Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-12, 1:12pm
Loving learning

Default fusing glass to make 96 clear frit for enclosure?

I tried searching, but didn't find the answer. Probably me, sorry

Anyway, I have some 96 rods that I bought a while back to use with my fusing glass, but I didn't buy clear, only red, blue, green, yellow & turq if I remember correctly.

I was driving today & got to thinking about the big jar of powder fine black frit I bought, and wondered if I could make frit out of some of my clear Spectrum 96 sheet glass to use with the rods. I thought maybe I could roll the beads in the pretty frit I've received, then melt in & roll in some home made clear to add a clear layer.

I can't think of any reason why not, but I don't know much yet, just enough to know there is still a ton to learn. I'm assuming the Spectrum 96 clear should be compatible with the rods I bought, and I'm hoping I could get enough of my homemade clear frit on there to make a complete layer of clear.

Any thoughts?
Old 2011-04-12, 1:30pm
I fart diamonds

Cut the Spectrum into strips and use it just like you would use your rods. It's compatible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-12, 1:54pm
Loving learning

Thanks Shawnette, I will cut some & give it a try.
I am wondering though if the frit will make a thin coating, but I'll just give it a try now that I'm sure it's compatible. If it works I may buy a jug of it next time I'm at the glass place.
Old 2011-04-12, 2:04pm
Rare Florida Native

What Shawnette says I bought some clear 96 frit for fusing in a 8oz container........it goes a long way!

Old 2011-04-12, 2:07pm
Loving learning

Charlotte, have you used it to roll your beads in also? How did you like the result if so?