Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-08-08, 2:09pm

Default Ashes in Boro?

Hey all, first post here.

I'm just getting to the point where I want to start making pieces to sell instead of just for hobby. I have seen online several places that encase loved ones (or a pets) ashes in Boro and I think it's an awesome idea. I think that would be something I would love to offer down the road.

Anyone know what the process is like for making those pieces. Any special considerations in doing that? Is it as simple as I think it would be? Kiln temps?
Old 2015-08-08, 9:58pm

The ash turns to a white bubbly scum from the calcium so its better encapsulated in clear then in color. A little goes a long way. Make sure you sift the ashes as it can be quite chunky and only use the fine dust.
Old 2015-08-09, 7:12am

So would you encapsulate the ashes into a small clear rod, then pull a stringer and use that to put the ashes onto a maria? Or would you put them directly onto the maria and then encapsulate them?
Old 2015-08-09, 12:16pm

My normal go to is to get the tip of a rod hot dip it in the ash and encapsulate color over the top and mix it in. I try and keep the ash in the center as it will created pockets and voids and if they come to the surface they make for a visual blem. For most people its the idea the ash is in the piece not actually being able to SEE the ash. Its always a question i ask them though.
Old 2015-08-09, 5:26pm

Thanks for the tip. (That's what she said?) I have a friend that is going to let me do a trial run with her dogs cremains. I guess we will see how it comes out
Old 2015-08-10, 1:33am
He can do the origami

As Baggedchevys said, there is some serious off gassing that happens. I generally do the same as BaggedChevys when I am making memorial mibs or pendants. The only thing that may be possibley different is that after I gather some ash at the end of a hot clear rod, I do a thin encasing of clear, then I heat it more and off gas it a bit. It seems like it never will stop but I have had a little more success in not getting the pockets of gas if I drive off more of the gas first. Then I do my color encasing and then work with that.

Also as BaggedChevys stated, most people, in my experience anyway, are just concerned with the thought that the ashes are inside and don't necessarily want to see the actual ash inside the glass but ask first. Most people order implosions, vortexes and swirl from me and want the color to show. Whether it is an imploded flower or butterfly, they want color. The ash itself without the color inside the glass is often unappealing to my customers.

Again a little goes a long way. I will generally make a gather, encase with clear and then encase with color and pull out a thick stringer to apply the implosion design on the maria. I try and use as much of the stringer as I can so I do not have any left over but sometimes I have a bit left over. During my initial consultation with the customer, I discuss this and discuss options. I often tell my customers that if I have any color left that contains cremains, I will throw in a free, small mib with the remainder of the color so I assure them I return every last bit of cremains. Just one more thing to consider.

Otter

Last edited by Otter's Flame; 2015-08-10 at 1:45am.