No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-03-22, 6:02pm
Melting

Default Hair protection (I know, weird)

I have a respirator that protects my face and glasses that protect my eyes. Not to mention my jeans have saved my legs on more than one occasion (I learned to refrain from wear shorts the hard way!). My husband is concerned about what's protecting my hair. Do any of you wear any kind of hat or hood to protect your hair? I always pull it back but it is still exposed and I have to admit, I would be upset if it caught on fire, especially where it is pulled close to my scalp!
I'm open to suggestions and obviously with summer on the way I would prefer something that won't make me sweat like crazy like a knit hat would!
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-03-22, 6:34pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

if you want to wear something on your head, it should be a natural fiber like cotton - a cotton scarf or something like that would be good.

I know chrissij set her hair on fire not too long ago.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-03-23, 3:39am

I make sure I don't have styling products in mine and keep it pulled back and out of my way. I've had one bit of glass wind up in my hair in the 5 or so years I've been doing this. It singed a few strands.

On the other hand, I've owned a propane grill for just a few years, and had a nice fireball across my face in the last few months, which cost me around a quarter inch of hair around my hairline and half of my eyebrows. Luckily I was wearing glasses, lol, or I'd probably be growing back eyelashes, too.
Old 2010-03-23, 4:50am

You could always go with the tinfoil hat.....

Old 2010-03-23, 5:28am
Melting

I like the cotton scarf idea, thanks Squid!

Unfortunately I have thick curly hair so o styling products is not an option for me!

As far as the tin foil hat goes, my neighbors already think I'm weird! lol

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-03-23, 6:30am
Biscuit Lover

While I don't actually *know* of anyone who makes Kevlar hats, once upon a time it would have saved me some hair!
Old 2010-03-23, 6:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnehlers View Post
I like the cotton scarf idea, thanks Squid!

Unfortunately I have thick curly hair so o styling products is not an option for me!

As far as the tin foil hat goes, my neighbors already think I'm weird! lol

Thanks for the replies, everyone!
Um, middle of the back length natural curly hair. I keep extra conditioner in my hair most of the time, but if I've put gel, mousse, or hairspray in it, I wash it before torching.

After that grill run in, I'm glad I do. I'd used a ton of hairspray earlier, and I'm sure it contributed to how much hair burned off.
Old 2010-03-23, 7:49am
Melting

It's not how it looks, it's how it feels. If I don't put something in it to smooth it, it irritates the back of my neck to the point that I'll scratch my skin until it bleeds. Even when it is pulled back I have tiny bits of hair that are too short around my hair line and won't stay pinned back. I don't put much in my hair anyway, just leave in conditioner and curl creme. I never use hair spray and very rarely use a tiny drop of gel.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-03-23, 8:05am

My hair goes to the middle of my back too. Course and curly I keep it all in a clip. Figured out hair burns about my second time on the torch!
Old 2010-03-23, 8:45am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

For the most part hair hasn't been an issue in my experience, except for this one time.

While pretty much every friend, guest or student has their hair pulled back and out of the way, I'v had only one unfortunate and very memorable incident.

We were teaching in a hotel banquet room and a very nice old woman, you know, with the fluffy blue hair with lots of hairspray. She happened to be sitting under the AC duct, trying and trying to light her torch, then POOF! The big ball of ignited propane engulfed her hair. The teacher was further away and busy, and I was the TA, so naturally I was the one in position to go running to her aide. I dove for the cup of water next to the torch. I only got my hand wet, and patted the burned area. Needless to say she was just fine (no skin burns), but she went home with a shorter hair style.

Now I am very aware of how long the propane has been on without being ignited, we don't want another POOF!

That was my only experience with burned hair, but I guess wearing a hat would work.

Old 2010-03-23, 1:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen milligan View Post
While I don't actually *know* of anyone who makes Kevlar hats, once upon a time it would have saved me some hair!
While probably know what you were thinking of, I do carry hoods that cover the entire head, made of either Kevlar:

or Nomex

Probably not the best choice for torching in the summer, though

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-03-23, 1:53pm
Never give up

I always wear my baseball cap. I pull my hair back and put my hair in the cap. Nothing shows. I have thin hair so this works for me.
Old 2010-03-23, 1:57pm
Growing Edge Glass

Okay Malcolm....if you start to carry one that is like a stocking cap or baseball cap without the bill on it....I'd buy one! Although.... having a disk bead shatter into a bunch of pieces, one of which "stuck" to the front of my throat and burnt "inward"....I might like the bottom head/throat/hair protection!!

I'm serious about the cap one!!!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-03-23, 2:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truewealth View Post
Okay Malcolm....if you start to carry one that is like a stocking cap or baseball cap without the bill on it....I'd buy one! Although.... having a disk bead shatter into a bunch of pieces, one of which "stuck" to the front of my throat and burnt "inward"....I might like the bottom head/throat/hair protection!!

I'm serious about the cap one!!!
Just spent a little time searching and surfing ... How about this?

http://www.massif.com/massif-gear/un...ch-beanie.html

or, here's another one ...

https://www.firemecca.com/p-1036-kevlar-r-knit-cap.aspx

Malcolm

Email:

Last edited by ArtcoInc; 2010-03-23 at 2:36pm.
Old 2010-03-23, 2:39pm
Melting

Malcom, those are so cool! I can't find them on your site to check the pricing. Definitely too hot for summer, but they might work in the colder months and help keep me warm, too!

I wonder how hot that beanie would be.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-03-23, 3:04pm
Growing Edge Glass

I like the massif cap.....perfect! The only thing that would be better is a flame/burn resistant do-rag...as it would be cooler in the summer. I do like that first site though...thanks for looking!!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-03-23, 3:17pm
Melting

So funny you said that - I just bought this one on Ebay!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-03-23, 3:17pm
Melting

Thank you so much for the help everyone! It got me thinking and I was able to find the one above.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-03-23, 3:19pm
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnehlers View Post
So funny you said that - I just bought this one on Ebay!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
That looks perfect!! Too funny! Thanks!!!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-03-23, 4:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truewealth View Post
The only thing that would be better is a flame/burn resistant do-rag...as it would be cooler in the summer.
Like this?

http://www.firemecca.com/p-543-fire-...-head-tie.aspx

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2010-03-23, 5:31pm
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
That would have worked too....but I grabbed one of the fitted do-rags on ebay that tnehlers posted...so I'm happy now to know I won't lose my hair while torching!! thanks for looking/posting the pics though!!!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-03-25, 4:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
While probably know what you were thinking of, I do carry hoods that cover the entire head, made of either Kevlar:

or Nomex

Probably not the best choice for torching in the summer, though

Malcolm
Where's Nikki? Anyone else thinking "Monty Python's Knights"????

I have mid-length fine annoying hair--it gets twisted up in a clip or barrette before I torch, just so I don't have to keep pushing it back out of my way...& so it doesn't static to everything!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-03-25, 4:23pm

Definitely Month Python.

Mine's back in a ponytail or braid, and I wear a bandana when torching - cotton, thanks.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-03-26, 12:28pm
Melting

I just got mine today (from the link posted above). I'm really happy with it!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2010-03-26, 12:30pm
Growing Edge Glass

Great...still waiting on mine...probably tomorrow! So glad you posted that link!!!

-jewelry~~~
~~~