Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2017-07-18, 4:58pm

Default clear on clear scum line

I am doing wrap around stripes. When I add clear to the sides of the bead (to get the stripe to wrap) I get a white scum line.

I have pickled my clear (am using super clear).

I do my best to be gentle with heating and work at the top of the flame.

The scum line appears where the new line of clear meets/contacts the first melt.

Any ideas on what causes the scum and how can I manage to avoid this as much as I can?

As always, thanks for any help.
Old 2017-07-18, 6:12pm

Fallowing
Old 2017-07-18, 6:35pm
Slogan Challenged...

that sounds frustrating! If you have cleanned the rods, then you might have too much propane in your flame. Propane tends to haze the glass.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2017-07-19, 5:37am

Pickling the clear is good, but if there are a lot of scratches...well, they'll be clean but still scratches. Do you have any pictures? Because "The scum line appears where the new line of clear meets/contacts the first melt." sounds like trapped air as well.

Lots of ways for clear to drive us nuts. Flame chemistry -as Kristin said-, micro scratches, technique...I just use Double Helix Zephyr when I want to encase.

Old 2017-07-19, 8:03pm
I'm meeeeelting

The other thing that can cause that line is temperature difference (base bead a lot cooler than the glass you're adding.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2017-07-20, 4:05pm

Thanks for all the replies.

artsyuno: Yes, I wondered if that was a thing. I tend to let the base bead loose any glow to stop the bead distorting/twisting and ruining my straight lines of my stripe. I will work on that aspect today.

3muses: trapped air is why I stopped using regular 006. I can see the bubbles form as I heat the regular 006 no matter how I do it. I know what bubbles look like now but I don't think that is the problem in this case.

Kjohn: I have already explored if my flame mix might be the problem but it is a line that appears where the two clears join, not an overall haze. Also, love the raspberry and turquoise beads from the other thread.

chococake: fishbicycle

Tags
clear, clear on clear