No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-07-02, 11:23pm
Farewell promises nothing

Default Kiln Upgrades... How difficult?

I might have a really old kiln coming my direction. Money is an issue for me so any kiln is a blessing, but I was wondering what I would have to do to get it upgraded to have a digital pyrometer installed or a bead door. Is it even worth messing with?

For those of you who have manual controls for their kilns, how much of a pain is it to deal with? I have never owned or used a kiln, so I don't know what I am getting into.
Old 2007-07-03, 1:01am

I briefly looked into this before I bought my current kiln, I was offered a faulty one from a local school. Given that I have no real knowledge of kiln repair I enquired and found out it would in my case anyway be as expensive to refurb the old kiln and fit a digital controller than it was to buy a kiln in the US and have it shipped to the UK! It may be worth contacting the manufacturers of your particular kiln and asking them. I'm fairly sure some people on this board have manual kilns and have to babysit so that could be done, its just a pain in the bum I understand, hopefully they will chime in with more advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-07-03, 10:25am
William Hagy

www.hotasstools.com has great deals on setpoints and ramp/soak controllers that are a snap to use!

~W~

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2007-10-10, 5:55am

Adding a digital controller can make the difrance of it being an ok kiln if you don't mind baby sitting it all the time to get the temps to hold just right. Or it being an awesome kiln that you just set and let it do its thing while you spend your time making glass and not checking the kiln every 5 mins
They are super easy to install a stand alone digital controller. and if you ever get a difrent kiln. Moving the controller to the new kiln is as easy as un pluging it from the old kiln and pluging the new on in to the controller.

Old 2007-10-10, 7:35am
Farewell promises nothing

Thanks, I got the kiln and found out that it was gas controlled. I traded it to someone who does pottery, as she could use it without modification.