Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-10, 6:13pm
Loving learning

Default Colors you thought you'd like but didn't?

I'm wandering through the glassy goodness available in the various lines, and thought I'd ask about colors that made you drool, you ordered them, and once you melted them & made something.... disappointment struck. I read something someone said the other day about the colors that just sit & collect dust now, and wondered why.

Which colors did you buy but now they just sit... and why don't you like them? Did they turn into poo? Just not your cup of tea?
Old 2011-07-10, 6:24pm
Entropy increasing....

When I started I had no idea what it was I would enjoy doing, what kind of beads I would make. I don't use a lot of the pastels. I never use cobalt or yellow. I don't make sets of beads that are all about color.
Old 2011-07-10, 6:29pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Light turquoise - I never use it. Just not a color I'm fond of anyway, I don't know why I bought it back awhile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-10, 6:52pm

The opalines. I love them before I use them, but they are too finicky at this stage of my bead making. Maybe when I am better.
Old 2011-07-10, 6:54pm
Loving learning

I did try something that I think was an alabaster (not labeled) and burnt it up, LOL.
Old 2011-07-10, 6:59pm

Old 2011-07-10, 7:14pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

I really thought when I started lampworking, that I'd make brightly colored beads. I've got some yellows and oranges that I never use. I bought them thinking I'd probably make cool bumpy beads, and expected to use bright colors in most of my beadmaking. LOL It turned out that I like making organic beads. So yeah, while some of those colors are pretty in rod form, they will never end up in my beads. (unless I'm being forced to make hideous beads for my mom.....)

Old 2011-07-10, 7:19pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Canyon de Chelly. I just never get around to using it.

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2011-07-10, 7:24pm
Loving learning

I figure the bright colors I'll use for BOC beads, to brighten up the kids strings, but maybe for myself too, since I don't have enough experience yet to know what I'll like using, but I can see where if you head in a different direction certain colors might just not fit.
Old 2011-07-10, 7:26pm
Loving learning

Joy I had to look that one up, and on first look I made a face, but then I looked closer & read that it was a silver & struck to a variety of colors, and now I may need some, LOL!
Old 2011-07-10, 7:27pm
Formerly Sassygirl

Loverboy is a lovely color in rod form but sucks when melted!

Old 2011-07-10, 7:49pm
Loving learning

I think I almost ordered that one when I bought glass, but had run over my limit so didn't. Maybe I'm glad now
Old 2011-07-10, 8:01pm

Sepia unique. Just looks like grey bleh!

My Ebay

Last edited by glasslass2; 2011-07-11 at 3:18pm.
Old 2011-07-10, 8:04pm
Lampworkaholic!

I love Lover Boy! You have to work it like Tongue Pink to strike it and get the pretty pinks and blues! Or just send it to me ... And I'll take that Canyon de Chelly too, yum ... Opalines too ... And Light Turquoise ...

Not so much

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-07-10, 8:24pm
Loving learning

"Like Tongue Pink"... I think I have some from the hand pulled shorts, what do you do special with it if you would be so kind as to share?
Old 2011-07-10, 8:24pm
offically down under

I"m not a huge fan of the alabastards either.

Old 2011-07-10, 8:30pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post

I thought these were so pretty in rod form when I first started lampwork.I don't think I've touched them since...but I'll take that Canyon de Chelly,I love it! American Beauty..you can have it.

Old 2011-07-10, 8:59pm

Calico
Old 2011-07-10, 9:03pm
Loving learning

But that one looks like it would be so pretty!
Old 2011-07-10, 9:44pm

Calico. Anything that devitrifies should have a warning in bright red 48 point font.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2011-07-10, 9:44pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

Hey, I bought some calico, but haven't used it yet. I was excited try it. Dang...am I going to be disappointed?

Old 2011-07-10, 9:45pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

Well phooey! Now I'm not so excited anymore.

Old 2011-07-10, 11:33pm
I like to melt things

The only colours I have tried so far (out of quite a selection, since I am a hopeless addict) that I have acquired really bad feelings for are Dark Violet, Anise White and Sepia Unique #2.

I really thought I would like Dark Violet because it's a really pretty deep colour, and although I'm not really a purple person, I like the way purples react with other colours. But blech. It develops this really unattractive brown livery disease when I use it.

I wanted to love Anise White because it is so reactive, but it's just so hard to use that I'd really rather sit and make 5" long beads with 1 mm stringer than ever touch it again. It's so shocky that it is almost unusable.

And Sepia #2 was a huge disappointment to me because Sepia #1, the first Sepia unique had gorgeous reactions with silver and I was hoping that the other unique would as well. It doesn't... it's just boring. And boily.

I have love for everything else so far, even colours that I am not normally attracted to. I used to hate Yellows and Cobalts, but I have somehow found some love for yellow. Cobalt I'm still leery of, but maybe it will grow on me too.

-
-

Last edited by MelanieG; 2011-07-11 at 7:14am.
Old 2011-07-11, 5:23am
Peerless Thread Killer

Moss Agate. It looked interesting, but when I tried it, it wouldn't do anything. Just a greyish black.

Honey Crunch, not because it isn't attractive, but it's frit on a stick. And I even love Anice white, which so many people have problems with, but I can use it no problem, but Honey Crunch frustrates the crap out of me.

Old 2011-07-11, 5:57am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
So I shouldn't throw that shitload I have into your Chrissy pressie?

Dalai lama - I give up, I'm RAOGKing it to someone

Kalypso - I'll persist but it's getting on my nerves

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-07-11, 6:37am
Confused as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
So I shouldn't throw that shitload I have into your Chrissy pressie?

Dalai lama - I give up, I'm RAOGKing it to someone

Kalypso - I'll persist but it's getting on my nerves

You can RAOGK it to me
Old 2011-07-11, 6:58am
Melts Under Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
Calico. Anything that devitrifies should have a warning in bright red 48 point font.
I totally agree!!
It looks so pretty on the web - but it's not.

Old 2011-07-11, 7:07am
Live and Let Live

CIM Ghee (explodes and does nothing for me when melted), Poi (muck), Effetre Cherry Shake (washes out), Chocolotta Verde (muck)

Old 2011-07-11, 7:41am

HEY! Is there a rod exchange in here somewhere? I'd be happy to pass along some I can't seem to manage to use!
Old 2011-07-11, 7:56am
StudioMarcy

Oh, I see a rod exchange too. I'm seeing some names I use a lot.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy