No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-12-11, 1:32pm
Mr. Bubble -- OBS Member

Default Siver Overlay Paste

I was woundering if anyone knows how to use it on our lampwork beads. I have a good kiln and was thinking of buying some but it sure would be nice to have a little info on the process first. I'm guessing it's a little like the process of useing the enamel paints. Make a base bead cool it paint it then put it back in the flame.
Old 2007-12-11, 1:54pm
Life is change. Love it

I haven't done it yet, but have taken a class. Here's what I know. Make your bead, cool and keep it on the mandrel. Paint on your design in silver overlay paste, then back into the kiln, on kiln paper and heat up 600 degrees per hour to 1111, hold for (I think) 30 minutes, then a slow cool. Rocio has a book on this, and she would be the best to answer questions. Someone else (?Naos) just posted some beads using this technique.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-12-11, 1:55pm
Life is change. Love it

Yep, here it is http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=74815

Old 2007-12-11, 1:59pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I've done some of these mainly using it as "glue" to hold other types of PMC onto the bead.

Carolyn has it right! I have found for me that firing at 1200 for 30 minutes is better in most cases. Make a test bead first and fire it to see if that particular color or shape will slump. Some colors and types of glass can withstand that temperature better. I'm usually firing a test bead with no overlay paste on it along with a bead that does have it so I'm not having to use up extra kiln cycles.

Good luck!

Old 2007-12-11, 2:37pm
Mr. Bubble -- OBS Member

Naos's beads look pretty kool and that book sounds like a great idea. Thanks.
Old 2007-12-11, 2:55pm
Serenity Now!

I agree with everything! I first take some of the Overlay Paste out of the jar, and put it in the cap...I mix in a couple of drops of distilled water to achieve a thin cream consistency. Then it just kind of flows on when you dip your brush into this mixture. I just put back any unused Paste back into the jar...a little goes a LONG way - You only need a very thin layer...if it is too thick, it will chip when you go to burnish it. If you get some in an undesirable spot, when it is dry, you can take away the excess with a toothpick! Then clean your glass with an alcohol swab to remove any fine dust or particles prior to firing. I also fire it at 1200 for 30 minutes...also Overlay Paste is amazing for repairs and such...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-12-11, 4:54pm
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite

I LOVE the stuff!
I put my painted piece in a cold kiln and ramp it up and then I don't take it out untill it's cold....be careful not to let the kiln get to hot or it will fume your glass here are a couple of pieces I've done....The more detailed pieces are on my other computer OOPs

and
Good luck with it, it's FUN!
Kare

Old 2007-12-11, 5:41pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I love the one with the lightning bolt, Kare!

They are all nice

Old 2007-12-12, 12:03pm

Default Silver Clay on Glass

Here is where you can find all the info, hints and new techniques.

You can fnd it on our web site or any glass supplier, Art Clay Silver USA, Arrow Springs, ABR, Generations Glass, etc....
Thanks,
Ron