LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-06, 11:25pm

Unhappy Major Kiln Problem! HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!

Hi
I have the "84BD Aim Kiln" with the "Fuji PXR3 digital controller". I usually just turn my kiln on and when it reaches the set value temp, I staert crafting beads and put them directly into the kiln. When the last bead is done I set the kiln to the annealing sequence and I'm done.
Well I turned my kiln on and waited for it to reach the set temp. It didn't do this. in fact it was still room tempeture! I tried for a couple days to get it to heat up but no joy. I thought I had messed up the annealing sequence? So I tried to reprogram it many times still it would not heat up. I checked the elements, but they seem okay.
I bought this kiln from Aim 3 years ago and because of major health reasons I have used the kiln maybe 20 times. Any ideas anyone.
Thanks for any help in advanced.
penny5658
Old 2010-03-06, 11:36pm

Does it have a fuse? My Skutt has a fuse to change!
Old 2010-03-06, 11:53pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Might be the relay too - do you hear a clicking noise?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-03-07, 12:49am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Sounds like you need to replace the relay like Skid is suggesting. I've had to do this a couple of times with my Jen Ken.

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-07, 2:43am
one day at a time

Wow! I have been using my Paragon for 7 years full time and never had to replace anything...yet!

(knock on wood)

Crap, I just jinked myself I'll bet!
Old 2010-03-07, 8:28am

the relay... they are relatively cheap...

Old 2010-03-07, 9:02am
honorary bead lady

When you buy the replacement, buy a couple!
Old 2010-03-07, 9:25am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

yes - and get them from an electrical supply company - take the old one out and get the number from it. they are readily available and way cheaper that way.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-03-07, 3:28pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Thanks Squid. I never even thought of getting the relay from an electrical supply company.

Ebay:
Old 2010-03-07, 3:40pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

you're welcome - I bought 4 when I got mine and it was less than $20 for all of them

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-03-07, 9:46pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I think I'll start looking around for some. My Jen Ken blows the relay every few years. It would be nice to have some on hand.

Ebay:
Old 2010-03-07, 11:59pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

I agree with buying several relays, it's like an insurance policy and I was able to send several out to people who weren't able to find them for their Fuseboxll kilns.

At first I ordered them online from an electrical company but found out I could just print out the picture and take it to a Graninger locally. You just walk in, hand them the printed picture and you don't even have to explain what you need it for! LOL
Old 2010-03-08, 4:44am
BeadsonCypress

When I was having issues with my AIM the "new guy" who took them over is great at helping diagnose and solve any issue you might have. There are a couple of threads that have his link...

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-03-08, 10:04am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

If the relay clicks when you turn the kiln on, its not the relay, make sure your set point is set at like 925 if its at room temp it the kiln wont heat up.
If the relay clicks on and the set point is set to 925 then either a wire is loose or burnt or the element is bad.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2010-03-09, 10:28pm

Cool Kiln Help

Hey Everybody
Thanks for the suggestions. You guys are so much help to people, you are all awesome!
When I turn the kiln on it does not make that clicking noise. It used to make that noise once it reached the set value. I think you are right about it being the relay. I didn't think about it but I went and got the paperwork that came with the kiln and there's is an 800 number. So I will call Aim tommorow. But I beleive you guys are right. What I don't understand is I really haven't used it that much! I feel it should last alot longer than it did. Like I said I only used the kiln maybe 20 times.
Thanks again
penny5658
Old 2010-10-09, 4:15pm

Angry Kiln Problems

Hi
This is an update on my kiln.
I purchased a new relay and installed it and the kiln still does not work!
I phoned AIM kilns and spoke with Susan and she sent me a relay but the kiln still won't work!!!!!!!!
Does anyone have any other ideas.
I've spent just around 100 dollars and I'm ready to pull my hair out! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Penny
Old 2010-10-09, 4:20pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Oh my... you've gone 7 months with no kiln? I'd be bummed.

Have you tried replacing the element?

Old 2010-10-09, 8:01pm

Default Kiln Problems

Hi
Not knowing about kilns, my DH replaced the elements for me, so that's not it.
I'm just beside myself. I've made some beads just to practise but they usually crack cause no prper way to anneal them.
Penny
Old 2010-10-09, 8:04pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Penny, I'm thinking the AIM folks should be helping you troubleshoot the problem better. I have 2 JenKen kilns & always get help when something goes wrong. They always walk me though things to figure out what's wrong. Stay on the phone with them longer & make them help you figure out the problem. Maybe you can send the relay back for a refund?

Vivian

-

Old 2010-10-09, 8:06pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I would look for someone who can repair it... is there a glass shop or ceramic studio near you? If there is then maybe you can call and see if they can repair it or refer you to someone who can.

Old 2010-10-09, 8:13pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLASSFREEK View Post
If the relay clicks when you turn the kiln on, its not the relay, make sure your set point is set at like 925 if its at room temp it the kiln wont heat up.
If the relay clicks on and the set point is set to 925 then either a wire is loose or burnt or the element is bad.

Mike
Did you check all wires like Mike suggests?
Old 2010-10-10, 12:22am

Default Kiln Problems

Hi
Eveything has been checked 100 times over! I am so sick of looking at this kiln I am ready to just chuck it out the window ggggggrrrrrrrrrrr!
Anyways my husband has been helping me too. He has checked everything possible. I have tried to find someone like ceramics studios. There is one glass shop in the city and one out in the suburbs,but they couldn't help me. The only option I see now is to phone AIM kilns after the long weekend(it's our Thanksgiving on Monday. So I guess Tuesday I'll call. I wish I could find someone to batch anneal. I guess I will look a little harder at that till I can get my kiln working. And if anyone has any other ideas feel free and post.
Thanks everyone
Penny
Old 2010-10-10, 9:41am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Its the element, look for a little burn spot.
I you cant get one from aim give us a call.

Mike

Old 2010-10-10, 7:21pm

Smile Kiln Problems

Hi
Why thank you for the offer Mike. It is appreciated. Could a burn in the element be small, what am I looking for?
If I get no satisfaction from AIM I will definitly contact you.
I just checked out your website. You've got some awesome looking kilns! Maybe you could pm me on payment plans on your 2 least expensive kilns. Thanks
Penny

Last edited by penny5658; 2010-10-10 at 8:02pm.
Old 2010-10-11, 9:39am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

it will be just a little burn spot, you should be able to see a split in the element.

Mike

Old 2010-10-17, 6:16pm

Unhappy Kiln Problems

Hi
Another update, I spoke to Susan at AIM kilns and she is sending me new wires that hook up to the relay. These wires are covered so you can't see if they are burned.
My DH and me checked the elements again with a magnifying glass. There are no burns on the elements. So maybe the new wires will be the problem. Wish me luck!
I will update once the new wires get here.
I keep updating cause if someone else is having similer issues it might help. But I hope no one does cause it's a pain in the butt!
Signing Off For Now
Penny