LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-04, 2:58pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Default Silvered glass for Dummies? Ekho!

I haven't used anywhere close to all the different silvered glasses, but Ekho by Double Helix is the closest I have found to "silvered glass for dummies". If all else fails, add a touch of reduction and *POOF* it turns all pretty.

Any other you all would like to add here?
Old 2010-01-04, 5:40pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Triton, it always works for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-04, 6:16pm

Triton and Aurae both seem to be dummy proof. I haven't played with ekho enough, but like what I've seen so far.

Old 2010-01-04, 6:19pm

I found Psyche & Triton to be quite "easy". Luna was not. & Pandora really let me down, but that's a different kettle of fish.
Old 2010-01-05, 7:43am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Mini - Pandora is really easy to work - probably the easiest of all because you don't have to do anything to it. Try this - when applying Pandora super-heat the gather while applying to your bead. Then keep Pandora really HOT. Do NOT try to flame-strike or reduce this glass. Work it hot for about 10 or so seconds in the flame and immediately pop into the kiln without cooling. The length of time you anneal for determines your final color. On my kiln, I garage at 960 and ramp to 980 for one hour before starting my ramp down and always get spectacular results with this glass. Pandora is a kiln-striker and is not meant to be struck in the flame. Try this - it should give you beautiful blues and sometimes red/pink.
Cheers! Joan
Attached Images

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!

Last edited by j2canoe; 2010-01-05 at 7:49am.
Old 2010-01-05, 8:10am

Hi Joan,
Thanks for your reply. Your beads are gorgeous.

I do know technically how to work it. I just found my results disappointing. This was the first silver glass I fell in love with & "had" to have... But all that fiddling with my kiln?? The kiln is like the a magic box! I know how to change my flame chemistry but changing the kiln???? :Eeks!:

One day, I'll just have to do it. I mean the rods just can't sit on my shelf for eternity right?
Old 2010-01-05, 8:38am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Thanks, Mini! I just didn't want you to miss out on this fabulous glass in case you didn't know. The website says to anneal Pandora at 1000 degrees, I think - but I didn't get very good results at that temp, but do with the cooler schedule - my kiln tends to range around a lot tho' - I hope you get to try it again soon!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-01-06, 12:51am
Southeast Alaskan Artist

For Hard glass at least:
Silver colors work like most other striking colors except you can get a much larger range of hues from them, now I am not sure if this applies in soft glass (which is what it sounds like you are talking about) but for the best results when I am working with something like DAP (double amber purple) or Green Exotic or something I make sure that I am applying it without any 'haze' on the surface, which you will see build up as it heats then vaporize away (if you are in a neutral or oxidizing flame that is). Secondly some colors strike best when you put a lot of heat into them, melt it in then get it almost to the white hot state, (tips coming from Brent grabbers DVD) in hard glass at least this give the best range of colors from the silver glass.

Kiln striking where you put your temp up above the normal annealing temperature for a time period before starting your regular annealing cycle helps some colors develope more brilliance and vividness. Again this is all coming from a Hard Glass perspective but i can't imagine that it would be all that different for soft glass, if it is i am sure ill be corrected .

Hope that helps
Old 2010-01-06, 7:23am
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Triton, it always works for me.

Yes! Triton is super duper easy to reduce . . . either reduce and encase or leave it reduced on the surface, it's beautiful

Old 2010-01-06, 9:17am
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

[quote=FosterFire;2818753] If all else fails, add a touch of reduction and *POOF* it turns all pretty.QUOTE]

A reducing flame is the lampworkers "fairy dust".... he he!

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2010-01-06, 10:32am
The Andrea Half

Taxco is idiot-proof, at least for this idiot. The original Terra was, as well, and so are Brad's Striking Color rods.

Old 2010-01-06, 10:54am
Likes to melt stuff...

I'm with Mini...Pandora and I just don't see eye to eye. But I've had great luck with all the other DH glasses....and I'm waiting impatiently for my delivery of Aether!
Old 2010-01-06, 7:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdreschaneman View Post
I'm with Mini...Pandora and I just don't see eye to eye. But I've had great luck with all the other DH glasses....and I'm waiting impatiently for my delivery of Aether!
Which other ones do you like? My brother is visiting in a few weeks & I need to order....
Old 2010-01-06, 8:02pm
Sucks at being nice

I had a few minutes to play with some of the DH glass I got. So far the Aurae is friggin amazing! It was turning gorgeous colors while I was working it in a fairly oxidizing flame. Pinks and purples, just yummy. Unfortunately it seems to suck in the space flower murrini but I will definately be making some beads out of it.

Old 2010-01-07, 11:30am
Lampworkaholic!

Please send all that icky Pandora to me. I will be happy to send you something in trade.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox