No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-10-22, 1:21pm
Salt Box Beads

Talking Shed going up

DH finished the base and put the vinyl shed flooring down, he is now working on the doors.

Putting the doors onto saw horses makes it easy for one person to install the windows. Instructions show the doors standing upright saying it takes two people. One person to hold the windows in place so they don't fall out!?

So far so good and I will keep you informed as to any bugaboos we run into so you don't have to go through the same woes if you buy one of these sheds.

The windows are tinted a nice amber color and are a very thin plexiglass type material. The white plastic frame that goes over the windows makes them cute and more secure. if you have any questions just ask.
Attached Images

Old 2011-10-23, 11:15am
Salt Box Beads

Talking More Pictures!

The biggest bugaboo so far: The holes in the plastic do not match up with the holes in metal pieces. I imagine the plastic pieces were manufactured in one country and the metal pieces in another so the quality control isn't that great for hole placement.

DH said he just powers in the screws and makes a new hole next to the predrilled ones. It is annoying especially for my husband who is perfectionist when it comes to building things.

So if you don't mind minor irritations the shed is very doable...so far.

There are lots of boxes of parts to keep track of and on top of using the small book like manual that comes with the shed you MUST download the instructions from their website that have build updates and better pictures that have made putting it together easier.

You can see in the close up of the holes pic that the center holes only lined up with one then the one to the right and left were off and the hols on the very end you couldn't even see them they were so far off.

Yes, we turned the metal pieces this way and that way and tried them back and forth to see which fit best where, it didn't matter they were all mis-drilled.

Putting the rubber strips into the window grooves was also time consuming and if you read the instructions on the website it said to cut off about an inch or so of the weather stripping before you start because they are all too long.

More pics to come...so stay tuned.
Attached Images

Old 2011-10-23, 5:06pm
Salt Box Beads

Default Rest of the pics will be in the next four posts

Hubby only has the door handles to put on and he is done with the build but he wants to use the spray in insulation foam because there is so much daylight coming in at the corners, the floors and along the top of the walls we know the spiders will move in right away and we have tons of black widows here so he will do the spraying tomorrow.

I tried to get shots of the daylight coming through in the first three pics. There are some water spots from the sprnkler. Oops.
Attached Images

Old 2011-10-23, 5:09pm
Salt Box Beads

More pics
Attached Images

Old 2011-10-23, 5:23pm
Salt Box Beads

The last of the pics and I will add one more of the handles when he is done.

We have discussed it now that the shed is up and have determined that a vinyl shed is okay for a potting shed, storage shed or garden shed but we would not use it for a lampworking studio or basically a studio of any kind where you would have expensive equipment inside it. It is really cute though.

We heartily recommend buying a tuff shed even the smallest one if that is all you can afford, at least for the torch, kiln and a glass rack. It would be well worth it in the long run...in our humble opinions.

Our Tuff Shed will be delivered and set up on the 15th of Nov. I will post pics of that build later that evening. Then the fun will begin on a studio build that will include ventilation, replacement air, piping etc.

I have to be patient for 4 weeks!!!! Feels like when I was kid and had to wait for Christmas.

I hope these pics will help others to make decisions and know what is involved in a vinyl shed. The last pics show what was used for the most part to put the shed together, plastic pegs, some metal bracing, metal hinges and that is about it.

I hope we don't have any 80 MPH winds this winter. The shed has been anchored down according to instructions but it feels pretty flimsy.

Again if you have any questions just ask.
Attached Images

Old 2011-10-23, 5:36pm
Salt Box Beads

Default All Done

It definitely takes two people, two short days or one very long work day to put it together without creating a foundation like we did and a step ladder is a must, three people would be much better.

I just now asked DH if he would ever buy another vinyl shed and it was a resounding NO! He will be using it for the over flow of stuff from his woodshop so he is actually happy with it...for now.
Attached Images

Old 2011-11-10, 8:39am

Can you tell me why you decided you decided this shed wont work for torching?

SRA #C88

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-11-10, 4:34pm
Salt Box Beads

Hi Vicki, yep I can.

First it is not very stable and burglers and high winds could make short work of it even though we anchored it as specified. I at least want to make it hard for anyone to break in and steal any of my equipment.

The seams do not match so lots of air gaps and gaps for bugs. spiders and rain to get into, we filled up what we could see with spray foam insulation. We have lots of black widows and getting my studio as air tight as possible is a high priority.

Also there is really no way to easily cut through the walls to add an A/C unit, exhaust unit or fresh air intake unit and have it stabilized like it would be if you cut through a wall of wood. The plastic bows and gives with any weight against it. Cutting through plastic is a pain. We thought we could use the windows but they are not stable enough.

There are so many molded ridges ( to keep it somewhat rigid) that adding a wood frame work inside was going to be a nightmare, same problem for insulation and then gypsum board. On the other hand wood framed structures are made for the additon of building materials.

I wanted a studio I could finish off inside and have it look really nice for teaching and having friends over and wanted it to be cool in the summer and warm in winter and when we cut the holes out for the exhausted air, intake air and A/C unit having a wood framed building with insulation and gypsum board and 2X4's spaced properly really helps to complete the studio quickly and with minimal costs.

Also the plastic walls next to a kiln or torch if they got hot could melt, give off fumes and a plastic shed may not be insurable for a torching studio. So more time and money was involved there. If you wanted your bench against the wall you had to try to cover it with something flame proof and with all of the molded ridges it was not going to be easy.

The other problem was the floor was all hard plastic and it would have to be covered with extra fire retardent flooring and the cost to finish off the cheap shed just got higher and higher with more and more work involved.

So we decided to use it as a darling little garden shed and we are very happy with it as such.

My Tuff Shed arrives Monday and since we already have a barn style Tuff Shed we know exactly what we are getting and they are high quality. It will be a very presentable studio when finished.

When we realized that we were going to have to spend so much more money to use it as a lampworking studio we just decided to put that money into a shed that would last 30 years and not a shed that might not make it through 3-5 summers here in Red Bluff.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-11-11 at 12:16am.
Old 2011-11-10, 5:41pm

Thanks Lorraine

SRA #C88

Old 2011-11-11, 12:12am
Salt Box Beads

You're very welcome Vicki.

I think a vinyl shed would work just fine for some folks who really just want to have a little place to hold a kiln, a torch and work bench and do not have the weather extremes we have here.
Old 2011-11-12, 5:52am

That is my goal, we have hot humid weather, but not much wind. Currently i torch on my back porch and have to put everything away at the end of my torch session. I would love to have a place i could set things up permanently. Also we rent, so i dont want to put tons of money into something that is not portable. DH and i discussed your concerns - i have no plans to teach and had already been space planning in regards to the plastic walls and the torch and kiln.

SRA #C88

Old 2011-11-14, 11:31pm
Salt Box Beads

It should work perfectly for you then Vicki! I am so happy you and your hubby were able to settle on a shed that will work for you and that my pictures and posts may have helped. Every time I look at it I think how darn cute it is.

Here is a pic of the new Tuff Shed just to finish off this thread.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-11-14 at 11:36pm.