Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-12-15, 10:01pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Something to Share

I have received so much support and help along my lampwork journey over the years and I feel I have given so very very little back. I am actually a newbie when it comes down to it as I only played with the glass part time for many years. I was just too busy with my jewelry business. It has just been this past year where I have focussed most of my time on my glass skills.

I wanted to share a little trick I discovered this past week. Maybe others have already discovered it, not sure.......

I was having a hell of a time trying to get good photos for my glasswork to sell on Etsy. I have all the fancy lights, tent etc but it just was not working. When I realized my whole problem was lighting and the tent was not diffusing the light like I needed, it occurred to me that if I put the beads under water I may get a good result.

And here are the results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-12-15, 10:04pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Old 2009-12-15, 10:50pm

Unreal results they look good!!!!Im having a little trouble myself figuring out all the photo stuff too.

Karen Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-12-16, 5:33am

They look great. Exactly how do you put them under water, are you doing it in the tent.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2009-12-16, 7:03am
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

The reason that you are getting good results under water is because the water diffuses the light. You can achieve the same results by adding another layer of fabric, or other light modifier between your lights and the tent. The more diffusion, the softer the light.

Old 2009-12-16, 9:39am
Jacqueline Parkes

I understand the reasons . That is why I tried it. I wonder why I got so few responses. I thought people would be excited as I am lol

Oh wells!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MardiGrasGlass View Post
The reason that you are getting good results under water is because the water diffuses the light. You can achieve the same results by adding another layer of fabric, or other light modifier between your lights and the tent. The more diffusion, the softer the light.

Old 2009-12-16, 9:40am
Jacqueline Parkes

I just put the beads in a soup bowl as my dishes are plain white and I am not using a tent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
They look great. Exactly how do you put them under water, are you doing it in the tent.
Bob

Old 2009-12-16, 9:58am
Creatrixie

That's a neat idea.... Glad you've found a technique that works for you! (the only problem I could see is if you have any etched pieces. It would make that effect "disappear"... (I think your florals are gorgeous! particularly that purple/black set which I was admiring elsewhere on LE -- the gallery?)

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-12-16, 10:00am
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you, yes I realized the issue with etched beads as i already tried it but if you look at the blue/green focal bead in this thread , it is etched. Can you see that it is or does it disappear in that picture?

Thanks for the comments on the purple set. It was a nice surprise in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryFool View Post
That's a neat idea.... Glad you've found a technique that works for you! (the only problem I could see is if you have any etched pieces. It would make that effect "disappear"... (I think your florals are gorgeous! particularly that purple/black set which I was admiring elsewhere on LE -- the gallery?)

Old 2009-12-16, 10:57am
Peerless Thread Killer

Your beads look so fabulous! Thanks for this tip, as I suck at taking photos. How did you keep the water from reflecting the lights?
All of your beads look phenomenal!

Old 2009-12-16, 11:52am
Miles from nowhere...

Wow, that is awesome, thank you so much for sharing. I have tried everything!!! I can't tell you how many photos I have taken and how much time I have spent trying to get photos that really pop. I am going to try this right now...I'll post my results. Thanks again!!!!

Kate

Old 2009-12-16, 12:05pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I was in the same boat and to be quite honest, it brought me to tears on a occasion. Please show me how it works for you when you have time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmsaddlebum View Post
Wow, that is awesome, thank you so much for sharing. I have tried everything!!! I can't tell you how many photos I have taken and how much time I have spent trying to get photos that really pop. I am going to try this right now...I'll post my results. Thanks again!!!!

Kate

Old 2009-12-16, 12:08pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Well, I just have a light on each side of the bowl and I am using a tripod and point and click. That is it, truly.........when you first put the the water in the bowl, let it settle for a few minutes before putting the beads in. I discovered that this morning when I went to take the last picture, or you will have too many tiny bubbles. I just started doing this a few days ago so I am still learning too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neagle View Post
Your beads look so fabulous! Thanks for this tip, as I suck at taking photos. How did you keep the water from reflecting the lights?
All of your beads look phenomenal!

Old 2009-12-16, 1:14pm

gemsinbloom,I.m in he process of learning my camera and photoshop ect.Thank you for sharing this tec.

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-12-17, 1:44am
Unmedicated since '62

thats brilliant - i'll try it, thanks

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-12-17, 6:01am
Puddy Cat Lover

I love the photos, and the beads are fabulous! I've known about this technique, but haven't tried it yet. Val Cox (frit queen), in her blog, mentioned how she takes her pictures this way. Amazing what a little H2o can do. Thank you for sharing.

J.

Old 2009-12-17, 6:05am
Did someone say SALE?

That is a stroke of genius! Your beads take my breath away! I will give this a try, as I am photo challenged.
Old 2009-12-17, 1:40pm
Jacqueline Parkes

She does? woah!

I had never heard of it myself so I thought I had come up with something new, haha. No such luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Savina View Post
I love the photos, and the beads are fabulous! I've known about this technique, but haven't tried it yet. Val Cox (frit queen), in her blog, mentioned how she takes her pictures this way. Amazing what a little H2o can do. Thank you for sharing.

J.

Old 2009-12-18, 6:24am
Puddy Cat Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
She does? woah!

I had never heard of it myself so I thought I had come up with something new, haha. No such luck!
Great minds think alike.

Old 2009-12-18, 7:39pm

They came out pretty good, but you might try increasing your contrast some in your editor. Not a lot, but a little bit will help the colors pop back out.

Mike
Old 2009-12-19, 1:48pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Yeah..The underwater thing has been around for a long time.... Try a search to see when it first appeared....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-12-19, 4:59pm

I've heard of this technique too but have never tried it. Love your beads. Especially the floral ones.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-01-13, 10:52pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

I like this technique, and YOUR pics look great. I have a question though... what about encased florals? When I put mine in water, I can see the encasing... Any clue about how to get that out?

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-01-13, 11:14pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Well I have to admit, I am not taking pictures of beads immersed in water now. I found a better solution.

Yes it did not work for encased beads. I still will use the technique for beads that are extremely fussy with lighting though. I got some new blue flood lights that has helped a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimeral View Post
I like this technique, and YOUR pics look great. I have a question though... what about encased florals? When I put mine in water, I can see the encasing... Any clue about how to get that out?

Old 2010-01-14, 10:29am
MacGalver

Blue flood lights? Can you clarify what you mean exactly, like a brand name or bulb name? Thanks!

Jo

Old 2010-01-14, 10:32am
Jacqueline Parkes

Someone gave me this link today.

http://www.daylight-bulbs.com/9-500-...ue-light-bulb/

Old 2010-01-14, 12:14pm

Gemsinbloom your pics are really good and thanks so much for sharing.The photo bulbs look interesting.

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2010-01-26, 8:39pm
into the fire

Great pix - good thing ya don't have to put your silver into water now Those blue bulbs look like the trick - So what wattage do you use for bead pix then?

Last edited by absinthestudio; 2010-01-26 at 8:54pm. Reason: add
Old 2010-02-17, 9:04pm

I love the outcome of your product photos. I have yet to try the underwater effect, I just hope to get the same result as well.

|
Old 2010-02-26, 10:27pm
as in the state

I am very new to Photoshop, but have been dabbling in photography for quite a while. I just broke out my photo tent today to try to get pics of some beads for an ad and a banner.

I got frustrated and have decided I need to stalk this part of LE to learn everything I can about photographing beads.

Thanks for the idea of water and the blue lights. I will keep that in mind when I get that far. Your beads look great in the pics you posted!

-Amy