No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2019-08-01, 5:17pm
tweetysweetie

Default Blue Patina

Other than amonia what other chemical can you use on copper metal to produce the lovely blue hue? TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2019-08-01, 7:46pm

Vinegar and salt is supposed to work pretty well. I've had good results with ammonia, salt, and a sprinkle of baking soda.

Old 2019-08-02, 7:41am
tweetysweetie

Thanks for the advice Rebecca........vinegar and salt will produce the blue color on copper? Hummm, who knew.
I have a friend who lives out of country that likes to use the amonia method but it is illegal to mail any to her, so we were trying to figure out alternative choices of what to use to get that blue color.....
any other suggestions peeps?

Old 2019-08-02, 3:16pm
Phill

The blue is from copper "rusting" so acids will speed up the 'rusting' which is oxidizing the copper.

There are copper colored water pipes that have alloys added to keep them from rusting like that so look for stuff labeled 'soft'.
The small diameter rolls can make nice bead accents if you take the time to round over the sharp ends with a file.

Once you get the colors you want you will want to lacquer or varnish them to keep from changing due to skin oils from wearing and handling.
Old 2019-08-02, 3:52pm
tweetysweetie

thanks for your input/info speed!

Old 2019-08-02, 3:54pm

Just put a piece of cloth soaked with vinigar/solt in a small container. Put the copper or brass piece on top of cloth face up. Close the container to keep the vapours inside. You will see beautiful patina within few hours.
Old 2019-08-05, 1:18pm
tweetysweetie

Larysa, using this method will get the blue results?? fingers crosssed and thanks for sharing

Old 2019-08-14, 5:54pm

Sorry, did not see it earlier.
It's more green than blue for brass, emerald green patina.
I just did not try it on copper.