Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Calls for Entries, etc.

Calls for Entries, etc. -- Calls for Entries, Contests, Exhibits, etc.

Old 2009-02-28, 11:25am
Mary Lockwood

Default Fun Only! Glass Olympics Spring Fling- prizes

Just for fun! This is not a big deal competition and is meant mainly to get the community involved in something together so I hope there is a lot of participation. Open to everyone who does glass of any kind- beginner through advanced...there are 2 different categories and 3 winners.

You do not need to make new pieces to enter into this! If you have ever made anything spring themed and have a picture of it on your hard drive...please, feel free to enter it. I just want to see pretty stuff! LOL

Click below to visit the contest page and enter.

http://www.marylockwood.com/glassolympics

How to ENTER:

1- click public uploader
2- select photos to upload
3- include title of work, your name, and the word gold or silver with each image when you upload
4- leave email address field blank
5- click finish upload
6- contact me with any changes you would like made

It isn't mandatory, but I recommend signing up to my mailing list if you enter the contest. You can do that from my 'Contact Me' page on my site. That is because I'll be using the mailing list to make announcements about the contest and this way you will be sure to get them.

I really really hope that people will participate in this. I think it will be fun and we sure could use some spring time!

Once we start getting entries into the contest, be sure to check back occasionally and leave positive comments on the images. They count toward the judging and voting. Everybody gets a say!

~~Mary

I forgot to give dates...Duh!

The Glass Olympics is open for entries now!

The competition will be closed to entries on April Fool's Day - 4/1/09
Voting for the competition opens on April 2nd, you can vote once in each category- 4/2/09
*You do not need to have an entry into the competition to vote.
*Detailed voting instructions will be provided closer to time.
Voting is closed and random winner drawing will be done May 4th- 5/4/09
Winners will be announced May 5th, Cinquo de Mayo!- 5/5/09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Moth; 2009-03-06 at 7:47am.
Old 2009-02-28, 12:46pm
boro color bender

Very cool Mary! Let me put on my thinking cap!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-02-28, 1:29pm

Mary, you're great.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-02-28, 2:22pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Mary, this is fun! I participated, but I can't see my uploaded pics myself, is that right?

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-02-28, 7:44pm
Mary Lockwood

Hi Anouk.

From what I had my settings at Bravenet (that I'm using to host the album), I had it set to public so everybody could be sure their pictures uploaded.

But the way it has worked in reality is that each person gets a private album (that only I can see), then I move the images and then delete your album.

If I wanted it to be the other way, I think I'd have to upgrade to a more expensive hosting plan and I don't want to do that if I don't have to.

So, I thought you would be able to see your images as you upload them, but apparently that isn't going to happen.

You just have to upload them and then I move them into the category and then everybody can see them.

Yours are moved now, so if you want to check them, they are there to see!

I will move images several times a day, so if you go a whole day without seeing your images in their correct category, then there was a problem with your upload and you need to try again.

Thanks for participating Anouk.

It is really fun to see pictures in the Gold category!

I'm off to fix all the text that says you will be able to see your images immediately. Dang it. LOL

Old 2009-03-02, 8:45pm
Mary Lockwood

This is just a notice to let people know that you do not have to make new pieces to enter into the Glass Olympics!

The only guideline at all is that your entries be themed for spring. It can be older work.

Thanks!
~~Mary

Old 2009-03-03, 3:00pm

I uploaded a dragonfly on daisy pix! I leave it to you if I'm gold or silver.. got my first torch Feb 14, 2008, don't make any effort to sell glass other than having an etsy shop and website that I don't promote cept here in my signature. I just love playing with glass, don't care if I ever sell any.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-03-03, 4:00pm
StudioMarcy

what a fun idea. I'll be thinking about it.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2009-03-03, 4:07pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Mary, I got your newsletter and I did see the beads in the right place. Not a problem for me, but it's good that peeps know you can't see your pics at first .

Now come on everyone, where are those spring beads???

Or is it an April's Fool joke and am I the only one falling for it ?

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-03-03, 6:07pm

What a wonderful idea, I will try to find something spring like. The only thing I can think of is some I did when I was trying to learn twisties, they aren't that great but they are spring like. This will be fun to see what other people have made.
Sandra
Old 2009-03-03, 6:36pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hels View Post
I uploaded a dragonfly on daisy pix! I leave it to you if I'm gold or silver.. got my first torch Feb 14, 2008, don't make any effort to sell glass other than having an etsy shop and website that I don't promote cept here in my signature. I just love playing with glass, don't care if I ever sell any.
Hi!

I loved the picture you entered and because you didn't specify which category, I put you into the intermediate. Then I read your post and saw you've only been flameworking a year. I moved your into the beginner category, but if you want moved back to gold, just let me know!

I never would have guessed you were so new!

~~Mary

Old 2009-03-03, 6:37pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Lover View Post
Mary, I got your newsletter and I did see the beads in the right place. Not a problem for me, but it's good that peeps know you can't see your pics at first .

Now come on everyone, where are those spring beads???

Or is it an April's Fool joke and am I the only one falling for it ?
LOL, nope. I love to pull April Fool's jokes, but this isn't one of them. LOL

Two new entries today! It's rolling now! I hope it keeps up momentum.

This is fun!
~~Mary

Old 2009-03-03, 6:38pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by s38hyler View Post
What a wonderful idea, I will try to find something spring like. The only thing I can think of is some I did when I was trying to learn twisties, they aren't that great but they are spring like. This will be fun to see what other people have made.
Sandra
Got 'em! They sure look springy to me!

Thanks for entering, it is great to watch the album get more and more pictures.

~~Mary

Old 2009-03-03, 7:32pm

Thanks Moth. I ACTUALLY started when I took a beginning beading class Jan 27, 2008. Feb 14 was when I got my first torch of my own.

I don't know what to classify myself as actually... I think for glass, experience is really hard to gauge. Someone can have done glass for 10 years but put 2 hours 2x a month into it... others can lampwork 3 months and have the same hours the 10 year person put in in real time... but back to back experience with no relearning curve.

I took John Kobuki's marble class about 2-3 weeks after getting my first torch (2 months after hearing that lampworking existed), and I noticed that the moment I told the other students how long I had worked glass for... they stopped being interested in talking to me (well, that and my stringer pulling and maria making skills were rather lacking...).

The boulders I grew on both shoulders from my first month in glass DROVE me to do it 20 hours a day til I felt I was halfway decent at it, which for me was winning the GA Glass Challenge 6 months after touching a glass rod for the first time.

I just love contests, don't care if I don't actually win anything, they force me to think, they force me to challenge myself, and they give me a gauge of my progress. I'm just weird that way, I can't live knowing I'm suckage at anything I care about.

That said, you have to be one of the most interesting personalities in glass... as I said before, only a few give back to the community as much as you try to do, and always with such regard for newbies. I respect that a lot.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-03-04, 7:48am
Mary Lockwood

Helen,

Thank you very very much for your kind words...you've made my morning!

And yes, I totally agree with you can't measure experience by 'time'. There are just too many variables! You would have to measure aptitude, hours spent at the torch, what those hours were spent doing, talent, physical ability and lots more...too much for me to figure out that's for sure! That's why I was letting people pick their own category; it is hard to label people when you don't know their story.

With that said, if anyone ends up in a category and they want to move to the other one, just drop me a note. I'll put you wherever you want to go.

This is a fun-only competition. I don't have a big enough name to get you any prestige from winning...but at least that also means that if you don't win...that won't mean much either. LOL (How is THAT for motivation? Geez it's a good thing I don't work in public relations. I might be taking that comment out later as I come to my senses so read it quick before it's gone.)

~~Mary

Old 2009-03-04, 8:32am

no one has to win everything, it's FUN to enter contests!!

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-03-04, 10:49am
Mary Lockwood

It IS fun!

I just wanted to remind anyone who hasn't entered yet:

You do not have to put your email address in when uploading your images. It does give a text field for you to input an email address, but nothing bad happens if you leave it blank. Your picture will still upload just fine.

If you do fill it in, don't worry...I'll take the emails out when I put your pictures into the album, that way nobody can spam you or harvest your email address for dastardly deeds!

~~Mary

Old 2009-03-16, 6:35am
Mary Lockwood

Two more weeks left to enter! Voting starts April 2nd so if you've been thinking about sending in some pictures, I can't wait to see them!

Don't forget to leave comments for the entries that are already there.

~~Mary

Old 2009-03-16, 6:46pm
Midnight Torcher

This looks like fun! Thanks for putting this together, Mary!

Old 2009-03-31, 1:51pm
Mary Lockwood

Thanks San!

Just a reminder, tonight is the last night to enter the Glass Olympics!

Old 2009-04-01, 1:07pm
I speak Murrini!

Drats! Missed it! Still, wishing all those who entered best of luck! I was a day late...and had "Calla Lilies and Bells of Ireland" to enter - finally! Maybe next time...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro