No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-26, 6:49pm

Default Didymium glass

Hi all,

DH has volunteered to make me a customized shield. Anybody know where we might be able to purchase some didy glass?????

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-26, 6:55pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I made my own shield and got the diddy glass at Wale Apparatus, it comes in a 6x6 size. They no longer have them on the website but you may be able to call and get a piece. I don't know what they cost because my piece was a gift. Here is a photo of my shield

Old 2008-12-26, 7:15pm

Hi Tracy!

Thanks for the info. What did you use to make your frame?

Old 2008-12-26, 7:18pm

Default New

Hey, I just signed up tonight and was reading all the posts and saw a picture of what appears to be an amazing arm rest. What is it called and where can I get one? I'm just starting to set up a studio in my home and I thought that looked like a very good investment in ergonomics. Thanks in advance, Thai
Old 2008-12-26, 7:24pm

Hi there and welcome to LE. It's an awesome place to buy stuff, to ask for advice, etc.... You may want to start a new thread on the subject of arm rests. I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses. Unfortunately, I can't help you cause I still rest my elbows on my table....duh....LOL! Good luck though. : - )))

Old 2008-12-26, 7:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLama View Post
Hey, I just signed up tonight and was reading all the posts and saw a picture of what appears to be an amazing arm rest. What is it called and where can I get one? I'm just starting to set up a studio in my home and I thought that looked like a very good investment in ergonomics. Thanks in advance, Thai

A creation station...you can find it here ->

http://www.austinbluemoon.com/catalo...Fcategory%3D28
Sherena

Old 2008-12-26, 9:24pm

I love my creation station it folds up and I take it when demoing at the glass society.

The frame of my shield is made out of copper stained glass framing, solder (stained glass store), ground wire, 2 hose clamps and a table clamp (lowes). I knocked the solder loose on one of it's travels so the frame is now just taped to the ground wire that holds it up with the foil duct tape. I know it seems like a lot of work but it wasn't and its so much bigger than the ones you can purchase. I wanted it as much for protection from flying glass as eye protection.

Old 2008-12-26, 9:52pm
She better not sell these

What I want to know is where did you get that clean desk? I used to have one but I lost it under the glass...

That is a very nice workspace!

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2008-12-27, 10:23am
Gentleman of Leisure

Glass plate for a "shield" can be found here...

http://www.phillips-safety.com/Glass...sors/Index.htm

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-12-27, 10:25am

Thanks, I find that when to much glass gets in the work space I tend to pick up the wrong color thinking it's something else. This is how one of my sheep ended up with a pale green A$$ instead of a gray one.

I don't have a photo of the butt but here are the sheep. From then on I started clean at every session.

Old 2008-12-27, 10:32am
Gentleman of Leisure

You can always say your "pale green" sheep is feeling a little "ill"....

Dale

Old 2008-12-27, 11:11am
She better not sell these

Cute sheep!

You could buy a miniature park bench at the hobby store, paint it green and make a small "Wet Paint" sign.

I clean my desk the next morning... sometimes. I applaud your tidiness!

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2008-12-27, 11:22am

Thanks for the links!! I've been trying to find a place that would put didy lenses in my frames (Rx or not). My optometrist said he couldn't get the glass so he couldn't do it - - may I can purchase a piece of the glass and take it to him - - hope hope

Appreciate the 'new' leads. Happy New Year!
Old 2008-12-27, 2:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verre Manie View Post
Thanks for the links!! I've been trying to find a place that would put didy lenses in my frames (Rx or not). My optometrist said he couldn't get the glass so he couldn't do it - - may I can purchase a piece of the glass and take it to him - - hope hope

I had Aura Lens change out a cute pair of reading glasses with Didy lenses, you may want to ask Mike, I think it cost me about$40 for the lenses and the work to do it.
Sherena

Old 2008-12-27, 11:33pm

I work in optical and lenses are not something a person can just get their hands on I tried and could get them but not reasonably. Aura lenses would be your best bet they are inexpensive and well made. If you want inexpensive frames cheater frames are not bad or your local optical may have some frames that have been discontinued they would be willing to sell cheap.

Old 2008-12-28, 8:27am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verre Manie View Post

I seriously doubt that anybody is going sell a piece of optical glass (lens blank) for lenses outright.... IF you local optometrist (or lens grinder) can not get it, you probably will not be able to as a member of the "public"...

The sheet of didymium or ACE 202 used for shields is not going to be thick enough to grind a curved prescription lens out of.....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-12-28 at 8:32am.
Old 2008-12-28, 10:48am
I'm meeeeelting

Costco is also a good source for cheap eyeglass frames.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves: