No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-08-28, 6:15pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Default Dichro Help PLEASE!!!

So....I've been playing at my torch (Bravo w 2 Regalia 10 L) for about 12 yrs. I have not done a lot with dichro ..thus the question. I am thinking Christmas...for yrs I have blown ornaments for our kids and 2 grandkids (6 & 3)... This year, our son and daughter-in-law are expecting their 1st child.....and she asks for icicles that are sparkly.....one to be for Sugar Bear in arrival preparation....how can I refuse?? I can't ! I'm good with icicles, but not sure how to get the dichro included. Do I add it to the top f a large gather on big rod. Or do I make a medium gather add the dichro and then add more clear???? HELP!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-08-28, 6:27pm

Mica might work better, and it doesn't have a COE. Dichro should probably be added last, and it likes to futz up if you're not careful. Also think of using the new loose silver dichro (very expensive).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barbara
Old 2014-08-28, 7:19pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Good suggestions...will try this weekend

Old 2014-08-28, 11:26pm
Naysayer

gather, dichro, more clear.

If you're worried about coe, buy the right coe. The extract and the kind on the copper sheet (i've never used the sheet) do not have a coe.
Old 2014-08-29, 4:49am

There's also goldstone and bluestone aventurine for sparkles, if those would suit?

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-08-30, 6:38am

for sparkley icicles, i recommend simax flat rod (mountain glass has it, and i'm sure anyone who sells simax has it) and 1/8" dichro from dichroic alchemy.

punty up to a 6" length of flat rod, take a strip of dichro (that has been puntied up) and melt it onto the flat rod...dichro side down. use lots of oxy...cool flame.
then go over the dichro with another section of flat rod....heat up, marver to cylinder, twist and pull.
Old 2014-08-30, 7:08pm
addicted to dichro

It's going to spread out a lot, but as long as it's encased it should be fine as long as you are ok with the look of the sparkle flecks being somewhat sparse.

Old 2014-09-01, 2:13pm
Ad astra per aspera

I've made icicles by cutting about 2" of a dichro strip, cleaning it scrupulously, especially the edges, then preheating it in the kiln. Pick it up with a thick clear rod (your punty), then swipe more clear on it, first along the edges, then over the coated side then the glass side. Be sure to keep the coated side out of a direct flame until it's encased. Shape it gently so it's long and rectangular, apply heat to one face and fold it in half, avoiding bubble as much as possible. Wrap it with more clear. Reshape it back to a flat rectangle (like a fettucine noodle).

Heat up a smaller rod and attach it to the other end. Slowly heat the dichro until it starts to dip (taffy pull-like), then twist and pull. Heat the larger rod-end and make a loop or smoosh it over a mandrel to make your hole, then pull and burn off the other end. Ta-da, icicle! It takes a little practice, but I can get about 6-8" pulled.