Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-10-01, 12:01am
product of the universe

Default crap shooting out my torch

ok so my delta was shooting crap out of it leaving the surface of my glass covered with air bubbles. i switched my torch over to a cc that hasn't been used in awhile. still i get the same thing. So i changed both regulators same thing. Next i changed both oxy and propane lines still the same thing. next i changed my propane tank same thing. Does any one know what is going on here i can't blow glass cause every piece i make is covered in divits on the surface and bubble below the surface. I have not encountered anything like this in the six years i've been doing this. and its really bothering me since i can't accomplish anything. Its been two days and i am at my ends with this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2006-10-01, 1:03am
Entropy increasing....

Well, I have no idea, but you have my sympathies. Bummer.
Old 2006-10-01, 1:08am
sorcerer

seems you have tried changing everything except your hoses. It could also be dust in the air in your workspace.
EMBE
Old 2006-10-01, 3:47am
What, Me Worry?

Assuming none of the swap outs had the same problem as the primary items (for example - humidity condensation in the hose), and assuming it's not being pulled into the flame from the ambient air, then the only thing left is the oxygen tank.

Me
Old 2006-10-01, 8:12pm
PyronamixK

What about the glass itself? Has it ever given you trouble before?

Try running the oxygen alone and put something in front of the torch to catch anything that may be shooting out. If you get something, then maybe it is the oxygen tank. I think Todd on GLDG had an similar problem last year.
Old 2006-10-03, 12:04pm
product of the universe

I have tried different brands of glass, cleaning it with alcahol first. i've tried fresh glass outta the case.
If i am careful working i only get small spots on the glass. I should be getting a new liquid tank tomorrow so hopefully that works.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2006-10-03, 8:39pm
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayes
I have tried different brands of glass, cleaning it with alcahol first. i've tried fresh glass outta the case.
If i am careful working i only get small spots on the glass. I should be getting a new liquid tank tomorrow so hopefully that works.
Now that's an interesting tidbit of info. I, for one, was thinking you were on compressed oxygen (although technically, liquid is compressed gas - very compressed). This would be interesting to explore... liquid oxygen and volume level problems. What temperature is the oxygen when it is flowing through the hose? What is the present humidity in your area - 80%?

And if it goes away with the new tank, do let us know.

Me
Old 2006-10-06, 11:59pm
product of the universe

Ok i think i got it. after switching my big propane over to a barbeque grill tank, things started to subside. well then that tank ran out and so i hooked up the original propane tank. whoa it was super worse again. So i took the lines off my propane on the delta there was a bunch of crap in the inline screen. The stuff was so bad it even made my footpedal jam up. I returned the propane and got a new one.

So far it seems to be working out, stuff is still shooting out the tip but its getting better.About every half hour i shut things down and clean out the inline screens.

Currently using fire.