No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-10-29, 12:54pm
I like fire....

Default oxygen tank questions

I may be getting a new torch in the somewhat near future. I am not looking to get an oxycon at this time - rather use a tank for now.
so my first question:
when dealing with oxygen to run say a mega minor....
can I use a medical oxygen tank or do I need to look at a welding oxygen tank?

next, how much oxygen consumption can be estimated for a mega minor making beads?

right now I use a hot head and have not burned through that much gas the way I am torching today. SO I cant see needing a oxycon until I retire in a few years and start torching a lot more.

I was thinking about getting like a 3 foot tall tank (80-125 cf).
I would think that would provide hours and hours of fun burning things.....
not sure what else to ask yet....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-10-29, 2:24pm
Alaska Boro

The Minor is rated at 8 LPM depending on how flame settings are set. With one 5 LPM concentrator expect about 65%. You can do the math to determine how long a tank would last.

Medical Oxygen tanks, depending on size, would be a limiting factor. In addition there would be the need for a conversion to accept the standard welding type of oxygen regulator that is based on pressure.

Your best bet, if interested in tanked, is to contact one of your local welding supply firms and determine the cost for tank rent and contents. Depending on your usage a 125 CF tank may need frequent refills.
Old 2012-10-29, 3:43pm
honorary bead lady

Quick math 125 cuft @ 8lpm about 7 hrs
Old 2012-10-29, 3:47pm
Now part of the Dark Side

I have 2, 125 CuFt oxy tanks and I run a Bethlehem Bravo. Depending on how much I use the outer fire I can get between 8 and 20 per tank hours working boro. Before I got the Bravo, I was using a Nortel Red Rocket. Got about 12 hours burn time on just the inner fire alone. Seriously, if you are getting a new torch go for something a little more efficient than a minor or mega minor, I know that they are good torches but the technology is no longer state of the art. GTT and Bethlehem both make excellent and efficient torches.
Old 2012-10-29, 9:52pm

the cricket is a much more efficient torch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#C-151
Old 2012-10-30, 10:25am

Why such a small tank? You are paying much more per unit of oxygen in the smaller tanks. I use nothing smaller than a T (335 CF). You should never be handling the full weight of the tank so weight isnt really an issue either. If you can handle the 3 ft tank you can most likely handle the bigger ones.
Old 2012-10-31, 6:18pm
I like fire....

I don't really get to choose the torch. I only know it is coming and has already been ordered. large tanks use space i dont have much of in my garage. I have one of those little tiny portable welding torches set ups. It works well but never last last enough if I am cutting metal. so I know I want a larger tank. But physical limitations will be a big factor. If I cant move the bottle, it will be a problem.

All I can say - I am excited.....
Old 2012-11-01, 8:12am

Go to the oxygen supplier and shop. I think you will find that a 300+ cf tank takes only a few more inches of floor space than a smaller tank and it will more than triple your run time over the ones you were asking about but only costs slightly more to fill. Oxygen is definitely one of the dominant costs for me so it is critical to pick an efficient setup. Have someone there teach you how to roll a tank and handle one safely. If they wont do this for you then you should go elsewhere.
Old 2012-11-01, 8:58am
Salt Box Beads

If you have delivery they will put it where you want it.

Transporting is the hardest part but I am lucky and have a 16' cargo trailer. I use a tank dolly and just roll it in and out and there are secure straps in the trailer.

You can get the dollies at Harbor Freight or on Craigslist.

I bought my tank from Airgas.
Old 2012-11-01, 9:00am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmud View Post

I was thinking about getting like a 3 foot tall tank (80-125 cf).
I would think that would provide hours and hours of fun burning things.....
not sure what else to ask yet....
Actually it will provide for 1 full day 6-8 hours of torching...maybe.
Old 2012-11-01, 9:17am

I hope this helps some.

You will use much more Ox than fuel. I have used 2 1/2 tanks of Ox (250cf tanks) and my 20 lb propane tank is not empty yet using a Mega Minor.
For a comparison, $15 of propane and $75 in Ox. I now have a "T" tank I got for less than $100 from CL half full. It is no harder to move than the "K"s.

I also have ordered 2 M-20's (planning on a larger torch soon). I figure I will break even in 6-8 months then its all money in the bank.

Everyone has a choice and a budget to live within... Good luck.

Old 2012-11-01, 9:27am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
Seriously, if you are getting a new torch go for something a little more efficient than a minor or mega minor, I know that they are good torches but the technology is no longer state of the art. GTT and Bethlehem both make excellent and efficient torches.
I love my Mega Minor, not so much my GTT. When a torch flame is dialed in correctly every torch out there is efficient to melt glass. If you are referring to efficiency in oxygen usage the best way for that is not on the torch end but on the oxygen end. Build a system that produces and stores a lot of oxygen and you can supply any torch on the market "efficiently"

'state of the art' means:

the level of knowledge and development achieved in a technique, science, etc., esp at present
adj (prenominal) state-of-the-art
the most recent and therefore considered the best; up-to-the-minute

This terminology does not hold water with me. Actually I have always waited several years before buying any new "state of the arts" anything so they can get all of the bugs worked out first.

That terminology was stated by you in a way that rules out considering any of the older tried and true models like the Minor and the Mini CC Burners etc. and even the HH. Sorry but that is just wrong in my opinon.

I just don't want any newbies reading this thread to think that state of the art is the best/only way to go. It surely isn't in regards to torches.

I have 5 torches and they are all different and I use them all for different things.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-11-01 at 9:30am.
Old 2012-11-01, 1:49pm

Not sure I am following most of this. Some torches are definitely more oxygen efficient than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
I love my Mega Minor, not so much my GTT. When a torch flame is dialed in correctly every torch out there is efficient to melt glass. If you are referring to efficiency in oxygen usage the best way for that is not on the torch end but on the oxygen end. Build a system that produces and stores a lot of oxygen and you can supply any torch on the market "efficiently"

'state of the art' means:

the level of knowledge and development achieved in a technique, science, etc., esp at present
adj (prenominal) state-of-the-art
the most recent and therefore considered the best; up-to-the-minute

This terminology does not hold water with me. Actually I have always waited several years before buying any new "state of the arts" anything so they can get all of the bugs worked out first.

That terminology was stated by you in a way that rules out considering any of the older tried and true models like the Minor and the Mini CC Burners etc. and even the HH. Sorry but that is just wrong in my opinon.

I just don't want any newbies reading this thread to think that state of the art is the best/only way to go. It surely isn't in regards to torches.

I have 5 torches and they are all different and I use them all for different things.
Old 2012-11-01, 2:08pm
Salt Box Beads

I realize that some torches are but it was the implied statement about the Mega and the Minor not being up to par as GTT torches because they are not considered state of the art that bothered me.

Also I wanted to point out that oxygen can be greatly improved with a holding set up and no need for concern about which torch you have. There are several ways to address oxygen needs but saying that some of the best beginner torchers are not state of the art kinda made them out to be undesirable and that really is something that could confuse newbies.

No offense intended Just trying to keep the old tried and true torches high on the list.
Old 2012-11-01, 2:12pm

Quote:
There are several ways to address oxygen needs but saying that some of the best beginner torchers are not state of the art kinda made them out to be undesirable and that really is something that could confuse newbies.

No offense intended Just trying to keep the old tried and true torches high on the list.
Thank you, I almost chucked my Major/Mega....

Old 2012-11-01, 2:48pm

ok. still not following this. I will just refrain from discussing torches here in the future since we are not interested in the differences.

Quote:
I realize that some torches are but it was the implied statement about the Mega and the Minor not being up to par as GTT torches because they are not considered state of the art that bothered me.

Also I wanted to point out that oxygen can be greatly improved with a holding set up and no need for concern about which torch you have. There are several ways to address oxygen needs but saying that some of the best beginner torchers are not state of the art kinda made them out to be undesirable and that really is something that could confuse newbies.

Old 2012-11-04, 4:05pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
I love my Mega Minor, not so much my GTT.
This makes no sense, you might as well say you love your Nortel but not your Lynx, subsequently a torch that has a comparable flame size and can get more time out of the same amount of O2 would be a more efficient torch.
Old 2012-11-05, 4:36pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Quote:
I was not trying to disparage any torch, just relating my experience. The OP stated that they are going to use tanked oxy, a finite resource and one that can be greatly conserved when using a more efficient torch.
Old 2012-11-05, 6:05pm
Wonder-wench

to the OP: welding grade is fine for torching and hopefully costs less than medical grade. As you most likely will be renting the tank, try starting out with a smaller tank (easier to handle) and get a feel for your usage rate. You can always rent a larger tank next time if you feel you need it.

Please make sure you handle the tank safely. The hand carts with a chain across are a good way to move them around. Always have the valve cap on during transport. Chain the tank to a solid surface (wall) while in use to prevent accidental tipping over. Below is a cut & paste from OSHA, it's all pretty basic and easy to do. Stay safe and GO MELT SOME GLASS!

OSHA's construction standard for storing compressed gas cylinders (for welding) are addressed in §1926.350(a), which states in part:

§1926.350 Gas welding and cutting.
(a) Transporting, moving, and storing compressed gas cylinders.

(1) Valve protection caps shall be in place and secured.
(6) Unless cylinders are firmly secured on a special carrier intended for this purpose, regulators shall be removed and valve protection caps put in place before cylinders are moved.
(7) A suitable cylinder truck, chain, or other steadying device shall be used to keep cylinders from being knocked over while in use.
(9) Compressed gas cylinders shall be secured in an upright position at all times except, if necessary, for short periods of time while cylinders are actually being hoisted or carried.
(11) Inside of buildings, cylinders shall be stored in a well-protected, well-ventilated, dry location, at least 20 feet (6.1 m) from highly combustible materials such as oil or excelsior. Cylinders should be stored in definitely assigned places away from elevators, stairs, or gangways. Assigned storage places shall be located where cylinders will not be knocked over or damaged by passing or falling objects, or subject to tampering by unauthorized persons. Cylinders shall not be kept in unventilated enclosures such as lockers and cupboards.
(12) The in-plant handling, storage, and utilization of all compressed gases in cylinders, portable tanks, rail tankcars, or motor vehicle cargo tanks shall be in accordance with Compressed Gas Association Pamphlet P-1-1965.

Old 2012-11-06, 5:55am
I like fire....

Thank you all for the information. I do know a little about the safety and usage of welding equipment. I have been using welding equipment for over 40 years. I had safety drilled in my head long ago. The reason I asked this question is really simple. I was not sure how much oxy I would go thru and knowing these set up run a low pressure like 5-15 pounds....
I was recently at a Hospital with my father for testing and saw those smaller oxy tanks on the back of wheel chairs for people to use to breath and thought - wow those are nice and small. I bet one of those would work well for torching and take up so much less space and still I would be able to move easily since my back is pretty messed up from the last car accident.
So I talked with a welding expert I know and then formed these questions. This has never been about getting a more efficient torch, I have no choice in the torch, as it is a gift (but I believe it will be a Mega Minor). I used my fathers Minor recently and felt very good about the way it worked. I am confident that if I do get the Mega, it will do everything I need for a very long time.
Thanks again every one.

Last edited by nwmud; 2012-11-06 at 5:57am.
Old 2012-11-06, 7:46am

If you use a tank that small you may find yourself needing to change bottles in the middle of a project. If you go with a larger bottle and change it one a week as needed and you will be further ahead. Can you get some help moving the bottles in and out once a week?

I found a used oxycon on Craigslist for $200 that works well on the minor.

Last edited by Raimond; 2012-11-06 at 8:26am.
Old 2012-12-26, 8:45pm

I am just reading this helpful post. @ nwmud What have you been experiencing with your Mega Minor. I am setting up mine this week and am trying to fugiure out how much oxygen I will use and what size oxygen tanks to get. I have already purchased two 40gallon propane tanks to keep on a refill rotation.

I may just purchase an M-15 Oxy Con for my oxygen source.....

thoughts??

~
~
~
~
Old 2012-12-26, 9:02pm

Ritch, I live in Woodinville and have 3 3feet tall tanks that I will be putting on Craigs list this week. Could sell you one for $125 or all 3 for 300. The guys at Central Welding say I should list them for $125 each. Two are empty and one is full. Will sell the empty ones first....

Let me know!
Desta
Old 2016-04-17, 8:53am

Default oxygen tank size

thanks for the information!