Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2012-04-04, 1:51pm
Cave Dweller

Default O2 holding tank, Harborfreight, $38.00 total.

Just a heads up:

The 11 gallon tank is on sale for $34.99:

11 gallon holding tank

and the 1/4" connector kit is on sale for $2.99:

1/4" NPT connector kit

Aside from a valve stem remover (I used needle nose pliers),
This is everything you need to set up the Trey Cornette style
holding tank.

Note: clean out the valve, on both sides with q-tips, I do not have
an oilless compressor to blow air through it.

Tested for 30 minutes, no *boom*.

Big Thanks to Mr. Signguy of these forums for confirming that this
tank is suitable.

Addendum, you also need a little Teflon tape...
Forgot since I already had tons of it.
Old 2012-04-04, 6:50pm

Thanks for the tip, role.

I've been thinking about getting a second tank and putting it in line with my first one so that I have 22 gals of air capacity now that I have three oxycons...curious to see how much reserved can build up. So I may just take advantage of that sale!
Old 2012-04-04, 9:34pm

Hi guys,

I wanna take advantage of this topic and ask a few questions regarding my holding tank.

So I´m new to using a concentrator, I bought a M20 from Jack, and I own a Cheetah, when I came to use it I realized that it would not feed my torch at a 100% so I was told to build a holding tank to increase the volume of oxy going to my torch, which I did, but when I had everything set up I noticed that there´s not a significant difference in the volume either, is there something I´m doing wrong or is it just a matter of the oxycon vs the torch being too big? What I been thinking is I might need another oxycon to get the extra boost I´m looking for.

I have also thought of purchasing a homefill but don´t have the money right now.

Thanks
Old 2012-04-04, 10:14pm

I also bought an M20 for my Cheatah I found that a single one barely feeds it at all, if I hook up a second one then I get a decent flame but if I want full power I need to hook up my o2 tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#C-151
Old 2012-04-04, 10:53pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro1621 View Post
Hi guys,

I wanna take advantage of this topic and ask a few questions regarding my holding tank.

So I´m new to using a concentrator, I bought a M20 from Jack, and I own a Cheetah, when I came to use it I realized that it would not feed my torch at a 100% so I was told to build a holding tank to increase the volume of oxy going to my torch, which I did, but when I had everything set up I noticed that there´s not a significant difference in the volume either, is there something I´m doing wrong or is it just a matter of the oxycon vs the torch being too big? What I been thinking is I might need another oxycon to get the extra boost I´m looking for.

Thanks
If you run at full O2, valve all the way open, the holding tank will do nothing.

The holding tank only creates a reserve if you do not open your O2 valve all
the way.

If you want to run full open you need a second O2 concentrator.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:55am

Ok. I understand. So I will definitely need another oxycon ´cause I can barely get a decent flame with only one.

Thanks
Old 2012-06-07, 10:44am
too many rods in the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signguy View Post
Thanks for the tip, role.

I've been thinking about getting a second tank and putting it in line with my first one so that I have 22 gals of air capacity now that I have three oxycons...curious to see how much reserved can build up. So I may just take advantage of that sale!
Just saw this thread and this raises a question I've had as well! I have a Cheetah with 2 EX-15's and a holding tank, Trey Cornette style. I actually have FOUR concentrators, but the other two are smaller machines.

Would it be better to try to connect all four concentrators together plus the one holding tank, or would it be more effective to add a second holding tank to the two (larger) concentrators I am currently running??

I am clueless on this stuff, so go easy on me if this is a really stupid question!

Old 2012-06-07, 1:37pm
Alaska Boro

Use three 9 PSI at 5 LPM concentrators into a small manifold. As pointed out above, a holding tank will be ineffective if the volume out is equal to the volume in.

In your case, combining all 4 concentrators is a good idea. Provided that the output pressures of all are in the same range. i.e. all 9 psi or all 5 psi. Combining machines of different PSI outputs will not work well.

Output LPM should be set less than maximum to provided a higher level of oxygen purity. Many manuals will indicate LPM output vs purity.
Old 2012-06-07, 2:09pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGlass9 View Post
Just saw this thread and this raises a question I've had as well! I have a Cheetah with 2 EX-15's and a holding tank, Trey Cornette style. I actually have FOUR concentrators, but the other two are smaller machines.

Would it be better to try to connect all four concentrators together plus the one holding tank, or would it be more effective to add a second holding tank to the two (larger) concentrators I am currently running??

I am clueless on this stuff, so go easy on me if this is a really stupid question!
As Alaska said, you will have back pressure problems if you try to run
the 5 LPM machines against the 2 EX-15s.

I use 2 M-15s.

I have a holding tank for each concentrator and then they are Y'd into
the torch through my foot pedal.

The only thing I have to watch out for is when using the outer fire
for long periods the tank(s) volume depletes and the flame starts to
reduce then I have to quickly turn the flame down so it is neutral with
only the concentrators supporting it.

I'll be adding a third concentrator and another holding tank soon.

Good luck.

Old 2012-06-08, 9:25am
too many rods in the fire

Role and Alaska, thanks for this info! I am going to add a second holding tank to my second concentrator and run one holding tank for each. I didn't realize I could even do that until I read this thread!! I think that will make quite a bit of difference for me, especially since I mostly do soft.

You guys are awesome.

Old 2012-06-08, 9:45am

out of curiosity, if i have my holding tank hooked up and i've just stopped torching for what will be an hour or so, after i turn my oxycon off can i then close my o2 valve on the torch and keep what is in the tank, in the tank?
or will the back pressure be too much for the seals in the concentrator.
Old 2012-06-11, 9:04am

anyone?
Old 2012-06-14, 8:57am
Curmudgeon Engineering

istandalone24/7,

Yes you can do that but chances are that the pressure will bleed off overnight. It will not hurt the oxycon. Very few systems are truely 'tight'. I have an oxy tank system that is very tight but still bleeds off the pressure over a few weeks of non use...and the valves are tight.

PJH

ETA - there is really no need to seperate the holding tanks onto the different oxycons. If you have the oxycons interconnected now then just add in another holding tank for more capacity.

Last edited by cheng076; 2012-06-14 at 9:00am.
Old 2012-06-15, 3:08am

that's exactly what i was hoping to hear!!
Old 2012-06-25, 10:25am
Queen Tut ;)

I wanted to build a holding tank but hubby (not very handy) is worried it won't be safe and I'll blow up the house.

Not sure if there are safety concerns with a holding tank? Well, I mean other than regular common sense stuff.

I told him a bunch of folks on here have made one and not had issues. Smart aleck said it was because the ones that blew up couldn't post

Old 2012-06-25, 10:21pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Jenne,

1. The presure from an oxy con is at most 20 psi and usually much less. Yes there are some that go higher but not many beaders use them and if you get more than 20 psi you don't need one.

2. These type tanks are manufactured for a working pressure of 120 psi which means they are pressure tested to at least 250 psi. Higher in good quality tanks.

3. They come with a popoff safety valve that is set to something like 130 to 150 psi.

So no worries.
Old 2012-06-26, 7:42am
Queen Tut ;)

That's pretty much greek to me, but sounds reassuring enough to pass the info to him to alleviate his safety fears.

Gotta plan my trip to HF now!