Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-06-09, 4:06pm

Default Chettah Vs Lynx

Hey, I'm New To This Stuff And I'm Looking To Purchase My 1st Torch. I Would Like To Work W/ Boro And Want To Produce Small Things Like Pendants And Marbles, But I Would Also Like To Try Goblets And Vessels With Some Thicker Glass. I'm Not Sure What The Pros And Cons Are. Carlisle Says There Torch Is Suitable For Boro Work Where The Smaller Cheetah From Gtt ( A Vert Reputable Supplier) Im Not As Sure Of, Gtt Reccomends This Torch For Smaller Projects, Although I Believe I Learned On The Cheetah. So Maybey I'm Thinking I Should Invest In A Better Torch Earlier, Ot Should I Buy One Of These Options And Work My Way Up. Anyways Any Knowledge You Can Offer Me Would Be Greatly Appreciated For I Want To Make An Informed Investment. Thanks
Old 2008-06-09, 4:18pm
yukue fumei

if you know for sure that large work like boro marbles, vessels and goblets is what you want to do, skip the smaller torches and invest in either the GTT Phantom or Mirage. You can save O2 by using the innerfire for most things, and use the large outerfire for marbles and sculpture. Getting a footpedal makes these torches even nicer.
The Cheetah is a wonderful torch, BTW--I love mine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-06-09, 4:34pm

Yeah, That Is The Judgement Call, Its Just That The Larger Torches Cost A Good Deal More, Even If I Buy The Smaller Torch I Could Tech On It Down The Road And Could Set Up A Larger Torch Once I've Carved Out A Niche For Myself In This Field. I Had The Same Thought Though, Why Not Just Get A Larger Toch Now. Its Just W/ The Investment Of Exhaust, Kiln, Tools, Supplies, Ect... Htat Adds Up. My Kiln Was $700 Fnas About $200, Another 150-200 For Shop Lights And Table Construction. No Torch, O2 Setup, Tools And Supplies Purchased Yet. So The Difference Is Between Spending Around $3000 For A Nice Beginners Setup With A Smaller Torch Or Spending $3700 For A Larger Torch. I'm Sure I Have A Lot To Learn Still And Will Spend A Lot Of Time And Materials Making Mistakes. So I'm Still Not Sure, Someone Was Selling A Used Cc On Ebay For $500 But I Dont Know If The Seller Seems Credible (especially Because He Hasn't Returned My Messages) But Anyways That Would Have Been Nice. Until Then I'm Trying To Find A Good Deal On A Well Working Used Torch And Haven't Had Much Sucess, Or Buying A Smaller Torch. Either Way I'm Getting A Little Anxious To Start Playing Around In This New Glass Format (because I Already Work In Stained Glass) Its A Judgement Call I'm Still Making But I Will Be Using Tanked O2 So Knowing The Lynx Will Work Is A Good Thing. Thank Again And I'll Be Checking This Post In A While To Get The Full Gist Of My Situaltion.
Old 2008-06-09, 4:50pm
da General

Someone is selling a Barracuda in Garage Sale for $500 . . . worth checking it out:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94430

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-06-09, 4:52pm
just plain silly

We all know the expense of setting up a studio. I have a Lynx and a Cheetah and would suggest GTT torches hands down. I think you would be happy with a Cheetah as your first torch because it has a lot of versatility. You can do lots of practicing and projects with it and then decide if you want to get something bigger when the bucks start flowing in

Suzanne
Old 2008-06-09, 7:59pm
Smooches!

I agree with the reco's on the GTT torches. They are absolutely wonderful. I have a Cheetah and absolutely love it!

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-06-09, 8:00pm

lightgiver.

I'll give my newbie opinion and please realize that it's just that. I defer to the more knowledgeable folks here...

I was going back and forth about what torch to replace my hothead with between the lynx, redmax, little dragon and a few other torches. I ended up buying the redmax with the minor top fire. I use the minor for probably 98% if everything I do. I have the bottom bigger torch when I need it but I don't think I need to use it that often. Please remember that I'm brand new to boro, and glass is general, but I can make 1" marbles pretty easily with the minor. I've pulled points on 25mm x 4mm wall tube and 32mm x 4mm wall with the minor.

The cool thing about some of the torches I've seen is you can go from a small pinpoint flame to a big raging singe the hair on your arms flame, from one torch... Im very happy with my torch, I don't use but maybe 50% of what it can do right now but in the future I may wish I could run my bigger flame with a pedal or something like that.

I'd assume you've been piecing your studio together. like lots of us do. You know it's going to cost too. You could get a minor and work some boro and upgrade when it no longer meets your needs or you could pick a torch that is bigger and more advanced and grow into it. Upgrading the torch later is going to probably mean another fair sized outlay of $$$ Or, you can just absorb the more expensive torch now, while you're used to waiting on the studio, income and other things.

I didn't answer your question, just a few things to consider while you make up your mind because ultimately, it's your torch and your money.
Old 2008-06-10, 12:13pm

thanks for all the input everyone, I have to consider all the factors but I believe a smaller torch will be what I buy to get used to practicing and build up from that.
Old 2008-06-10, 2:31pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightgiver View Post
thanks for all the input everyone, I have to consider all the factors but I believe a smaller torch will be what I buy to get used to practicing and build up from that.
I would start with the Lynx and work my way up from there. I have the Bobcat and a high pressure oxy generator which is overkill for my torch. It's quite hot and I have no problems with doing boro. But since you are leaning toward boro, I think the Lynx is the best one to go with. You can always do soft glass with it too.

I'm wanting to move up to a hotter torch, but I'm undecided on the Lynx or the Cheetah....it's making me crazy! But they always say, you can never have too many torches! GTTs rock!! I've had my lil' Bobcat for more than three years and it's never had a single trouble. I keep it cleaned regularly (the ports) with the wire they send you with it.
Old 2008-06-10, 7:53pm
Smooches!

Just to clarify - I went from a hothead to the GTT Lynx. Awesome torch & I love it too, but I decided I wanted more heat so I stepped up to the GTT Cheetah. I love that one too!

Old 2008-06-10, 8:17pm
Ezzy

I have a Lynx and I love it... for soft glass. For boro I find that it is simply too small and it takes too long. However, I know people who do use the Lynx with boro and love. It all depends how you work and what your objectives are. Personally, I become too frustrated trying to make anything in boro over 3/4" and I couldn't even imagine attempting a goblet because I couldn't imagine how long it would take.

When I decided to buy a bigger torch for my boro work I went with the Knight Bullet Burner. I had the opportunity to try it out at Arrow Springs before purchase, it did everything I wanted it to do, was compatible with my ventilation system, and had a price range I was happy with. If you live near a dealer who sells torches I strongly suggest you contact them and ask if they have any you can test drive before buying.

I think if you plan to work solely in soft glass or plan to use soft glass and make "small" boro objects that you would love the Lynx. If boro is your main objective I think you should buy the largest torch you would need to use for any application.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2008-06-11, 1:31pm

I have a bobcat, lynx and now a cheetah. Kimberly is great to talk to about what torch meets your needs. If you are planning on running a concentrator, you definitely need to talk to her about matching torches to the LPM and oxygen purity.

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-06-11, 1:49pm
Smooches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginko View Post
I have a bobcat, lynx and now a cheetah. Kimberly is great to talk to about what torch meets your needs. If you are planning on running a concentrator, you definitely need to talk to her about matching torches to the LPM and oxygen purity.
And don't you just love that Cheetah too????

Old 2008-06-11, 1:55pm

Oh man, yes, but it is frustrating me. I had forgotten how frustrated I was going from the hothead to the bobcat, then from the bobcat to the lynx. I apparently have a rythm and movement that doesn't alter as fast as it should. In other words, I am making ugly beads! I just need to spend more time on the torch. I sent the Lynx off for cleaning, which makes me use the Cheetah. Really like the wide flame--really, really like that.

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-06-15, 1:58am

Sorry to butt into your thread lightbringer but im very interested in either the cheetah or the phantom myself. I have a mini cc at the moment and was wondering if Ginko found a big difference from the lynx to the cheetah.

back up and running. Been months so needs major work. (updated 12/06 )
Old 2008-06-15, 4:13am
Lover of all things color

I went from a HH to the GTT Lynx and love it. I only planned on doing small Boro beads and have tried just plain spacers beads so far and the Lynx handled them nicely. I'm only using a M10 oxy con so I'm sure that if i upped that I could do larger boro items.

The Lynx is so easy to use and has the center knob that allows you to create a pinpoint flame for fine work. Love it.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-06-15, 4:15am

Ginko, how long did you use the Lynx before you needed to send it off for cleaning? I have only had mine for six month and it seems to need cleaning too. I'm wondering if this is something we are doing wrong or there is a design problem with this torch. The instructions say to use or at least keep the center knob turned on a bit all the time to keep the jets clean, which I did but it is still gunked up. This may be something you need to consider lightgiver.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-06-15, 6:38am
Smooches!

Jan - could be some dirty propane too. Just use your little wires and brush that GTT sent with the torch & clean it. Do keep the center knob open a bit when torching - that is the key.

Old 2008-06-15, 6:57am

I've had my Cheetah for years, since they first introduced them and never had it cleaned. I don't even use the wires. You really just have to learn how to adjust them so they don't build up carbon. I love the Cheetah, but can't use the Lynx for what I do. It just all depends on what you want to do with your torch. And remember, there is always an after-market for torches, so if you buy the Lynx and find it's too small for what you want to do, you can always resell it.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-06-15, 7:16am

Hi pam was just looking at your site and saw that you use bullseye on your cheetah. what is the max size that you find easy to do on the cheetah and do you find any problems with going backwards and doing finer details? though id say by the awesome fish that you have no problems what so ever

Old 2008-06-15, 7:30am

I have both the Lynx and Cheetah (following Pam's good advise over the years). I love them both! If you are planning to do boro, I certainly suggest getting the larger/hotter of the two, but realize that the Cheetah requires quite a bit of oxygen--so be sure you are prepared for that aspect. Val

Old 2008-06-15, 7:35am

Hi Val

That would be the next question is what concentrators do you ladies use for the cheetah?

regards
Andrew

Old 2008-06-15, 8:30am
Don't be a zombie...

I've had a lynx for about 3 months and have had zero buildup. Which might not sound like a long time but it has been going 40-50 hours a week at least every week. I've run the wires in the ports once just for the hell of it and noticed no difference. So it all boils down to the way you run the torch.
Old 2008-06-15, 9:39am

I emailed GTT and they want me to return it for cleaning. I just have to decide what I want to be without the torch. I tried the wires and some of the ports were clogged. I mentioned the dirty propane and they didn't seem to thing that was the problem. Every once in awhile there is something red and glowing comeing out of of the ports. When one of the center flames get wonky I just use a flat tool to swipe it off.

Now, I don't mean to scare you away from the Lynx, I do love it and its perfect for what I do. Just wanted to mention it. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-06-15, 9:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Hi pam was just looking at your site and saw that you use bullseye on your cheetah. what is the max size that you find easy to do on the cheetah and do you find any problems with going backwards and doing finer details? though id say by the awesome fish that you have no problems what so ever
Hi Andrew, I don't have any problem getting finer details with the Cheetah, but it really is just a matter of getting used to any torch. I have done fish as long as 6 inches on the torch with BE, but generally stay around 4 inches. You can do the same on a Minor or Lynx, for that matter, it's just how much time you want to spend keeping the piece warm. I'm a bit impatient, so I opt for the bigger flame so I can easily keep heat in the piece.

With regard to the oxy source question, I use the OG20, but I got that quite a few years ago, so there may be better options now than there was then. I do like the fact that it is a machine made for commercial applications, not medical, so it should last for many, many years. It doesn't power the Cheetah to its full capabilities and once in a while I miss the extra boost I could get from tanked oxy, but I'm able to work with what it produces - again, I think, just a matter of getting used to your equipment. I've had the OG about 3 years and the Cheetah at least a year or two longer than that. I also have a water-cooled Beth PM2D and the Beth Starfire (predecessor to the Baracuda), but to me for my use the Cheetah is the perfect torch.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-06-15, 10:16am

Thanks Pam
Wonderful info and i think you are so right about getting used to the equipment. Im making boro stands at the moment for my Sterling silver inserted beads. Im using a mini cc its slow but its happening.

I was looking at maybe a phantom but want to set up a four station studio with minors for teaching. So i think you may of made up my mind on the cheetah and il have the money for the minors as well.

Thanks for the people that put info into this thread and sorry for hogging lightgiver.

Regards

Andrew.

Old 2008-06-15, 3:15pm

At least two and a half years. It was a convenient time with the bobcat still set up and the new Cheetah to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
Ginko, how long did you use the Lynx before you needed to send it off for cleaning? I have only had mine for six month and it seems to need cleaning too. I'm wondering if this is something we are doing wrong or there is a design problem with this torch. The instructions say to use or at least keep the center knob turned on a bit all the time to keep the jets clean, which I did but it is still gunked up. This may be something you need to consider lightgiver.

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-06-15, 3:25pm

It might be a good time for me to get a minor. I need something as a backup.....LOL I just don't want to be without it. I guess I could fall back to the HH but I don't really want to do that. I know it needs to be done, guess I just need to do it.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-06-16, 6:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Hi Val

That would be the next question is what concentrators do you ladies use for the cheetah?

regards
Andrew
I am using an Integra 10. I can still get an oxy flame with it, but it doesn't power the cheetah to full ability. In other words, it is enough for what I want right now.

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-06-17, 1:19pm
Smooches!

I use a Regalia that I bought from Kimberly at www.pyronamix.com.
I absolutely love my combination of torch & concentrator, and I am not seeing any difference between the Regalia & tanked oxy for my use.

I am on the schedule to test my Regalia with Kimberly's oxygen analyze when she gets back from GAS, and I am sure that she will post results then.

Let me know if I can provide any further info.