No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-24, 3:50pm
Christine

Default Thinking of upgrading from Nortel Minor Torch

I currently have a Nortel Minor torch with NG and an oxygen concentrator. I am thinking of upgrading my torch but still want to us NG. Would like any suggestions --- I would like a torch that would allow me greater stringer control - pinpoint flame....etc. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-06-25, 7:39am

I'm wondering if a Betta would be an upgrade for you or not?

I bought a Betta when my Lynx was being cleaned/repaired and when I got the Lynx back I had to try it out of course. After I got readjusted to my Lynx again, I put the Betta back away but have used it probably two more times because it does bigger borosilicate than my Lynx.

Also, the Betta has a wonderful pin point flame and it is so easy to use it by just turning one knob down.

Just lately I found out how to get a pin point flame with my Lynx.

The Betta was pretty much intended for NG though and I think you would love it. I am having a hard time deciding whether to keep the Betta or sell it to get some presses I need.

Anyways, just thought I would give you my suggestions .
Old 2009-06-25, 7:54am
burnin' glass just becuz

the Mega Minor is a good step up. it has a wider but softer flame and works great on a 5lm concentrator. If you go up to an 8 or 10lpm or tanked oxy it has an even bigger hotter flame but still burns very cleanly...

i've been able to get a pinpoint flame as well (although it hasn't improved my stringer work much..lol)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-06-25, 9:26am
ManBearPig

http://glasstorchtech.com/cricket.html

Old 2009-06-25, 11:30am
Life is change. Love it

I upgraded from a mega minor to a cricket. The mega was underpowered with my 5lpm oxycon. The cricket is fantastic!

Old 2009-06-25, 11:38am
ManBearPig

Honestly, with the price of the Cricket, I can't really see why anyone would consider anything else if they are looking for a torch that size.

Old 2009-06-25, 11:44am
Shelarious

I'm in the same boat with an M10 Concentrator from UO. I got to try out a Lynx this past weekend, and really liked it. I'm not sure how this compares to a Cricket, though.
From research I've done, what I understand is that the M10 would underpower the Lynx.

What would people suggest to run the Lynx? Another M10 (or comparable) hooked up? What say thee?

Old 2009-06-26, 7:40am
Butterfly Rancher

I'm on household pressure NG (1/4 PSI). I started with a MiniCC went to a Betta and then a Cricket. When I upped my oxycon from a 5LPM to a 10LPM, the MiniCC finally got a pinpoint flame. The Betta did much better. But the Cricket is the star! Not only could I get a pinpoint flame -- I got a strong, very useable, hot pinpoint flame! I could finally do boro implosions without melting boro everywhere! And the Cricket is about a 1/3 the cost of a Betta.

ETA: It's my understanding that if I want to go bigger than the Minor/MiniCC/Cricket/Betta class of torches that I'd need to either go to propane or get a NG Booster. I've dreamed of owning a Lynx. I understand from Kimberly of Pyronamix that my 10 LPM Regalia oxycon with propane would power it almost fully. So my limitation now is my fuel at such a low pressure.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado

Last edited by Beckah; 2009-06-26 at 7:45am.
Old 2009-06-26, 8:11am
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Honestly, with the price of the Cricket, I can't really see why anyone would consider anything else if they are looking for a torch that size.
the wait time on orders, exchange rate, duty and shipping. i'd originally planned to buy a Cricket but went with the Mega Minor instead as the cost is about the same as the Cricket in Canada and the Mega was available immediately.

Old 2009-06-26, 8:26am
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I upgraded from a mega minor to a cricket. The mega was underpowered with my 5lpm oxycon. The cricket is fantastic!

you find the mega underpowered? can you explain what you mean - i have no idea how to tell? this is my first oxy-fuel torch so i only have the HH (plus a regular Minor i tried once - i found the flame too intense and narrow for sculpting) to compare.

So far, I love the Mega and i'm able to make beads as big as i did on the HH (generally1.5-3") just 3-4x faster and much easier since the glass is so soft. The only reason i'm considering getting a higher oxy concentrator is that i want to work even bigger (4-6"+)

...sometimes i wish i lived near a lampwork studio where i could try out a bunch of different torches to see what everyone is talking about...

Old 2009-06-26, 10:13am

I started with a mini cc with one oxycon (devilbis 5 lpm). I added an additional concentrator (OG15) and it absolutely rocked.

I recently moved up to a cheetah with a NG booster, still with the two oxycons. I need more oxy to run this up to full strength, but it's pretty awesome. Bullseye melts super fast, and working boro is a reality.
Old 2009-06-26, 8:50pm
Life is change. Love it

Evelyn, I was given a Mega Minor by Nortel to try out and found that with my 5lpm it was really no hotter than my Minor, and took forever to melt boro. The Cricket is highly efficient with my oxycon and melts boro fairly well.

If you are happy with your Mega, that's great! Nortel makes very good torches and their service is outstanding.

Old 2009-06-27, 8:09am
Ad astra per aspera

I'll throw one more torch in for consideration, but you'd need more oxy to do it. I have the Nortel Midrange Plus, with a premix on top. The sweet thing about this setup is that you can run the Midrange full out, and use a pinpoint tip on the premix, and run that at the same time. I do this for multiple dot beads and fine stringer work. It's a HOT pinpoint so there's a learning curve. The beauty of it is, you have an all-around flame underneath to keep the whole bead warm while you're doing the details with a focused flame.

I'm using NG and an Onyx+. According to Kimberly that's similar to the Integra that she sells, so you'd either need to add another, matched, concentrator, or upgrade to something like the Integra. The Midrange runs fine & dandy on house pressure NG, though. Working boro is a bit slower than it was when I had tanked oxy, but I don't work that fast.

Old 2009-06-28, 12:37am
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Evelyn, I was given a Mega Minor by Nortel to try out and found that with my 5lpm it was really no hotter than my Minor, and took forever to melt boro. The Cricket is highly efficient with my oxycon and melts boro fairly well.

If you are happy with your Mega, that's great! Nortel makes very good torches and their service is outstanding.
hmmm... i haven't tried boro yet. i'll keep that in mind for when i do. i might yet get that sparkly purple cricket...