Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Old 2010-02-14, 5:46pm
www.createdfromfire.com

OK, I've been waiting since the end of October for my cricket torch.....is it worth waiting any longer or should I throw in the towel and go with a mega minor? How long has everyone else waited? After reading several other threads 99% of people love love love GTT torches, whenever I call to GTT they are sooo nice and I know they are working as hard as they can, but its still really frustrating..
Old 2010-02-14, 5:50pm
www.createdfromfire.com

ok i just read lunamoonshadow and that tells me all I need to know. Guess I'll just suck it up and wait.......
Old 2010-02-18, 9:46am

Bob--If you've got extra money (and want a bigger torch & have the oxy to run it ) see if they've got a scorpion, or a lynx--you'll *love* a GTT torch!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-02-18, 10:15am
www.createdfromfire.com

Luna,

yea I thought of that but now I'm hoping that with everyone getting their scorpions and GTT is starting to make crickets. I only have a 5 lpm oxycon and 1/2 psi on my home propane. If I upgrade to anything else I'm afraid I would be spending well over $500.00 more just because I'm impatient. I might give them a call today and ask about time frame. Thanks for info though.

Bob
Old 2010-02-18, 10:43am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

I just bought a cricket new from MountainGlassArts in Asheville, NC and they had it in stock and shipped it right away. I had emailed GTT and they didn't call me back until 5 days later - so they lost the sale. Try MountainGlassArts they had several in stock. I received the cricket from them before GTT even called me back!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-02-18, 11:15am
www.createdfromfire.com

FANTASTIC...I'll give them a call and post an update.

Bob
Old 2010-02-18, 11:35am
www.createdfromfire.com

Just got off the phone with mountain glass, they sold old 2 days ago. I called GTT and they said they had a bunch of crickets testing now and were going to ship next week (fingers crossed) I think it was Wally I talked to and he assured me I would get a call next week. Just FYI they make all the torches all the time, I thought they only made a certain run of torches, but he told me they are extremely busy which is good I guess. Thanks for all the good info, the guys (Steve) at mountain glass were very helpful and friendly, I'll buy from them now also. I'll post updates. Thanks again.

Bob
Old 2010-02-18, 11:37am
www.createdfromfire.com

Also mountain glass said they have been waiting over a year for lynx.

Bob
Old 2010-03-03, 3:18pm
www.createdfromfire.com

Just got the call from GTT, they are shipping my cricket tomorrow.....waaaaaa hoooo.
Old 2010-03-03, 4:22pm
Creatrixie

Yay for you, Bob!!!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-03-03, 10:51pm

I teach on Crickets at one place and mini cc's or hot heads at others. I personally love the mini cc the best. Its a little more than the cricket but has more flexibility, plenty of heat and the bushy flame will be more like the hot head you are used to. At my home studio i run on one 5 lpm oxycon and its just fine. The minor has never impressed me. Its small in every way.
Old 2010-03-08, 1:40pm
www.createdfromfire.com

My wife just called me and said my torch just arrived. Waaaahoooo, problem is I'm sitting at work and she keeps sending me pictures of it. Now that's evil.

Bob
Old 2010-03-08, 2:00pm
PyronamixK

Bob, your wife is mean.

Hey, if you want to see the Cricket in action, check out my Scorpion videos on YouTube. The centerfire of the Scorpion is the Cricket.
Old 2010-03-08, 2:33pm
www.createdfromfire.com

Yes, she is a meany. She'll be happy when the beads start rolling her way. I watched the videos that's why I am dying to get home, gotta melt some glass.

Bob
Old 2010-03-08, 6:54pm
www.createdfromfire.com

Cricket is awesome awesome awesome awesome. Did I say it was awesome.
Bob
Old 2010-03-08, 7:19pm
Naysayer

To OP, why do you have tanked oxy if you have a HH now?

I just upgraded from a HH, I love and hate the 'upgrade', it was expensive and I can't do a lot of what my HH did, so much changed (good and bad).
But one main thing is ventilation, you said you were working in your kitchen as a hobby? Hobby is ok but it's an expensive hobby, especially 'upgrading' and personally if I were in it for a hobby I would stick with the HH.

Main thing that stuck out was 'kitchen', I got really ill upgrading and needed to up my ventilation, I hope that's being considered
safety forum here =
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39
Old 2010-03-11, 2:42pm
www.createdfromfire.com

Wow, just fired it up with 1/2 lb. propane pressure and 5 Lpm oxycon all I can say is wow. It was worth the wait. Made my first 3 beads in record time, really have to think about it, not like on a HH where things move alot slower but it is AWESOME!!!! my hands move alot faster it's almost like trying to make a bead with honey but after a few beads I got the hang of it. THANKS AGAIN KIMBERLY YOU ROCK!!!!

.com

GTT Sidewinder, two M15 oxycon's (center fire), tanked (outer fire), Glasshive kiln.
Old 2010-03-12, 5:25am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Ravenesque - I had been on a HH for years after using a minor before we moved and just recently upgraded to a Cricket w/oxycon from Kimberly. I had forgotten how to use the larger torch and was struggling with fried flower petals/lost detail definition and shoddy reduction of silver glass. I had to literally fight the urge to go back to the HH. Jody Welch (jeepinwelch) came to my rescue by reminding me to do ALL of my detail work outside of the flame after locating the "sweet spot"/reminding me that the little dials are not set in stone and you can adjust your flame - I followed the instructions that came with the torch and apparently was trying to work with my flame "dialed-in". Kimberly's little oxycon is apparently a very good one as after backing it off and turning down the propane it seems to give me a very nice working flame set around "3" with the propane backed off to give a good neutral candle. She also said to work out in the flame a bit farther than the HH requires. This took some getting used to and actually comes out to around 6" out for me. Jody also actually measured where she does the final "soak" before the kiln and it came out at about 10" from the torch. To reduce, turn down oxy to around "2" and increase propane until the candles are about 1 1/2" long-then waft through the top of the flame.....Jody's advice worked perfectly!! I can now do everything that I did on the HH and more! In fact, I looked at my HH last night and wondered if I shouldn't dismantle it as I probably won't use it anymore. Try Jody's advice to me and see if it doesn't make a difference. Cheers! Joan

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-03-12, 6:05am
www.createdfromfire.com

Wow, thanks that's some great info.

.com

GTT Sidewinder, two M15 oxycon's (center fire), tanked (outer fire), Glasshive kiln.