Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-19, 3:42pm

Default Looking for tiny tubing to stabilize beads

OK I know this was discussed here a long while back. I've been hunting for clear plastic tubing that is 3mm OD to stick inside my beads to stabilize them when I wire them up for jewelry. I found some on the internet ... 100ft for $13 but they wanted $19 shipping!

Does anyone know where I can find this stuff at a decent price with reasonable shipping?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-19, 4:10pm
Rare Florida Native

I have never used tubing but I started using these Tierracast findings last year and they work well for keeping my beads stable when making jewelry.

Arrow Springs sells them by the 100 and I have also bought small quantities on Etsy.
http://www.arrowsprings.com/BeadAligners_Group.jpg

Good luck on the tubing search

Old 2012-01-19, 5:02pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I've been thinking about this, too. I like the idea of the bead aligners, too.
I've been using bugle beads with much better success than seedbeads, but I'm still on the lookout for more resilient plastic/rubber tubing.
Then again, I haven't been down to my local hardware shop for a while, either.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-01-19, 5:58pm
Queen Bee

I just ordered some flexible plastic tubing that has an od of 3/32, which I'm hoping will fit nicely inside a bead made on a 3/32 mandrel. It is pretty inexpensive. If it works, I'll carry it in my shop - shouldn't be more than .50/foot.

As soon as I get it, I'll post and let you know when it's available.

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry

Last edited by BeadBlossoms; 2012-01-19 at 6:01pm.
Old 2012-01-19, 6:16pm
Wonder-wench

my $0.02 on tubing. I ordered a couple of boxes of tiny surgical tubing from Amazon (I can provide specs later if anyone is interested) for the 3/32" and the 1/8" mandrel sizes.

the kind I ordered is very flexible and and on the one hand, if the bead release was thin (smaller diameter bead hole) it can be a PITA to get it inserted. On the other hand, if the bead release was thick (larger diameter bead hole) sometimes it just slips out, which can be dealt with by getting the wire wraps nice and tight. Also, I sometime have to cut it to fit after it gets stuck halfway into the hole, and then there is a little bit that sort of shows which bugs me, a lot.

I have many feet of this stuff (more than a lifetime supply, LOL), which I can bring to Arrow Springs on Saturday 01/21 for the ISGB event if anyone wants to look at it and snip some for tryouts.

Old 2012-01-19, 6:47pm

I use the rubber tubing that they make for pony beads. You can find it in black and white (more like a frosted clear) at Michael's, Hobby Lobby etc. I can't remember the name but it works really well.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2012-01-19, 6:52pm
Bryna - rhymes with China

Julie nordine carries it in her etsy shop. $0.50 shipping.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/68084155...nment-tubing-1

Last edited by bryna75; 2012-01-19 at 6:53pm. Reason: Added shipping cost
Old 2012-01-19, 7:08pm

Some years ago I needed something similar. My husband had some excess speaker wires stored in the basement (that's a man's mind for ya! LOL). Anyway, he stripped the wire and vuala....rubber tubing!

Old 2012-01-19, 7:28pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I get mine from Julie Nordine - Credit River Art Glass

Old 2012-01-19, 8:09pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Beadsmith makes it in black and clear. They use it for those Illusion necklaces. You can get it at any bead store. I like the option of using bead aligners or not.

Old 2012-01-19, 9:48pm

Thanks everyone. I have used the bead aligners and they're great but I want to use beadcaps on some things and they won't work for that.

I may end up buying several hundred feet and putting the extra in my etsy shop. We'll see.

Old 2012-01-20, 6:41am

This has been a good thread. I even bought coffee stirrers to insert. Too big. Bought tubing from Home Depot. Too thick.

Now I know! Thanks Darleen for asking the question.
Old 2012-01-20, 9:30am
Queen Bee

I think a reasonable price to buy it is at about .50/ft - I've seen some on etsy selling 3 ft for $5, even saw someone selling some tubing for $15. So it pays to look around -

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-01-20, 9:54am
uncouthful cats

Seems to me I saw Jacqueline of gemsinbloom selling some or at least talking about it a week or so ago. Might shoot her a pm to see if she has some, or what she recommends. Who else? Dang, I know some other LE peeps have it; you might ask this question in the customer kiosk to see if any local vendors pipe up.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2012-01-20, 10:01am
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by clan tabby View Post
Seems to me I saw Jacqueline of gemsinbloom selling some or at least talking about it a week or so ago. Might shoot her a pm to see if she has some, or what she recommends. Who else? Dang, I know some other LE peeps have it; you might ask this question in the customer kiosk to see if any local vendors pipe up.
I have tons but unfortunately it is packed up for moving. I love this stuff. Seed beads be gone!

Old 2012-01-20, 10:55am
burnin' glass just becuz

i just use tiny seed beads in glass or metal - they're cheap and work great.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-01-20, 10:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdb View Post
i just use tiny seed beads in glass or metal - they're cheap and work great.
Ditto and I have TONS of them. The Japanese seed beads were the best as the are smoother and tube shaped. I use bugles a lot.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2012-01-20, 1:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
Some years ago I needed something similar. My husband had some excess speaker wires stored in the basement (that's a man's mind for ya! LOL). Anyway, he stripped the wire and vuala....rubber tubing!
I've used the casing off speaker wire also. Worked just fine.

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Douglas Adams
Old 2012-01-20, 1:45pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Seed beads work but the tubing gives you an even more stable product. Once I tried it , I knew I would never go back to seed beads. And also, it is much quicker to put the jewelry together compared to messing with seed beads.

I actually rewired many of my pieces.

Old 2012-01-20, 6:30pm
Wyoming Silvers

I often use rubber earring nuts,,,the tapered ones shaped like a cone with a rim..If holenis to small just clip off the larger end,,( the rim). they work great and fit under your beadcap!

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2012-01-21, 1:02am
><>

There are a bunch of sizes here http://www.jehmco.com/html/tubing.html
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2012-01-21, 8:40am

If you make beads on a 3/32" mandrel, bugle beads fit perfect in them.

Old 2012-01-21, 4:32pm

Yeah Cynthia that's what I've been doing but the tubing works WAY better plus you can cut to fit the length of the bead.

Old 2012-01-21, 8:07pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Yes... and seed beads, especially bugle beads can be hard on your beading wire. I just like the feel of the rubber tubing...it softer.

Old 2012-01-22, 6:37am

Has anyone found tubing to fit a hole size smaller than 3/32? I use 5/64 mandrels and have been looking for tubing to fit this size, but about the closest I can find is 3/32. Unless of course I want to buy a metric crap ton of it for over $200. Then I can find the 2 mm stuff.

My Ebay
Old 2012-01-22, 1:45pm
Happy Inner Dragon

DH & SS brought back some electrical shrink tubing from a trip to Jaycar yesterday.
It fits into my 'middle' size bead holes ok, but I'm looking for the smaller stuff, too.
Then I got an idea....
Why not shrink the tubing directly onto the headpin?
I just tried it on a length of wire. It works!!!!
I can get beads made on 1.6mm mandrels to fit nice an snugly on the wire.
I've also just tried it on a proper headpin with beadcap already on it. Was a bit tricky using a creme brulee butane torch with the headpin and cap, and not to discolour it.
But it worked really well.

Yes, a lot of fluffing around, but with some test runs of how you want a pendant/earring/whatever to look,then cutting to size once the cap/s you want to use are threaded, a very quick waft of heat,and the tubing is stuck, and clean.

Yay me!

SRA# P107
Old 2012-01-22, 4:44pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Update... I've also tried shrinking on piece to a pin, then for bigger holes, managed to sleeve a new piece over the pre-shrunk bit, and shrunk that too. Works like a charm. And just a ciggie lighter does the job. No need for mucking around with the brulee torch.
And it's lovely and flexible - doesn't set hard, and bends with your wire.

I reckon it would make a great end protector for crimped loops, too.

God, I love it when something works

SRA# P107
Old 2012-01-22, 6:14pm

Thanks Rudy for the tip about speaker wire casing. We had some extra wire accumulating dust and I tried it using it this afternoon. Works really well ... and didn't cost anything.

Lyne
Old 2012-02-08, 10:29pm

Well I thought I'd do an update.

I did buy some from another lampworker but it barely accommodates 18g wire let alone 20g. So I bit the bullet and ordered a BUNCH from a supplier. I'll be putting it in my etsy store when it gets here. If you're interested keep an eye out. It may be another 3 or 4 days before it gets here.

Old 2012-02-10, 11:02am

Speaker wire............. I have a TON of. cost me nothing except the time to strip it apart.

and also ......