Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-04-04, 12:15pm
Macaw Mamma

I absolutely love it!!!!

I have electricity, no phone line, I do have a satelite tv cable run out there... very nice ... the only thing I wish I had was more windows.... you will love all those windows......

If you are even thinking bigger you might as well go bigger from the start then to have to add on later, mine is 12x16 and.... if I have more than 1 person over with all my stuff in there it gets a little cramped....

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2009-04-04, 4:37pm

Last year I saw a large house on the East coast of the US made from several shipping containers. It was on one of the HGTV shows and it was totally cool!

Mary
Old 2009-04-11, 4:57am

Definitely go as large as you can Val. My studio is 8x10. DH wanted me to go 10x12, but I said it was too big. Now I would like to add a second torch but there is no space for it. I should have listened to DH, sometimes he is right!

Liz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-04-11, 6:17am
picking Job's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
Val, make it as big as you can. My studio in my bead cottage is 16x20 I think. I have some pictures of it on my blog: http://labyrinthbeads.blogspot.com/2...-pictures.html

Your cottage is adorable!
Definitely with Ellen on this.

Meant to quote another post but didn't find it again.
Before setting up a teaching studio in your back yard check your zoning.
I know that I wouldn't be allowed to do that here (single family residential - in Hawaii).
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-04-11, 6:21am

how cute Val I am really jealous

R-118
Old 2009-04-11, 11:47am

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas and comments. I'm just back from a week long out-of-town trip, but I'll get caught up on the thread shortly.

For my planning, so far, so good. The town hasn't said 'no' yet to my plans. I'll meet again on Tuesday to go over the specific size and positioning I have in mind. Val

Old 2009-04-11, 1:58pm

Good luck! Hope all goes smoothly!!!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2009-04-12, 9:22pm

I took the advice given here to heart and am planning for a larger studio than I would have normally. My existing basement studio will stay in place, (this is about 800 sq ft) for photography, glass casting, packing and storage needs, so I feel ok having the cottage studio being a little smaller than normal--since it won't have to fill my every need.

Fred and I went outside this afternoon with our measuring tape and stakes. First we charted out what 'felt right' (without measuring), then we measured out in feet, and the numbers were very similar.

We settled on 20' x 12', which is a classic summerwood size. It sits well in proportion to the location, and I think the town won't give us as much trouble, as it's still considered a 'garden shed' size.

(can you see my orange outline marks?)

A very rough design, but this is the proportion I'm thinking with the French doors. The side and back walls will have horizonal windows set high on the wall, while the front, which faces the back of the house will be mostly glass.

This little studio will just as likely become a 'writing' studio as it might be a flameworking studio.

I'll post more as we go along. As always your comments, and suggestions are welcome! Val

Last edited by Val Cox; 2009-04-12 at 9:30pm.
Old 2009-04-13, 7:14am

Looks great!!! Beautiful back yard!!!

If you want some pictures of a studio that is 16x22 for size and layout, PM me and I am happy to share. I have two workstations in my studio.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2009-04-13, 10:17am
Flamewoman

My studio is 10 by 12. It is big enough for me, I keep it organized and cleaned up. It is easy to heat and cool, and didn't overstep size guidelines for our area. I will not outgrow it. I do have a bedroom in the house for making jewelry/crafts so that helps.
The phone: I don't have a phone, and don't want one either in my glass studio. No one would ever call me when I could actually answere anyway. If it is critical that I be reached by phone, I bring my cell phone out there, but that is rare. I like being left alone to create.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2009-04-13, 5:06pm

Hi Val,

I vote for going bigger too. My little studio is 10 x 12 and although it is plenty big enough for me, I also hold demo classes in it and it is very.....cozy. Nobody really seems to mind though since we have so much fun. But a few extra feet all around would be nice.

Above all I wish I had more storage within easy reach, but my ceilings are low and there isn't much wall space with the large door and windows.

Good luck to you and I can't wait to see what design you wind up getting.

Old 2009-04-15, 4:34pm

Hi Val,

My suggestion is to measure twice and cut once:

Here are some suggestions for getting the layout setup - the first time!!
I am a drafter by training. I suggest you get a large, 24" x 36" sheet of gridded paper from a drafting supply store. Look for 4 squares to the inch then you can use a regular ruler to measure with. Then layout the INTERIOR dimensions of the space, lay out where your windows, doors & door swings, and other fixtures will be. There are sites on the internet that have about how much clearance/walk way or moving around room is required for chairs, tables, door swings. Then also layout your electrical outlets, where the ducting is going (ducting needs so much room to turn a corner), and lighting fixtures. This may sound overwhelming but it will be worth it. Try cutting out paper "footprints" of your movable items--tables, shelving, torches, and safety clearances for hot kilns, torches, elbow room. You can slide these "footprints" around to play with the layout. Think of it as adult dollhouse 101.
Hopefully this planning will save you headaches and help you to see what size structure will truely fit your goals and dreams.

Good luck on the studio, I am quite envious but feel inspired to keep working toward a studio of my own.

Julie
Old 2009-04-15, 5:35pm

Thank you for the suggestions. Heather, I'll look forward to seeing your images, no hurry--I know you've had camera and weather issues.

Mary, thanks for letting me know your 10'x12' is a good size for you. I'm honestly feeling a little overwhelmed by the 12'x20' size we've staked out. So far the town planning is in agreement with my building this size, and they will allow a pier style foundation, rather than laying a concrete slab, so that's good news.

The trouble I'm having is 12'x20' feels too large, almost unmanagable, and if it's true that budgets generally go over, it's getting very expensive the larger it gets. I'm in a large space now, which I can keep, but for this garden studio, I almost wish I could go back to my original plan of a 'just right', yet small space.

Julie, I will absolutely take your suggestion and chart this out on grid paper. I simply can not visualize this space by eyeing the ground between 4 stakes in the grass.

Thank you for your insights Diane! ~wave~

Val

Old 2009-04-15, 5:56pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Val,

I'm so envious that you even get to think about creating this new, fabulous space!!

I work in a closet that's pretty much 6 x 4 so anything bigger than that would be my dream space The nice thing about my cosy space? Everything is within arms reach. Someday we'll have some land and no homeowner's association and I'll be able to build the studio of my dreams.

-Yee

Old 2009-05-11, 7:13am

Quote:
The trouble I'm having is 12'x20' feels too large, almost unmanagable, and if it's true that budgets generally go over, it's getting very expensive the larger it gets. I'm in a large space now, which I can keep, but for this garden studio, I almost wish I could go back to my original plan of a 'just right', yet small space.

Julie, I will absolutely take your suggestion and chart this out on grid paper. I simply can not visualize this space by eyeing the ground between 4 stakes in the grass.
Do you have a room in your house this size? Or a room in someone else's house that you can use for comparison?

I find getting in a real space & figuring out where everything you need would fit really helps.

Back in my day, we had nine planets.
Old 2009-05-29, 2:49pm

I'm back to my little shed/cottage project. After the input I received from many of you, and after examining what I really wanted in a studio, I thought long and hard about what I needed and wanted. In the end, I decided I had a pretty premium space for my flameworking studio where it was and more than enough room, so I'm not moving it.

I also decided I still wanted a little backyard cottage, so that's what we're going to build. I won't however move my work studio into it. It will serve as a little writing studio, guest house, garden spot, place to sit and read or take a nap. (Do you all still want to see the progress, even if I won't put my torch within?)

I'm going with a post and beam design from www.pineharbor.com. It's a 12x14 salt box design, similar to this, but a little larger.

(this style)

Where the double doors on on the side, I will have 2 glass french doors. The roof is white cedar shingles. The siding will be cedar clapboard which I'll need to stain.

I've repositioned it in the yard away from where I first planned, and within the shade of the big cherry tree. Outside the french doors will be a stone patio which I'll need to save up for a bit and do later in the year.

This is the view of the plot from the front. On the right are the stakes that show the patio size --12x12.

Here's the view from the rear, the patio is on the left.

The ground is very uneven no matter where we place it in the yard. I have contracted for a company to come next week to level the space. They need to use timbers to retain the soil and top with 4"-6" of cut stone as a foundation, as our town requires. They start on Tuesday!

The shed takes 4-5 weeks from today (when I placed my order) to arrive, and 1-3 days to built it. I'll have electricity, but no water. My door will be a deep garnet red. I can't wait! Val

Old 2009-05-29, 5:28pm
Cancer SUCKS!

ummmm, yeah we still want to see your progress. Can't wait to watch.

Old 2009-05-29, 5:37pm
Wahwahbabypants

Val I have a great book of inspiration for you...It's called "Ideas for Great Backyard Cottages" and it's by Sunset books. ISBN 037601048-7. It deals with interior design, outside accents, lighting and storage. And it's nice eye candy!

If you want to borrow my copy I'll mail it to you (it's a papercover so not really heavy) and you can send it back when you're done. PM me you address if you are interested.

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-05-29, 6:17pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

That is adorable, Val! What color are you painting it? I love the yellow on the one you posted - so "cottagey"!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-05-29, 7:40pm

Thanks Deb!

Charlene, thanks for the tip and specifics about the book. I may have it, as I've gathered what I could find on the subject these last months, let me check. Otherwise, yes I might just take you up on your generous offer to borrow that book.

Squid, I love that yellow too! The color we've selected is a Behr stain called Parchment, which is a transparent stain over the cedar, and appears pale yellow. It matches closely to the main house. It's less vibrant than the yellow in the example, but along that same line. From the samples I've seen on wood, I think it will look really good. I like to test colors however, so I'll likely try a few similar shade colors on scrap first!

Staining or painting the exterior as well as sealing the cedar shingle roof are things Fred and I will do ourselves shortly after it's completed, as the builders don't do that part.

Last edited by Val Cox; 2009-05-29 at 7:43pm.
Old 2009-06-03, 8:48am

Today they are breaking ground to build my foundation. This guy is also running the in-ground electrical line. The ground is on a slope, so he'll build a retaining wall with the timbers to hold back the soil, then top it off with 6" of cut stone.

The construction of the cottage is still 4-5 weeks off, per the builder's schedule. Hopefully they can come and finish before I leave for my summer class at Corning mid July. Otherwise, I'll have to push the schedule back.

Charlene, I found that I have that book on the back of my shelf. It's a great one, thanks for reminding me about it, I'm re-reading it now.

Val

Old 2009-06-03, 10:42am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Oooh, how exciting. I am living vicariously through you, Val

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-06-03, 10:52am
Wahwahbabypants

Glad you found a copy of the book...it's my little dreaming tool every now and again. Can't wait to see your cottage progress.

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-06-03, 11:01am
make beads not war

oooh... I can't wait to see the progress! I just found this Val... congratulations! I thought a 10 x10 space was too big when I moved in, but now I need more table space!
Old 2009-06-03, 6:55pm

I have a foundation! The cut stone is not tamped down yet as the rains became too heavy this afternoon and they left for the day. They'll finish up the foundation on Monday and dig the trench for the electrical line.

Grass seed was spread over the dirt areas.

Last edited by Val Cox; 2009-06-03 at 6:58pm.
Old 2009-06-04, 7:54pm
Broken

Val I just found this thread! I am looking at a 12x30 building to move my glass studio into. I am just not sure about it. I think I could have 5 torches along one wall and lots of room for glass storage. There is a small room at one end that could be a storage room with maybe a futon for a guest? I'd keep my studio in the house for silversmithing and an office. I am just torn if I want to commit to using a studio that big!

Charlene I am going to look for that book I could use so layout help and possible outside design ideas if we decide to change the outside look of the building.

Old 2009-06-05, 7:35am

Nicker, oh gosh, 12 x 30 sounds incredible, you will fill it up. There's nothing wrong with a bit of open space!

Once the foundation was laid, mine looks so small, lol! I'm really happy Fred insisted I add a couple more feet to each side, even though a small size increase nearly doubled the total price. It's still raining here, nothing more going on until next week when it's due to be clear and dry.

Old 2009-06-05, 8:51am
Broken

It didn't look that big once I saw it! LOL I have a nice studio in the house, but have been mulling over setting up several torches for a while. In my studio right now I have to set up my silversmithing stuff every time I want to work and I find I just don't get things done this way.

I am really stressing over the commitment of spending more money on a studio though, I feel like if I get more space I need to be using it a lot of justify it.

Val you have such an eye for design and style. I love every picture you've posted of the buildings I can't wait to see this progress!

Old 2009-06-08, 9:52am

Today I have electricity! Or at least the line is run!

Since we had fair weather today, the foundations guys came to tamp down the foundation, and mark off where the paver stones will go.

We'll do the patio stones after the cottage is built. (note chalk line marks) I found a E.P. Henry patio stone I really like, but Fred wants to go with local Pennsylvania blue stone. We'll have to see how the pricing works out. I want a nice patio, but don't want it to cost more than the cottage!

With the foundation and electrical line we're into it for about $2k so far. The cottage studio construction is still a month away, so I'll update again in a few weeks when things look a little different. Or when the grass seed takes for all this newly upturned dirt!

Old 2009-06-09, 2:54am
She's Back & Burnin'

It's looking good!!! I love seeing the progress. And this will be so much easier to deal with than the basement was.

I sure do miss the photos of the studio spot you had in town though.

Sara