LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-05-24, 10:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmerrill View Post
Maybe someone already said this but what if... you were to lay down your dots for the implosion, position the mesh over the the dots cover with clear and then try imploding? Let us know what happens!
Teresa from Hansville
Been there done that.....it doesn't work, well at least not for Lynne and I.
Old 2008-05-24, 11:30pm
To bead Yeah! ;)

I Agree with Nicker that the mesh technique is not the same as the implosion technique,
I Think we need to move away from that thought and think in a different direction.
The extrutions must somehow be pulled by gravity or squeezing through the holes of the mesh.
I'm just thinking, if you would wind the mesh right around the bead and then squash the bead maybe the glass would push through as the mesh has the mesh has nowhere to go, I don't know its just another thought and I have some other mesh I might give it a try!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2008-05-24, 11:37pm
See my quote!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Smith View Post
Well Nicker you are very fortunate. But unfortunately travelling from South Africa to take a class is out of most of our financial range but I suppose we can always dream.
Lynne S
My trip to the USA last year cost us a fortune!!! Sadly, even though I have the Visa the money is not there. But yep we can dream can't we.

Given half the chance us South Africans would be taking all the classes we could but it's just not an option for us right now. So please don't think we're asking for everything to be handed over to us. I know I would be quite happy paying for good tutorials.

Back to dreaming

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-05-24, 11:39pm
See my quote!!

Does anyone know if Brass Mesh can be used.

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-05-24, 11:47pm

i think you could use the Brass mesh, not sure if fumes would be involved like they mentioned on WC when using a flour sieve mesh. If you have ventilation give it a go. I wouldn't use the silver to practice this technique though because of the price. I have been going through my copper mesh at a very fast rate.
Old 2008-05-24, 11:53pm
See my quote!!

Carmen....let's hope we can find a supplier here.

I hear you on the ventilation. And you're right the cost of silver is not good.

Old 2008-05-25, 2:40am

Been following this thread and I am also curious how things work!
Sherry's beads are amazing!!!!
And lucky me.... I am going to take a class with Sherry
She is coming to the Netherlands in November....that's still a long long time.
Ordered some copper mesh so I going to play with it.

Sonja
Old 2008-05-25, 5:45am
Most have those beadies

Sonja, that's still a long long long time. I want to figure this out sooner than that. I'm trying again today. I get the glass through the mesh but it not as beautiful as Sherry can do that, it needs a lot of practice I suppose.

my
my

my
my

Old 2008-05-25, 5:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Louisa View Post
Sonja, that's still a long long long time. I want to figure this out sooner than that. I'm trying again today. I get the glass through the mesh but it not as beautiful as Sherry can do that, it needs a lot of practice I suppose.
Will you please share how you get the glass through the mesh?
Old 2008-05-25, 11:30pm
It's all about the color.

Dick Blick's Website has the copper mesh in a few different sizes/grids:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz334/08/ and they ship to other countries.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2008-05-27, 7:42am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid Riedel View Post
I Agree with Nicker that the mesh technique is not the same as the implosion technique,
I Think we need to move away from that thought and think in a different direction.
The extrutions must somehow be pulled by gravity or squeezing through the holes of the mesh.
I'm just thinking, if you would wind the mesh right around the bead and then squash the bead maybe the glass would push through as the mesh has the mesh has nowhere to go, I don't know its just another thought and I have some other mesh I might give it a try!

Astrid,

I think you have something there! Sounds like the best idea yet.
Old 2008-05-27, 9:37am

After I read this thread yesterday, I wanted to make such a bead, so I tried and tried and tried.
This is my fourth try, I think I got it

Old 2008-05-27, 10:08am
HourGlass Studio

Nice Sabine.......any tips would be appreciated.
Old 2008-05-27, 10:16am

Beautiful Sabine, please, please share. Thanks
Old 2008-05-27, 3:10pm

Thanks, it is a bit difficult for me, to write this in english.

I can only describe, how I made this bead:
Base bead in ivory, I put a piece of copper mesh on it and covered with clear (I used Lauscha soft), then I heated the copper mesh and pushed the outer edge of the copper mesh into the ivory. Then the ivory smashes through the mesh and afterwards you can form a bead, that you like....

It´s easy, have fun experimenting.

Old 2008-05-27, 4:13pm
HourGlass Studio

None of the Michaels stores around here have any mesh, never thought of a garden store. Great tip.

Last edited by Laurie L; 2008-06-19 at 11:12pm.
Old 2008-05-27, 4:27pm
just plain silly

Thanks for the tips Sabine! I am going to go try again right now.

Laurie, I read your guess on the other thread and it made sense but I hadn't had a minute to try it. I don't do pics (too computer challenged) but I'll post back here if it works!

Suzanne
Old 2008-05-27, 6:00pm

I gave this a try last night not bad I think.

My favorite one cracked..... I have to batch anneal

Michelle
Old 2008-05-27, 6:37pm
just plain silly

Well back to the drawing board!!! I poked so hard that I broke the bead release but did get a little to squish out. I think my holes on the mesh are too small

Suzanne
Old 2008-05-27, 6:39pm

Thanks for the tips Sabine. I will try again tomorrow.
Old 2008-05-27, 8:22pm

I have a couple of beads in the kiln using the same technique of mushing the copper on then adding clear then heating and pushing down the sides I could tell it totally worked. Will see in the morning....
Old 2008-05-28, 8:28am
Lynne Smith

Thanks I will also give it a try asap. I have my 22 month old granddaughter coming to stay for 4 days so no hot glass while she is here.
Lynne S
Old 2008-05-28, 10:04am
Most have those beadies

Sabine, it's beautiful. I was pushing the mesh at different places in the middle and it wasn't so beautiful but now I'm gonna try only at the sides and see the effects. Thank you for sharing.

my
my

my
my

Old 2008-05-28, 11:47am

Ok It totally worked that way. Here is a pict I used copper green as the base instead.
Attached Images

Old 2008-05-28, 12:37pm
just plain silly

Perfect Glasswhimz! I am going to try again today and try pushing only on the edge because I think that will help. I can see mine worked a little but I plunged the mesh all over and it sunk in too much right before it broke the bead release. Think I need a lighter touch

Suzanne
Old 2008-05-28, 2:20pm
See my quote!!

Tried playing tonight. Will post the results tomorrow. This is not going to be easy. LOL

Old 2008-05-28, 3:39pm

One small note. On the bead I have pictured I grew impaitent and didn't melt the holes where I pushed the ends back down so when I added more encasing I got bubbles that didn't happen on some of the others that I did. Just thought that might help someone on a cleaner look.

Jodie
Old 2008-05-28, 3:49pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Thanks for all of the tips! I'm waiting on my copper mesh order from Dick Blick - it should be here tomorrow. My Michaels' didn't have any. I looked at the grocery store today for those copper scrubbie things but they don't sell them. So I must wait

Old 2008-05-28, 10:14pm
See my quote!!

Hi there,

Here are my results. Going to try and play a bit more today.

I think the base bead should not be all ivory only the bit where the mesh must go - a stiffer glass around the ivory/white might help.

Chat soon........

Old 2008-05-28, 10:16pm
See my quote!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenglas View Post
After I read this thread yesterday, I wanted to make such a bead, so I tried and tried and tried.
This is my fourth try, I think I got it

I love it. Thanks for all the tips Sabine.