Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2010-01-19, 5:32am

Patty: I do not have enough experience to tell you what it could really be. Maybe somebody else would post. I would venture to say, the regulator is not working correctly, but I could be wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2010-01-22, 12:52pm
Addicted to Melting Glass

Thought I'd do another update. I've swapped out the regulator now (after swapping out the propane tank with no improvement), and it's not the regulator. Sadly, it's my O2 concentrator and I'm going to have to have it serviced. ;-( It's not putting out hardly any O2.

Old 2010-01-23, 12:05am

Oh darn Patty/ That is the last thing, I thought may have been wrong, and yet the most expensive.I wanted to help, yet, I still say, there are more experienced people here than me. I started this thread not knowing.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2010-01-23, 6:52am

Nell, I'm glad you started the thread! While it's a bad problem to have, somehow I feel better knowing I'm not the only one with this issue. I hope your torching is going smoothly, with no technical difficulties!

Old 2010-01-23, 1:56pm

Your welcome Patty. Hopefully more experienced people, with more tech knowledge will join in, when others are having problems.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2010-01-26, 6:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Lakinsmith View Post
Thought I'd do another update. I've swapped out the regulator now (after swapping out the propane tank with no improvement), and it's not the regulator. Sadly, it's my O2 concentrator and I'm going to have to have it serviced. ;-( It's not putting out hardly any O2.

I have been following this thread because I too am experiencing this problem with the same set up. Patty, how do you actually know that it is not the regulator? And how do you know that the concentrator is not putting out 02?

I was almost ready to get a new regulator (I am guilty of regulator abuse too ) My concentrator is not even a year old and I have changed filters etc - even though I only torch a couple times a week. I was really thinking it was the regulator. Any insight is much appreciated.

Sue

Old 2010-01-26, 7:06pm

I'm not Patty, but for the sake of a rapid reply, Patty borrowed two of my regulators and experienced the same problem, so is assuming the only cause remaining is the oxygen concentrator. She switched to bottled oxygen and is no longer having problems.

Maybe she will have time to explain further.

Do you have anyone close by? Maybe you could borrow an oxygen bottle just to compare? How long can you run your torch before you start having problems?
Old 2010-01-26, 8:17pm

I do know that when I start my oxy con, without warming it up first, and as it starts producing more oxy, then I have to turn up my propane. If I let it run, for 10 to 20 minutes before lighting my torch, everything is good. If I do not do this, then after about 1/2 hour, I have to make adjustments. This probably does not help, but I think it is probably a normal thing for most using an oxygen concentrator.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2010-01-26, 8:28pm

Thanks for covering for me, Charles!

When I called the folks at Unlimited Oxygen (where my M10 came from) they asked if I had been changing the filter, and I said no. They had me take the filter off and try lighting the torch while running the oxycon, and I got too little O2 to keep it lit. That told them that the concentrator wasn't putting enough out. That, and the propane regulator swap-out that Charles helped me with pretty much isolated the cause.

It sounds like you're treating your equipment very well.

Old 2010-01-27, 11:16am

Thank you, everyone for your responses. I do not have a problem lighting the torch initially, but after an hour or two - poof! all of a sudden the flame blows out (usually in the middle of a bead!). It is at that point that I cannot get the torch to lite again. I have no warning that this is going to happen - no fluctuations in the flame first. I think I might try the changing regulator first - unfortunatley I don't know anyone who can let me borrow for a test run. And I guess a phone call to unlimited is in order.