Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-10-06, 9:36am

Default Inline fan booster good?

Is an inline fan booster (500cfm) good as a "fan" for ventilation out of a fume cabinet?

http://www.amazon.com/8-Inch-110VAC-.../dp/B0007N73EQ

I know there are a bunch of Values involved to know whether or not it will be sufficient. What I am really after is, will this "booster" pull 500CFM or is it to weak to be a standard ventilation fan for a fume cabinet?
Old 2011-10-06, 10:38am

As a rule these booster fans don't pull enough air to be useful, especially if you have any bends in your exhaust duct. The 500CFM is a rating for 'free air' with nothing to increase the static pressure. IMHO you'd be better served to look into a squirrel cage blower or regular in-line blower (non-booster type).

Robert
Old 2011-10-06, 10:48am

What about this then? http://www.amazon.com/MaxxAir-IF12P-.../dp/B004GHNKSW
Old 2011-10-06, 11:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
IMHO you'd be better served to look into a squirrel cage blower or regular in-line blower (non-booster type).

Robert
Just curious, Robert. Whats the difference?
Old 2011-10-06, 12:37pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneIrish View Post
Is an inline fan booster (500cfm) good as a "fan" for ventilation out of a fume cabinet?

http://www.amazon.com/8-Inch-110VAC-.../dp/B0007N73EQ

I know there are a bunch of Values involved to know whether or not it will be sufficient. What I am really after is, will this "booster" pull 500CFM or is it to weak to be a standard ventilation fan for a fume cabinet?
A "inline booster fan" is typically rated as a "booster" so be careful, it may be rated a lot less as a free air fan. Booster values mean nothing in your application, its the free air value that is important...

http://www.suncourt.com/Inductors.html

This site says the DB208 is only rated at 210cfm in free air....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-10-06, 12:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
A "inline booster fan" is typically rated as a "booster" so be careful, it may be rated a lot less as a free air fan. Booster values mean nothing in your application, its the free air value that is important...

http://www.suncourt.com/Inductors.html

This site says the DB208 is only rated at 210cfm in free air....

Dale
Ahh. Good to know. Thanks.
Old 2011-10-07, 5:54am

The exhaust fan on amazon isn't intended to be ducted and won't pull much air. Try shopping blowers at Grainger (grainger.com). I use a squirrel cage blower in a vacuum plenum on my hood but there are lots of other options.

Robert
Old 2011-10-07, 8:13am
Gentleman of Leisure

Inline turbine fan generally used for hydroponics applications, generally good for studio ventilation.

Booster fan generally very low power - Not practical.

Squirrel cage blower that can be used in most any application -Probably best choice. But needs to be in a box (plenum) because it draws from both ends.

Squirrel cage blower that can be used in most any application. Draws from one end (able to attach duct work to it).

Window "BOX" fan can be used in open window as long as you have work table in front of window and fan is pulling air past you. Can be up to 2000CFM on high speeds(read fan specs if purchasing). Might be best inexpensive solution if you do not want permanent installation.

Remember all fan/ventilation installations need "make up air" or effort is almost useless and will endanger your health.

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-10-07 at 8:16am.
Old 2011-10-07, 9:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
The exhaust fan on amazon isn't intended to be ducted and won't pull much air. Try shopping blowers at Grainger (grainger.com). I use a squirrel cage blower in a vacuum plenum on my hood but there are lots of other options.

Robert
What is a vacuum Plenum?
Old 2011-10-07, 10:49am
Gentleman of Leisure

A box or chamber or duct that has a low pressure area (slight vacuum) caused by a fan or blower evacuating the air from the "space"...

Dale

Old 2011-10-08, 7:57am

Mine is a box built around the blower with an intake on the bottom attached to the hood and the exhaust duct connected to the blower output at the top. My blower is open on both sides (like Dale's 1st of a squirrel cage blower) so the box is wider than the blower. The blower produces a low pressure area inside the box which draws from the hood. Very good ventilation but more of an effort to install.

Robert
Old 2011-10-08, 10:22am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Any double side intake fan will need a 'vacumn plenum' to work except if the fan is mounted inside the plenum/hood and draws directly from the hood. My first hood was built that way and the newer one is built as RS describes. Both work well.
Old 2011-10-16, 7:32am

What should the fan/ or blower specs be? CFM? RPM?
Old 2011-10-16, 10:35am
Curmudgeon Engineering

The important specs for your use are CFM at what static pressure (duct dependent), operating voltage and current, and size. Also look at the mounting configuration; how difficult it is to bolt up somewhere.

The CFM needed will depend on the size of your hood or fume confinement opening area. Area in cuft. X 100 equals desired CFM. You can use 100 if the hood is enclosed on three sides.
Old 2011-10-19, 4:18pm

I'm also trying to get my ventilation in order. Dale, I hope I don't appear too ignorant, but I can't get my head around the make up air. How the heck am I going to heat my studio in the winter if I'm pulling in cold air for make up and sending it all out the exhaust?

I'm sure there is a perfectly sensible answer but it is evading me

Old 2011-10-19, 4:45pm
Gentleman of Leisure

As for keeping studio warm in winter and cool in summer, you bring the make air in by duct and into bench in front of you....

Look at second graphic in this thread....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=22&t=150

Dale

Old 2011-10-19, 7:34pm
Just getting started!

Is a fan like this any good? It says 650cfm, however it's a range hood and I'm not sure if that is the actual number, or if you have to take in other considerations like the ducting (if you opt to use some, I would - it does have a filter system, but I wouldn't rely on that).
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/170713039485?...84.m1423.l2649

I'm trying to decide if I should buy something like this or build my own. I do want to keep costs down if possible, while at the same time providing more than adequate ventilation.

Thanks
Iesha
Old 2011-10-20, 6:15am

If I were to use this unit the filters would be the first thing to go. They are made to catch grease and oil particles from cooking and will slow down your exhaust air flow. I'm not sure that the fan would be adequate, but baffles down the side would help direct your air flow so that it comes in from behind you rather from the sides. Mount it lower on the wall, closer to your bench top, than it is in the photos. This would help move the torch plume in the right direction (away from you).

To Deb: I bring in make up air from under my bench like Dale shows in his drawings. I use an in-line booster fan (from the original Glasscraft hood) and bring the air in from the bottom of a double-hung window up through the middle of my work table in front of my torch. It does very well in keeping the ventilation working properly while not removing all of the conditioned air from the studio.

Robert
Old 2011-10-20, 8:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by IksBeadedCreations View Post
Is a fan like this any good? It says 650cfm, however it's a range hood and I'm not sure if that is the actual number, or if you have to take in other considerations like the ducting (if you opt to use some, I would - it does have a filter system, but I wouldn't rely on that).

I'm trying to decide if I should buy something like this or build my own. I do want to keep costs down if possible, while at the same time providing more than adequate ventilation.

Thanks
Iesha
I dont think this unit has ANY provision for mounting ducting. It is a wall mounted unit with two side exhausts and filters. Might be more trouble than it is worth since you will have to modify to remove the exhaust air from your space.
Old 2011-10-20, 10:01am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I always vote for building your own. You can get a FREE furnace fan from most HVAC places since they have to pay to have them hauled away when they redo a furnace. The fan is often the last part to fail in a furnace; the electronics and heat exchangers are first to go. Free fan, custom hood and ducting to your design often works out to be more effective and less costly than a kludge of commercial parts being adapted to a special use. My 3 x 5 foot hood was fabricated by a local sheetmetal shop for less than $125.00. Fan is a 3 speed squirrel cage with over 3000cfm on high; about 1200 on low.
Sorry the 2nd pic is on its side. That is a plywood vacumn plenum that sits over the hood in the 'attic' above and blows out thru the side gable wall.
Attached Images

Last edited by cheng076; 2011-10-20 at 10:09am.
Old 2011-10-20, 10:46am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by IksBeadedCreations View Post

Thanks
Iesha
There are versions of this style hood that do have DUCT TYPE installations for through the wall or through the roof installations.... Also similar units with more than the 650cfm capacity of this unit...

Google shopping or "the find" can be your friend.

Dale

Old 2011-10-20, 10:55am

I assumed that the exhaust went out through the chimney on the top, probably with a 90 degree bend. A bend like that would increase the static pressure.

R
Old 2011-10-20, 3:26pm
Gentleman of Leisure

hmmmm.... Does say "ductless" or VENT installation.... Maybe it has option (included?) to vent out through wall....

Dale

Old 2011-10-20, 11:10pm
Just getting started!

Thanks for the feedback Yeah I was wondering about that as well since it says both, and in the specs it says it includes ducting? I think I'm going to price out putting my own system together and see if it's a better way to go. I'd hate to bid on one of their auctions, spend all that money on shipping and then find out it's not going to work.