacrifice "the one" for "the many"?
My goal is to protect the bulk tank. If I put the arrestor at the torch, it leaves an additional 12 to 25 feet of possible failure points between the arrestor and the tank for most of us.

This will take time to load, it's image-heavy.
http://tinyurl.com/62kta4
http://preview.tinyurl.com/62kta4
Old 2008-11-28, 8:48am
Gentleman of Leisure

Actually if hose is damaged by puncture or cut or even a burn through, it is not a flashback and flashback arrestor will have no effect....

A cut, damaged or burned through hose is just simply a "leak". NOT the same as the EXPLOSIVE EVENT a flashback is.

Dale

Old 2008-11-28, 9:57am

Actually, both these flashback arrestor manufacturers seem to think it is possible to have a "burn back" or a "flash back" to the fuel or oxygen tank if the hose is compromised.

Western suggests putting one at the regulator and one at the torch - of course that doubles their sales. The other one puts it at the regulator.

This is from Western Enterprises
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHCMF...eature=related

This is from another manufacturer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ohVQekwuo

I'm on a surface mix Minor, so technically I'm not supposed to be able to have a "flashback" - but things don't always go the way they are "supposed to" in my little world, so maybe I should put one on both ends just in case.
Old 2008-11-28, 11:05am
Mary Lockwood

See what I mean?

Dale, no it isn't a flashback proper, but can't the arrestor still stop whatever fire might travel up the hose from making it to the regulator? THAT is what I was worried about.

I guess I think like the navy. If that hose wants to explode and kill me, at least save my family and my house and anything not standing right next to it. Of course, I'd rather not check out this early which is why I wanted to know if in a 12' hose there is enough fuel to BOOM...or if it would just POP and burn.

I'm beginning to think I just need an arrestor at both ends of the hose and be done with it.

~~Mary

Old 2008-11-28, 11:56am
Yell Fire!!!

Default Would not recommend putting flashbacks @ torch

I used to work in a production shop where we had an incident with an exploding oxygen hose at the flashback arrestor. It completely shredded the hose right at the flashback arrestor where it was connected to the liquid oxygen tank. It shredded about a foot and 1/2. It looked like spaghetti. What happened was: there were 2 torches connected with a "Y" connector. One of the guys on that line was working on a Carlisle cc burner full blast and the other guy connected to it had a small National torch. The guy with the national lit his torch. At first, it was fine; the torch lit (small flame). As soon as he turned on his oxygen...instead of the flame coming out like normal. There was so much oxygen raging from the carlisle cc, that is pulled his flame through the lines and exploded right at the liquid tank. It sounded like a shotgun blast in the shop. When I heard it, I thought that a propane tank blew up. Everyone took off running outside immediately. Everyone was too affraid to go back inside to see what had happened. After about 10 minutes, we decided to go in and check it out. After going inside we saw that the oxygen hose was barely hanging on by a thread. If we didn't have a flashback arrestor on the tank we would have all been killed. And pretty much evryone in a 1/2 mile radius in the area, cause the liquid tank was full. It opened all of our eyes in a big way. And if you would of seen what happened to the hose, you would understand why I would not recommend putting it right at your torch. If that happened in your lap, it would cause serious body damage. "Use flashback arrestors"......always....no exceptions! Be safe and stay safe! Sincerely, Mark McCourt-

Old 2008-11-28, 4:39pm
jessica barksdale

thanks for sharing your story to help keep us safe, mark. i've leaned torwards regulator-mount FBA's for the reasons others have stated, & your experience has confirmed that.

i'm curious though -- what kind of damage did the hose bursting cause? could it have hit or injured anyone? i'm just wondering if i should say screw it & install FBA's at regulator & torch.

thanks again.

jes

|
Old 2008-11-29, 2:03pm
jessica barksdale

okay i think i need to rephrase because what i'm asking isn't quite clear..
i'm just wondering, does the hose itself EXPLODE or does it burst off of the regulator or torch?

maybe i should search youtube for a video.

jes

|
Old 2008-11-29, 3:32pm
Mary Lockwood

That is exactly what I haven't been able to get an answer to either, Jes.

Mark's story is scary, but it is oxygen tank, not propane so it doesn't really tell us what we want to know either. I agree with arrestors, always...whether you believe you need one or not (surface mix)...but I just want to know which end of the damn hose to put it on and if I pick the wrong end...what will happen?

Old 2008-11-29, 3:45pm
jessica barksdale

i'm glad i'm not alone, mary.
i'm thinking i'm going to get the ones to put at my regulator first (as i'm still trying to scrounge together the last few things i need to set up shop) & when i have the money buy ones to put on my torch, too.
i have a premix torch (national 3b) so this stuff really freaks me out. its driving me crazy trying to figure out how to not blow up.

right now this is what i'm picturing: the hose flies off the regulator & spews fire all over the place, flame-thrower style. it would make for a good action scene - someone call spielberg!

jes

|
Old 2008-12-02, 3:40pm

This is from an Employee here at Sundance Glass speaking off his experience, this is not from or to represent Sundance Glass.

"There are a few reasons for a flashback to happen: 1) The pressure in a line drops but the fuel isn't cut off either to the point that the flame and oxygen can feed backwards fast enough to reach a stopping point (be it arrestor, tank, or a regulator you have turned off.), 2) The direction of flow suddenly changes or there is a change in flow as the Carlisle story has shown, 3) A pinch in the line opens causing a backflow or liquidified fuel has rapidly started burning (Such as say some liquid propane starts climbing the tank and it'll burn stronger from the vaporized propane) causing the flame to go in reverse for a period of time. An example of number three you can see is if one was to fill a bottle that has a tiny opening compared to the bulk containing the fuel. If lit on fire, it'll burn the most vaporized fuel, but if squeezed, suddenly a larger flame will go out and then be sucked into the bottle. That is basically a flash back. My experience, risk the hose. I've had my lines flashback due to liquid propane, and I've seen a flashback from a line compressed then opened.

By keeping the flash back arrestor by the regulator for me, a great idea, espically with flashbacks combined with quick connects. The arrestor killed the flame from going further down the line into the tank, giving me enough time to disconnect the line and shut off the propane so the fuel just burned off in seconds, melting a bit of my tube, but helped keep it from destroy my setup and myself. MAKE SURE YOU SHUT OFF THE LINE FIRST AND FOREMOST, otherwise you're exposing a flame feed to an open flame that can just become another flashback. In the event of a compression in the line that reopens, the arrestor basically grabbed the flame from going farther, and my friend had to restart his torch, but that is a minor price to pay for not blowing up a studio. The main reason I say keep it past the tubes, is if a tube gets punctures or melts, and the fuel is turned down low enough for the flame to feed in, it can come back in a flash back, and if the arrestor is after the leak, the arrestor has become obsolete and cannot do anything to help. This is my personal experience and view, and of course, you can only really go off the maximum safety. I have not experienced an explosion of any kind from a fuel flashback, but excessive pressure flashbacks in oxygen are more of a common thing. Since the oxygen is going out at higher pressure and more of it is coming out, it has a much more intense pressure and risk of harm if it flows back and bursts."

Old 2008-12-03, 9:42am
Gentleman of Leisure

Lets me see if I have this right....

We now have two documented cases of purposefully sacrificing a $25 hose set by placing a flashback arrestor at the regulator....

I wonder of the sanity of this?.... Seems to me if flashback arrestors were placed AT TORCH, there would be no need to sacrifice a $25 hose and cut into production time by having to probably acquire a new hose and installing it..

Seems to me a flashback arrestor at torch would have saved BOTH hose and regulator...

What am I missing here?

Dale

Old 2008-12-04, 2:10pm
Mary Lockwood

Well, the hose IS cheaper than the arrestor so basically, put an arrestor at the regulator and have an extra hose back up so that if you melt it, you are only out of operation as long as it takes to switch out the hose.

For me it isn't about saving the hose OR the regulator...it is about saving people.

Dale, I'm NOT arguing with you, I was asking whether or not you thought a hose melt-through, ignited, would burn back all the way to the tank if you didn't have an arrestor at the regulator. THAT was my question.

Say something happens to the hose, I know...extremely unlikely...almost as unlikely as a flashback on a surface mix torch. Does an arrestor installed at the torch stop that flame from traveling to the tank? Ummm, no. So an arrestor at the tank makes sense to me.

Now, an arrestor at the torch makes better sense completely when dealing with a flashback...but flashbacks aren't the only thing that can happen.

~~Mary

Old 2008-12-04, 5:01pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Dale, I'm NOT arguing with you, I was asking whether or not you thought a hose melt-through, ignited, would burn back all the way to the tank if you didn't have an arrestor at the regulator. THAT was my question.

~~Mary
A burn back is NOT a Flash Back!.... The force of the the fuel (pressure/volume) should blow the flame away from hose end not allowing it to travel up the hose.... Same principle that keeps the flame those few centimeters off the face of your surface mix torch....

Actually a quality regulator "should" have a integral check valve at regulator outlet (although a lot don't) to prevent such things as regulator damage from a flash back or burn back...

Yes I have given a great deal of thought to the subject of regulators...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-12-04 at 5:06pm.
Old 2008-12-04, 5:57pm
Mary Lockwood

Thank you, Dale. I know you have given a great deal of thought to these matters. Why do you think that after 6 years of being on forums with you I always come to you with the big questions?

Even if I don't come to you directly...I know where you are and I know what gets you to post. Even if I do irritate you a little bit.

I appreciate you taking the time to help us understand.

~~Mary

Old 2008-12-05, 12:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
A burn back is NOT a Flash Back!.... The force of the the fuel (pressure/volume) should blow the flame away from hose end not allowing it to travel up the hose.... Same principle that keeps the flame those few centimeters off the face of your surface mix torch....

Actually a quality regulator "should" have a integral check valve at regulator outlet (although a lot don't) to prevent such things as regulator damage from a flash back or burn back...

Dale
About applying that same "principle" to the torch & the hose ...if the force of the fuel - would - keep the flame from entering the torch, we - wouldn't - need the arrestor on our surface mix torch at all.

In fact, only if the flame does enter the torch, or does enter the hose or does enter the tank through some unforeseen situation or drop in pressure, do we need a flashback arrestor at all. If it makes sense to protect the hose while using a surface mix torch, then it makes just as much sense to protect the tank.

And, a check valve isn't designed to extinguish a flame, so it won't protect against a flashback or a burn back to the regulator. Mechanically, the check valve only prevents reverse flow of the gas.
The arrestor prevents reverse flow of the gas and the flame.
Old 2008-12-05, 7:12am
Mary Lockwood

I love this thread. I really do, I'm not being sarcastic. It is these kinds of discussions that iron out important wrinkles.

I still have the arrestor at the regulator. My personal issue now is whether or not to put one at the torch end TOO, because I do refuse to remove the one from the regulator end of the hose.

I've been doing research on what flow problem could be caused by having arrestors at both ends of the hose but obviously it isn't like I'm running a huge flame thrower or have several hooked together with a large fuel demand.

I would think running the pressure a little higher would counteract any flow problem caused by having two arrestors inline.

That would solve all the problems and answer all the questions and cover all the bases.

Overkill...likely...but is there ever truly overkill with safety? I think not. An ounce of prevention and all that.

~~Mary

Old 2008-12-05, 11:50am
jessica barksdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I love this thread. I really do, I'm not being sarcastic. It is these kinds of discussions that iron out important wrinkles.

I still have the arrestor at the regulator. My personal issue now is whether or not to put one at the torch end TOO, because I do refuse to remove the one from the regulator end of the hose.

I've been doing research on what flow problem could be caused by having arrestors at both ends of the hose but obviously it isn't like I'm running a huge flame thrower or have several hooked together with a large fuel demand.

I would think running the pressure a little higher would counteract any flow problem caused by having two arrestors inline.

That would solve all the problems and answer all the questions and cover all the bases.

Overkill...likely...but is there ever truly overkill with safety? I think not. An ounce of prevention and all that.

~~Mary
i'm right there with you. & hey, its better to feel really, really safe so you can conentrate on making pretties instead of being insanely worried about blowing up.

i'd be really interested to know how the two sets of fba's work out, so please keep us updated when you get them on what kind of adjustments you had to make, like if/how much you turned up your pressure, etc.

thanks to everyone for sharing all their information to help keep us safe.

jes

|