Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-06-05, 6:05pm
flight risk

Default Artist on Call gallery

I'm trying to get up the nerve to make some of the requested beads, I'm afraid I'm not good enough yet. Anyway, several that I looked at are "sold" (already claimed), so can you please post photos of what you are making for the kids so I can be inspired?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-06, 12:50am

Good idea Glenda !! I too would love to see what people are making to send in.

Terri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-06, 7:57am
Shelarious

You could check out Marcy's blog back when she was giving away a free Cricket torch to support BOC. There's tons of photos of what people sent in to BOC:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-06-06, 6:28pm
Glass Whisperer

I did make some of the beads for the special requests. I don’t mind sharing some pictures but would like to wait until after the event and the children have their beads. Some of the requests were quite challenging. I did not “buy” any of the requests until after I had actually made the bead and felt it would be worthy. Some took 3 tries before I was satisfied. I think we do tend to be our own worst critics. I loved doing it and learned a lot. I would love to see pictures of what others have made as well.

Sandy
Old 2011-06-07, 2:48pm
specializing in obnoxious

Please do show them. I have some failed globs of orange and purple that were supposed to be an ocopus with a pencil. After overheating , I mashed it all together. I am grateful that I didn't 'buy' the bead before I tried it.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2011-06-08, 8:36pm
Glass Whisperer

Quote:
Please do show them. I have some failed globs of orange and purple that were supposed to be an ocopus with a pencil. After overheating , I mashed it all together. I am grateful that I didn't 'buy' the bead before I tried it.
The octopus on the pencil is one that I did! It took 3 tries and I still wanted it to be better.
Old 2011-06-09, 11:16am

Where can you find out the requested beads?
Old 2011-06-09, 4:25pm
Loving learning

This may have dropped down too far for people to notice. I'm assuming we would have to sign up to be on the list of people who have said they will make beads on request, but I'm not sure.
Old 2011-06-12, 7:11am
Run Free Sweet Boy

ok call me stupid, but I cant find this on the BOC webpage. I wanted to give the info to the guild at meeting today and no luck to find the info.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-06-12, 8:30am
flight risk

The requested beads are under "Shop", under "Artist on Call" but I think you have to be registered to see the list. I just got an e-mail that they are still looking for some bead requests to be filled, for an event next week... Unfortunately I ran out of gas doing teacher gifts and don't think I can help this time

Old 2011-06-12, 9:00am
Loving learning

I cannot find the post asking for volunteers. I'd like to sign up if they still are looking for people, now that I know they don't assign designs that maybe I can't do, that we can look at the requests & do the ones we're comfortable with doing.
Old 2011-06-12, 9:22am
Glass Whisperer

To see the requests, you need to be registered. Email Lori Greenberg and she can tell you all about how it works.

Sandy
Old 2011-06-15, 9:20pm
Obsessed Blogger

Yes, just email me or, there is a link at http:/artistsgive.com to "apply".

::
Old 2011-06-16, 6:37pm
Glass Whisperer

Now that the event is over, I am sharing a few pictures as promised.

Here is a purple octopus that has orange spots with yellow rings around them and eyes and a smile on a no.2 pencil.

And a Yorkshire terrier.

I would love to see what others have made.
Sandy

Old 2011-06-16, 6:59pm
Whooooo, me?

Oh, Sandy! Those both came out fantastic! I LOVE the Yorkie!

I did a "Right Whale"

Old 2011-06-16, 7:00pm
Loving learning

Ow wow. That's all, just WOW!
Old 2011-06-16, 7:21pm
flight risk

Thanks for sharing! I love the big smile on the octopus, and the whale is beautiful! Every time I read the list of requests, I tear up. I really need to get motivated and make a few of these.

Old 2011-06-16, 8:05pm
Glass Whisperer

Thanks everyone. I am so happy I could contribute. I will be making more as often as I can.

Beth...the right whale is awesome! Great work!

Sandy
Old 2011-06-19, 9:06am
Queen Hermit

OMG!! I got to see the octopus on the pencil (in real life).......it was so cool!!
I was a goober and forgot to take a picture of my bead before I took it up to the event......I did the Sacre Coeur......
It was wonderful to see the happiness on the kiddo's and family's faces.......I'm happy that I could participate......
one little boy was sooo excited to see his sonic the hedgehog......priceless!

Christi

K28

Old 2011-06-19, 11:25am
Whooooo, me?

Quote:
OMG!! I got to see the octopus on the pencil (in real life).......it was so cool!!
I was a goober and forgot to take a picture of my bead before I took it up to the event......I did the Sacre Coeur......
It was wonderful to see the happiness on the kiddo's and family's faces.......I'm happy that I could participate......
one little boy was sooo excited to see his sonic the hedgehog......priceless!

Christi
That's great, Christi. Would love to see the kids reactions when they get their Dream beads.

You did the Sacre Coeur request? Hmmm, it was still showing as not sold Friday...so I worked on one for it Friday night and yesterday. Guess it won't matter if they get "two" of their dream beads.

Maybe Lori will chime in and we can figure out if there is a glitch so that we aren't working on the same requests...spread us a little farther.

Beth

Old 2011-06-19, 12:11pm
Whooooo, me?

This is the Sacre Coeur (Immaculate Heart) I did, I think I was most excited about how the little silver sword came out, as my silversmithing experience is still very new.

Old 2011-06-19, 1:49pm
Loving learning

That is wonderful, and hopefully there will be another request soon so you can snag it & make a young patient very happy!
Old 2011-06-19, 2:55pm
Glass Whisperer

Wow! The Sacre Coeur is stunning. The sword is perfect.

I also worked on one that may have ended up a duplicate. I made the white x-box controller. I did "buy" it but it did not show "sold" right away. Lori fixed that issue I think. I'm sure any duplicates are welcome.

I also made the zombie football player and the blue pig with mustache/chihuahua.

Old 2011-06-19, 2:59pm
Loving learning

Those beads are wonderful! And the kids imaginations are great!
Old 2011-06-20, 10:17am

Yes, these are absolutely fantastic beads that the kids will certainly treasure. I like making special beads for the kids too, especially ones boys like. Funky fun! Still, I will send in simple frit beads when the mood strikes me because I know that even if a bead is not used on a child's strand, it will be used by the BOC program in some way that benefits the kids.
Old 2011-06-22, 4:20pm
Pugs rule

Those are awesome and I sent an email. I just sent in 290 beads for this wonderful program.

Old 2011-06-25, 5:08pm
Carpe beadum

You guys are terrific artists! I almost took on the terrier. I'm glad I didn't because you did such a stellar job of it, Sandy. I'll take pics and post the monkey I just finished.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2011-06-25, 10:14pm
I speak Murrini!

I didn't know about this...until recently when I received a wonderful email and was asked if I could accommodate a Dream Bead special request. Of course I was thrilled to oblige!

I've gone ahead and submitted my application...I hope I'm accepted!
It would be my pleasure and delight to occasionally bring a special Dream Bead to life...as best I can.

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-06-28, 7:09am

We'll be making beads starting pretty soon for the Celebration of Courage in Atlanta this Fall. I made over 40 for last year's event. Some of them were really challenging but we ended up with 155 very special beads made for the kids and we'll be needing a lot more this time around. I enjoyed stretching my imagination and skills to get the beads done. Getting that special bead to the child who dreamed it up is something really can't be described well here. Sign up and give it a go, you won't regret it.

Robert
Old 2011-06-28, 9:31am

Quote:
I am so glad this has been bumped up! I am finally rested up from Bead and Button (and the new, totally sucky work schedule) and ready to hop on the torch again. I want to get busy on some of these beads. I agree, I can hardly read the requests - they are so simple and innocent. I tear up every time. I only hope I can make some beads that will be treasured by whoever gets them.
I can promise you that the Dream Beads are serious treasures to the kids and their parents as well. Our Celebration of Courage here in Atlanta last year was an amazing event. Getting to hand a child their special bead that I designed and made just for them was quite a moment. Just knowing that the bead makers are out there donating their time and creative energy to make these highly personal beads is a real boost.

Robert