Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-02-01, 9:49am
StudioMarcy

I just posted the photos I have of the prizes on the blog. Pop over and take a quick look and feel free to comment about how nice all of these generous folks are. thank you to all of you additional donors. You have big hearts and I appreciate your generosity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-02-01, 9:56am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
I just posted the photos I have of the prizes on the blog. Pop over and take a quick look and feel free to comment about how nice all of these generous folks are. thank you to all of you additional donors. You have big hearts and I appreciate your generosity.
Which one is the link Marcy? Is there a direct link to what you are posting?
Old 2011-02-01, 9:59am
StudioMarcy

The Cricket Raffle blog is
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

that is where anyone who donates beads needs to post that they have done so, and how many. They will need to send me an email to
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with the photo of their donation, so I can post it on that blog as well, so everyone can see the pretty beads.

thanks,
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-02-01, 7:19pm
Beginner Lampwork Artist

I LOVE this idea! I learned about BOC a few weeks ago after I was talking with my course instructor about my idea for sending some beads to my friend who is currently undergoing a stem cell transplant for Hodgkin's Lymphoma in NYC.
I am new to lampwork and my husband has the glass bug as well! I'm working with a hothead and already want to upgrade to a Cricket as two torches would reduce the bartering between hubby and I for torch time! Thanks for your generosity, Marcy!
Old 2011-02-01, 8:09pm
StudioMarcy

Oh I am so glad. I hope both you and your hubby can make some beads for it and yes, having 2 torches would make life so much easier! Looking forward to hearing from you. do you mind sharing your name? So nice to meet you!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-02-08, 3:40pm
StudioMarcy

Y'all are doing so well, thank you. Would you mind helping spread the word and the link to the blog, so perhaps there will be more folks participating? I know we can work together to find lots of orphan beads who can get a loving home.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-02-08, 4:17pm

Hey, Marcy ~ I've been procrastinating sending in the beads because it seems that I find or make a few more every day to add to the collection. Besides, it's to frikking cold to venture out to the post office. Maybe later in the week.

Old 2011-02-09, 7:07am
StudioMarcy

Hi Leslie, well just let me know how many when you're ready. I hear it's -2 there this morning. Reminds me of my old days in Colorado and Wyoming. I miss the gorgeous snow and fresh air, but not the cold. And besides, you have all month. Hon, you just keep making them and letting them accrue. The kids will love them!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-02-12, 7:55am

Okay, finally got to the post office yesterday with my box of beads. Packed them all in a big plastic zippie and found that they would not fit into the small priority box. So medium box it was. Final count ~ 815 beads of all sorts and sizes.

Thanks, Marcy, for getting Chuck and I off our collective butkiss' and donating to such a worthy cause.

Old 2011-02-12, 7:58am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Awesome - think of all the little fingers delighting in picking these - making 815 smiles! Doesn't that make you smile!
Old 2011-02-12, 9:24am

It certainly does!

Old 2011-02-12, 10:33am
Sucks at being nice

Leslie you never cease to amaze me! What a wonderful package. Now that I am back to making beads I will start collecting a bunch to send at the end of the month. It won't be much but I know every little bit helps.

Old 2011-02-12, 5:06pm
Corgi Cult Member

Yay, tons of great beads going to BOC! Love to read about them on your blog Marcy!! Hopefully I'll get mine packaged and out next week.

Old 2011-02-12, 10:11pm
StudioMarcy

Leslie, I am overwhelmed with the number. You and Chuck rock. Thank you so very very much. I will post those to the blog and from my count, you get 32 raffle tickets from this huge payload. Oh the kids are going to be so happy and I know BOC will too! Thank you so much.
xo,
Marcy

ps The blog post with your photos will be on Sunday...I think 10:30-ish your time. You guys are great and thank you so much.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy

Last edited by Marcy; 2011-02-12 at 10:31pm. Reason: add to it
Old 2011-02-13, 5:14pm

I'm so glad that I'm able to donate and the amount doesn't really matter. One bead or 1,000 beads. It's not about raffle tickets, it's about an outstanding program and I have finally taken the time to donate. There are all kinds of beads in there from small spacer beads to one-of-a-kind leftovers to what I consider really fugly. I'm sure they will all be loved by someone.

I urge everyone to just take a few minutes and look thru your beads and find a few to send. I thank everyone involved with this awesome program.

Thank you Marcie for putting this together and finally getting me started donating. Hugs to you woman!

Old 2011-02-14, 7:55pm
StudioMarcy

Thank you so much Leslie. You're great! And I've just posted more donated beads to the blog...

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-02-14, 7:57pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I started working on BOC beads before I heard about the raffle. Now I have almost 25 kid friendly beads,some really cute ones! I will post when I finish and of course throw in a bunch of orphans too.

Old 2011-02-14, 8:08pm
StudioMarcy

Hi Sheila, that's fantastic, thank you! Please shoot me an email when you have the photo.
and post on the blog..
tell us the number you are sending then too.

thanks!!!!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-02-15, 6:16am

Whoot! Keep them coming in!

Old 2011-02-15, 11:28am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I finally got my box in the mail. It's a Large Flat Rate box of around 1000 beads
. My word, it feels so good to get those mailed!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-02-15, 11:37am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
I finally got my box in the mail. It's a Large Flat Rate box of around 1000 beads
. My word, it feels so good to get those mailed!

Way to go! We need to raffle torches more often for BOC!
Old 2011-02-15, 11:42am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Well, I didn't get a pic, so I'm not sure I will qualify for the raffle, but am so glad to finally have them mailed!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-02-19, 1:58pm
Shelarious

I finally got mine ready, but I'm not nearly as prolific as some of you! I have 55 if I counted right.

I've never shipped this many beads before. I was going to baggie them together and pack them tightly with bubble wrap and newspaper. Will they be okay?

Old 2011-02-19, 2:23pm

Squid! You rock!
Shelley ~ Fantastic beads. They will be loved.

Keep them coming in!

Old 2011-02-19, 3:00pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
I finally got mine ready, but I'm not nearly as prolific as some of you! I have 55 if I counted right.

I've never shipped this many beads before. I was going to baggie them together and pack them tightly with bubble wrap and newspaper. Will they be okay?

Very sweet looking beads! You can string them on pipe cleaners like you get at walmart to keep them apart. Make a circle and twist at the top... that's one option I used. Then I put each circle of beads in a sandwich baggie and then put them all in a shipping box.
Old 2011-02-19, 3:45pm
Shelarious

Thank you Leslie, and Kristina - what a great idea with the pipe cleaners. I'll be using that idea!!

Old 2011-02-19, 8:58pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Question Any annealing angels available?

Hi, I am a super newbie with a (heavy learning curve!) stash of beads that I would like to donate to BOC. My problem? No kiln to anneal them in! Is there some sweet annealing angel who would be able to help? Thanks a bajillion for any assistance!
Smiles, Sheri
PS--I am using a hothead knock off with Mapp gas and want to try my luck with the BOC torch raffle Marcy Lamberson is so generously doing, so I can step up and out of this cheesy setup!! Any recommendations for a reasonably priced torch and other necessities would be most appreciated too!
Old 2011-02-20, 7:50am
Shelarious

Hi Sheri,

I don't really know how to do that. It's probably a matter of kiln programming, but I have beads from before I had a kiln to still anneal! If you post in the Tips and Techniques or Family Room you might get more responses? Maybe that would be a great way to start a thread on people who are willing to batch anneal.

I think there are a few things in the garage sale, like used torches that might help. If you want an oxycon I think unlimitedoxygen.com is having a sale?
Good luck!

Old 2011-02-20, 8:40am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Hi, I am a super newbie with a (heavy learning curve!) stash of beads that I would like to donate to BOC. My problem? No kiln to anneal them in! Is there some sweet annealing angel who would be able to help? Thanks a bajillion for any assistance!
Smiles, Sheri
PS--I am using a hothead knock off with Mapp gas and want to try my luck with the BOC torch raffle Marcy Lamberson is so generously doing, so I can step up and out of this cheesy setup!! Any recommendations for a reasonably priced torch and other necessities would be most appreciated too!

Hi Sadie,

I just got the $150 OxyCon from Oxygen Unlimited in the Sales Rack section at
They are super to deal with. The first OxyCon arrived damaged by UPS so he shipped a second immediately. A used OxyCon is quickly worth the savings in Oxygen rental fees if you do the math. And a Cricket torch is designed to run on a small one like this 5 lpm.

You can also get a used Nortel Minor Torch (sometimes with it's hoses and regulator to save more) and use it with the 5 lpm OxyCon to get started cheaper. You can watch for used torches and set-ups on Ebay and here in the Garage Sale section
People list their used torches and set-ups in both places.

The Glass Hive allows you to put a kiln on layaway and make payments until it is paid for, and they frequently post sales in the Sales Rack. You can see them at

Hope this helps you start figuring and planning. Each torch is different, so it's worth reading through LE posts and Threads to find what appeals to you.
Old 2011-02-21, 7:11am
StudioMarcy

Thanks so much for posting this info. I've been traveling, but am now back home and able to post more often. I'm just so excited with all the beads that have been donated already. Beads of Courage should be well stocked.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy