No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2014-04-26, 4:34pm

Question Oxygen Concentrators

Greetings unto the world of glass and fire,

Does anyone know what needs to be done to a medical oxygen concentrator to make it suitable for lamp working?

I'm trying to run a Nortel Mega Minor.

I wasn't haven't much luck with the search function to find an answer, my apologies if this has been asked before.
Old 2014-04-26, 5:04pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Thorne View Post
Does anyone know what needs to be done to a medical oxygen concentrator to make it suitable for lamp working?
Nothing except hook it up
Old 2014-04-26, 5:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Nothing except hook it up
REALLY?! It doesn't need a special attachment or anything?...this could make my life a lot easier.
Old 2014-04-26, 5:10pm
Co-owner

What size is the concentrator? What is your elevation? Email Robert@saltcityglass.com and I will let you know I what you need to do and if you can do it with your Oxycon. No sales pitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PHONE: (385) 237-3365
OXYGEN 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0575
LAMPWORKING 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0576
Old 2014-04-26, 5:53pm
Alaska Boro

Some remove the bacteria internal filter, take covers off and clean out dust and replace the consumer serviceable filters.

Others just plug in and run.

A 5 LPM 5 PSI machine will run your torch at about 65%. Two of these machines will be needed to reach opium torch performance as the torch is rated at 8 LPM. Generally with a concentrator the LPM should be run a little lower than maximum output so that the oxygen percent is not decreased. The manual/service manual will show various LPM outputs vs oxygen percent.

Check the number of hours on the machine. The lower that number the better. Some medical brands run well over 25 K while other struggle to make it that far. A machine at 10 to 12 K is a good aim point again depending on brand.
Old 2016-03-05, 3:24pm

But HOW do I connect the concentrator to the Carlisle Mini CC using the tubes I purchased?? The Propane Tank? No Problem. This concentrator? The fitting is some sort of Medical fitting (duh!), but is there an adaptor or something?
Old 2016-03-05, 9:14pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdleigh View Post
But HOW do I connect the concentrator to the Carlisle Mini CC using the tubes I purchased?? The Propane Tank? No Problem. This concentrator? The fitting is some sort of Medical fitting (duh!), but is there an adaptor or something?
Pic?

Old 2016-03-06, 4:37pm

Depending on the machine, some have a Christmas tree (looks like the nipple connection in the 1st link) you just slide the oxy hose onto it. If it's a male B fitting, like mine, you'll need these. http://www.mountainglass.com/Barbed-...l#.Vty9zZwrKM8
and this- http://www.mountainglass.com/Hex-Nut...l#.Vty95ZwrKM8

Old 2016-07-20, 9:24pm

I am definetly no expert .....BUT........I don't think you can just take a medical oxygen concentrator and hook it up to a torch and get great results. The pressures most likely wont be high enough. because the medical oxycon takes the static pressure which is lower than the pressure it will produce when hooked up to a torch. If you have the smallest torch there is maybe it will be good. The major minor torch just guessing probably needs 16 lpm of oxygen though......so keep that in mind

Tags
oxy con, oxygen concentrator, oxygen concentrators