Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-05-12, 6:37am
Detail G-Mama!

Default Greenhouse for studio?

Ok, I've see a greenhouse being used for a studio and I was wondering just how good this would be? I found a small one, a little over 6'x8' (it's all I would need) for about $700. It's very sturdy, polycarbonate windows, venting, uv protection, etc. All I would need to add is the flooring and heater/ac. I'm sooooo wanting to get my house back and I thought this would be a cheap alternative. I can set it on my patio since we can't put a building in the yard. Any thoughts on this? Here's a link to the one I'm talking about, it's at the bottom of the page, called the Silverline. http://www.texasgreenhouse.com/order/rion1.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Anne Ricketts; 2007-05-12 at 7:16am.
Old 2007-05-12, 9:20am
Gentleman of Leisure

I think you may find it to be to light!...... I personally would consider a wood shed that can be insulated and or sheet rocked (gypsum board) and may be climate controlled for summer/winter weather changes.... While we all need light to work by, I think you will find a green house is more like working under a magnifying glass....

Trying to air condition a green house is kind of an oxymoron....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-05-12 at 9:24am.
Old 2007-05-12, 10:04am

Hot. No matter how many windows you open.
Old 2007-05-12, 11:32am
Detail G-Mama!

I thought about throwing an awning over the top of it and I would definitly need the ac put in, maybe 2 for the summer! Dale I would much prefer that also but since I can't put a building out in the yard, I thought this would be good up on the patio.

Old 2007-05-12, 12:13pm

My studio is in our four-seasons sunroom with a glass ceiling.During the day there is so much bright light that I can't see the flame! I get up early, so I can torch until about 11:00 in the morning now but I'm sure it will get earlier as the summer wears on.

If I was going to get a shed, I'd at least get something with a non-transparent roof. My dream studio is an old 1950's Airstream trailer, LOL.
Old 2007-05-12, 12:16pm
Cancer SUCKS!

I would think that you could put some sort of drape on the inside of it.

My daughter got her first job and is working at a temporary greenhouse in a grocery store parking lot.

They put of some black mesh on the inside of it where the cash register is.

I would think you could make it work.

Old 2007-05-12, 12:17pm
Against the Grain

Hot hot comes to mind.
Explain to me how the power bill for 2 ac in the summer = cheap alternative?
I have a greenhouse that size and it does get hot (note that I live waaay north of Texas), so unless you are planning to baste yourself, I'd be looking at another solution.
Side note: it is a nice greenhouse.

under construction

HELLCAT! with 2 oxycons and household NG (yes I will be increasing the oxy)

D-41
Old 2007-05-12, 2:49pm
Covered in glitter

There is a special wash for the windows that will diffuse the light. If you had a canopy that you could put completely over it that might help with the heat. We have a greenhouse room on the second floor of our house off the bathroom and it is amazingly hotter than the rest of the house even with the AC on. For that price you could probably get something more functional that would use less energy. Electricity isn't cheap!

I love the greenhouse and I'd LOVE to have something like that for a studio but I just don't think it's really very practical.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-05-12, 2:51pm
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon View Post
My dream studio is an old 1950's Airstream trailer, LOL.
Now your talking! We've looked around for those also but dang, you'd think they were made of gold for what they are asking!

Old 2007-05-12, 3:34pm
Rare Florida Native

We were very lucky two years ago and bought a 1960's Streamline "Empress" trailer for $2500.00 - we don't pull it but have it on our property for when we have company - they just don't make travel trailers like that anymore. Similar to the Airstream's.

It was a deal!

The greenhouse idea sounds good but the heat/hot would be a big factor......what about a small garden shed from Home Depot, Menards, etc. - that could make a nice compact studio.

Last edited by C-Ann; 2007-05-12 at 3:37pm. Reason: forgot something :)
Old 2007-05-12, 3:41pm
birdergirl ~o~

Anne,
I have a very cool carport ~ might work for you I'll try to find a pic.
Nice greenhouse though!
My studio is 6 x 8 !
Works fine, but I am definatly pushing on all 4 walls!
Back later with pic!
I finally ( after temporarily living in it for 12 years) gave away my 1957 NewMoon ( hence the name) trailer,
It would have been a good studio but now I have a house!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~

Last edited by cadia; 2007-05-12 at 3:46pm. Reason: Trailer
Old 2007-05-15, 11:36am
William Hagy

Hahaaaaaa....A Greenhouse!?!? think of all the bonus features!!! ~you can grow your veggies, and your houseplants will love you, you can toss water on a plile of rocks in the corner to give you a little steam for tired & sore muscles...... lose an instant 20-30lbs from sweating....your arms and face will have a great tan .....but the down side it will be Hotter than Hell ~so why not!?! lol!

~Hope you get things worked out

....a little shed is a little shed and its really not a building untill you hook up power....so why not go solar? ~you could be the first on LE to have a solar powered studio shed

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2007-05-15, 11:44am
Detail G-Mama!

Well now we certainly have the sun for solar, just don't know if it would be enough to run a kiln, 2 concentrators and lighting! I actually have been throwing the idea around of growing my own vegies so you werent' far off! I want to move out of this house really bad but we don't want to leave the area until Cam gets out of school in more years!

Old 2007-05-15, 5:37pm
He can do the origami

Anne, try FREECYCLE I know of someone who got a small travel trailer for free through freecycle. It was in poor shape but perfect for restoring as a studio. Good luck with whatever you find.

Otter
Old 2007-05-15, 5:43pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Hey Anne,

I checked ebay for a trailer for you, but found nothing.

We were out in the country one day a few years ago and found one for sale at a garage sale. It was $300. We gutted the inside, painted, and am working on covering the cushions.

It really is cute.

Old 2007-05-15, 5:52pm
Detail G-Mama!

Thanks Otter! Got my email in there for alerts! Deb your lucky! Can't wait to see it!

Old 2007-05-15, 6:21pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
Thanks Otter! Got my email in there for alerts! Deb your lucky! Can't wait to see it!
I should have clarified my post.

It wasn't bought for a studio as of yet. Maybe someday. It is being used as a camper. It is pretty cute. Painted it yellow with a burnt red accents inside.

Old 2007-05-15, 6:53pm
Detail G-Mama!

Sounds cute! I'd still like to see it!

Old 2007-05-16, 9:27am

I built a greenhouse a few years ago using the 6mm double wall polycarbonate panels. These panels insulte very well and I can assure you that keeping it warm in winter was a lot easier than cooling in the summer. I ended up using it as a greenhouse in winter and a wood kiln to dry turning blanks in the summer. These things get HOT, even with heavy shade cloth over them. You'll still need to use some sort of directed ventilation over your torch area or the whole thing will fill with medium density torch fume before you get it vented.

Robert
Old 2007-05-16, 10:09am
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
You'll still need to use some sort of directed ventilation over your torch area or the whole thing will fill with medium density torch fume before you get it vented.

Robert
I'm in the testing stage of one of these. I guess I'm just going to stay where I'm at until we move, I just am tired of having a business instead of a house because my business is spread all over the house!

Old 2007-05-16, 10:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
I'm in the testing stage of one of these. I guess I'm just going to stay where I'm at until we move, I just am tired of having a business instead of a house because my business is spread all over the house!
We know all too well how that goes. We built a studio last year - attached to the house - to get at least part of the business located in one spot instead of all over the place. It makes it all much easier.

Robert
Old 2007-05-16, 11:44am
William Hagy

Now I have been thinking...........I have wanted to use an ocean container for a studio....waterproof it,bury it ans wala ~studio~ the upside to all this is the new owners would have a bomb shelter not to mention the geothermo air reduces the temp inside......you could have a parascope for keeping an eye on your kids and pets or your DH when approaching for dindin....a sky light for plants ....a fire pole to slide in to work on beads!!! check into some available state or Gov. grants on recycling or ecologicaly sound innovations such as this....you may get a free studio that runs on solar power AND is cooled by Mother Earth

Old 2007-05-16, 12:58pm
Detail G-Mama!

Well there ya go William!! The only prob here is we sit on rock and clay, not that good stuff ya'll have up there! Right around the corner there is the perfect studio for me, it's one of those small construction metal office buildings that you see at construction sites, the only problem is they want $2400 for it! Too much out of the budget right now and I don't know that neighbors would care too much for that in the driveway!

Old 2007-05-16, 1:34pm
William Hagy

Oh Darn it!!!!!!! well back to the drawing board. ~Hope you get things worked out!

~W~

Old 2007-05-17, 7:33am
Gentleman of Leisure

Have you tried a GOOGLE search for "garden shed"...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal