Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2006-01-22, 6:13pm
The Beadstress

Default Digital Camera Help - Please!

I'm a newbie at everything... lampwork, to Lampwork Etc. (or any other website - is forum the right word?). You get the picture.
I was so enthused about Evan's tutorial on the $5 photo studio, and ran out and purchased the stuff to make it with.

My problem is not with the $5 studio - which is fabulous - but with my camera skills. I have a Sony Cybershot F-707. It's about 3 1/2 years old. I'm going to try to upload an image (my first time to do this) and I'm hoping I can get some good constructive criticism on how to manipulate my camera better. I used the close up (macro) option.
By the way... I use Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10 for my editing software. I didn't do any photo editing besides making the pic smaller.

Please help!

Wow that picture's huge. I guess I need to learn how to make 'em small too!

Last edited by Suestress; 2006-01-22 at 7:00pm.
Old 2006-01-23, 6:42am
ManBearPig

Using the macro mode is your first mistake. Never use it for studio photography. There isn't enough light coming in for the sensors to read it correctly. You are better off leaving the camera 9" or so away and zooming in.

Second, the only thing I would do is increase your exposure time to get a little brighter picture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-01-23, 7:43am
The Beadstress

Thanks for the help, Chad!
Old 2006-01-23, 7:47am
Glassbrat from Oregon

What setting do you use for the coolpix L1. I have a Photo studio in a box I use. Can anyone help out? Thank you Kim
Old 2006-01-23, 11:18am
Fancy Mammal

First, the macro mode has a "short depth of field", which means a short physical distance is in focus in the final picture. In this picture this is why part of the bead is in focus and part is blurry (even though I assume the bead is not *that* big .

I understand why Cosmo is saying about "stay away from the macro" and this is good advice, particularly if you want to do clean "product shot" type pictures and want the camera to make decisions for you (auto settings). Although, if you are willing to play with manual settings and tripods, you can do great things with macro and creative photography (like just have the face of the fish in focus... or something).
Old 2006-01-23, 1:17pm
In search of her path....

I use macro exclusively because I cannot get nice bright clear sharp pictures and closeups without it. It really just depends on your camera. Some are made to have fantasstic and wonderful macro features some not so much. I know I need more light to do my nice macro shots so I use more light and I get nice pictures that I am very happy with as well as my customers

As for critiques I suggest adding more light, making a stand of some sort to get your bead up off the paper so you can arrange the item as you need and adjust it to the best position. I alos would suggest a gradated paper background or a mid neutral grey tone background. Using Flat Black paper background works ok sometimes but the Velveteen Black and the Velveteen White tend to really throw off your color balances even WHEN adjust your white/shadow levels and they also throw off your focus too usually....Other than those lil things I think your coming along great!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-01-23, 6:18pm
The Beadstress

Great tips! I'm going to try them tonight. You guys are awesome!

Kim - I'm definately not the one here who should give advice - but I think these tips would work for any digital camera. (maybe??)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftymissKim
What setting do you use for the coolpix L1. I have a Photo studio in a box I use. Can anyone help out? Thank you Kim
Old 2006-01-24, 6:33am

I didn't know about the macro bit. I'll have to try it both ways. Maybe that is part of my problem.

There was a link posted at ISLAGA for this Sony DSC F717. If you go to home page there are other cameras listed as well. I'll post the link for a 707, hopefully it is yours.

http://www.shortcourses.com/guides/pdf/f707.pdf

I read it even though my Sony is a different model. Lisa the original poster suggested checking the appeture priority and the section on increasing depth of field on close ups.

That and the info posted on better pictures here http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11879 have helped my pictures more closely represent the way the beads actually look.

Good luck.

edit: Here's the choices of cameras listed at this site. About 8 Nikons, Canons, and Olympus each and 2 Sonys. http://www.shortcourses.com/guides/guides.htm

Last edited by Just Nancy; 2006-01-24 at 6:38am. Reason: add a link