Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-07-23, 1:48pm

Default edp question

Is there trick to edp with a Minor and tanked o2? I love using the color but you know the old chalky look you get. how do you make it shine? sometimes it looks okay, but most of the time it comes out so chalky. any tips?
thanks
Cyndi
Old 2006-07-23, 2:52pm

Hi Cindy
I found if I made a bead with EDP and saw it was "chalky" if I put it back in the flame and reduced the LPG or bumped up the O 2 a little this most times got rid of the chalk.
regards
Gary
Old 2006-07-23, 3:10pm

Link to thread on page 2, search under "evil purple" for lots and lots of related posts
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-07-23, 6:35pm

There's this little thing I did one time making EDP spacers and they were getting on my last nerve. LOL! Sometimes they would come back with no devit after I got them glowing and chased the devit away, but some of them were especially boogery so I hit them with a redux flame. It makes them look kind of sooty and shiny/reduced at the same time, but that's OK. I takes maybe 3 seconds tops in etching liquid to get that scum off. After a little more experimenting it seems that if you get the bead glowing and hit it with redux while it's still glowing it turns out better.
Anyway, that's only my experience with EDP and spacers. You have to etch them a little afterwards, but really only about 3 seconds and even a little less. Get them under water right away and the rest of the crud will come off if you rub it or maybe with a toothbrush. They're not going to be shiny that way though but a nice purple with a really soft etch.

Old 2006-07-23, 6:53pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

Try flame polishing way out at the edge of the flame and putting them in the kiln still a bit glowing. I am on a Lynx with tanked O2 but that shouldn't make too much of a difference.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2006-07-23, 8:14pm
Glassaholic

Don't worry about any of the devitrification as you're working on your bead. When you are finished and just before you're ready to put the bead into the kiln, heat the surface of your EDP until it looks wet. Then take it out of the flame and put it right into the kiln. The trick is not to go back into the flame. I learned this from Jen Geldard, and I've never had a problem with EDP since!