No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-12-11, 11:45am
jessica barksdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggybubba View Post
I was not torching 6-8 hrs a day. I was torching maybe 3 hrs a day during the weekend so maybe a total of 6 hrs a week. It does not take much to damage yourself not to mention anyone else in the house. Ok so we cant read you mind and know that you are thinking about ventilation (that means a hood and proper fan) but from your responses its easy to think that you are not...ventilation does not have to cost an arm and a leg.
I got a 800cfm fan on ebay for just over 200. I am going to build my own hood. I am going to build a wood frame and line it with metal.

word, tiggy.

& it can cost even less than that if you really do some research & make yourself determined to stay within a certain budget. i have put off setting up shop & doing what i love, glass work, ALL FOR SAFETY REASONS. after waiting & searching i finally found an 890CFM fan for only $20 on craigslist - yes as in TWENTY, i did not make a typo. i intend to build a hood/funnel thing for it which from what i've looked at can do for less than $50. which means i'll have a pretty good ventilation set up for less than $100.

right now i refuse to set up my shop because the hose i have is r grade, which is not appropriate for propane, so i will not use it (it came with my regulators) & because i don't have flashback arrestors.

all i'm saying is, safety first, 'cos WE LUBS OUR FELLOW LAMPWORKER & WANT YOU TO STAY HEALTHY ENOUGH TO TORCH FOR A VERY LONG TIME.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jes
i make stuff & also things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
Old 2008-12-11, 11:47am
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdb View Post
If after any torch sessions you feel a tightness/roughness in your nose, chest or throat or or have a strange metallic taste in your mouth even with the respirator, then you'll know your ventilation setup doesn't work and you should immediately stop and continue to make adjustments until you can work without those symptoms.

p.s. make sure the respirator is specialized for fumes not just dust. they look similar...
I will look into a respirator. This is actually a good idea, if they aren't that expensive.

Would something like this be effective?
http://www.professionalequipment.com...k-respirators/

Old 2008-12-11, 11:49am
da General

You don't need my help to look like the bad guy, Christopher. Your responses to those who tried to help you have already done that for you.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-11, 11:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MardiGrasGlass View Post
YOU are just trying to make me out to be a bad guy by publicly misinterpretting my words.....
I think your doing a good job yourself by the way you always seem to take the defensive side when anyone tries to offer "suggestions" to HELP you. Even going as far as deleting your posts in other threads....

Why do you always feel that people who respond to your posts are picking on you???

There is a wealth of experience and knowledge on this forum, and when anyone says anything you take a defensive stance and have to shoot everyone done.

Nice Attitude!!!
Old 2008-12-11, 11:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruca View Post
i intend to build a hood/funnel thing for it which from what i've looked at can do for less than $50. which means i'll have a pretty good ventilation set up for less than $100.
somewhere someone had posted a thread about a home built vent hood that was made out of a horses water trough. I thought that was neat, and if I could find that thread, and more examples its a possibility. We already have a trough, and I'm pretty handy building things. Course I'd have to build a hutch like top for my desk to support the "hood". Then I could just run come duct work to the window behind it. Hmmmmm..... something to think about!

Old 2008-12-11, 11:56am
jessica barksdale

you know what sucks, christopher? when i bought the fan from the guy he had two of the same one for $20 each. it was just a couple days after i joined here - i wish i had known your situation already, i would've bought it & sent it to you!

jes

|
Old 2008-12-11, 11:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by *PyroMinx* View Post
I think your doing a good job yourself by the way you always seem to take the defensive side when anyone tries to offer "suggestions" to HELP you. Even going as far as deleting your posts in other threads....

Why do you always feel that people who respond to your posts are picking on you???

There is a wealth of experience and knowledge on this forum, and when anyone says anything you take a defensive stance and have to shoot everyone done.

Nice Attitude!!!
I deleted my posts because they apparently caused other folks to much pain and suffering, hence the previous fiasco.

And I dont think people are picking on me, I just think the delivery of their "concern" sucks. Much like yours!

Old 2008-12-11, 12:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
You don't need my help to look like the bad guy, Christopher. Your responses to those who tried to help you have already done that for you.
When did constructive adult conversation cast a negative light on anyone? And if thats the case, then this is the wrong forum for me! If someone learns how to provide contructive criticism, and it provides education for me, how does that make me out to be a bad guy?

Last edited by MardiGrasGlass; 2008-12-11 at 12:03pm.
Old 2008-12-11, 12:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruca View Post
you know what sucks, christopher? when i bought the fan from the guy he had two of the same one for $20 each. it was just a couple days after i joined here - i wish i had known your situation already, i would've bought it & sent it to you!
I wonder if a salvage builders supply would have such a thing. Something like Habitat for Humanities "Re-Store." I'll try and check them out soon. I may be able to find a full hood and fan there for next to nothing. Never thought about that....

Old 2008-12-11, 12:06pm

Have you ever thought about the way in which you respond?

Your delivery comes across very negatively, abrupt, and condescending to others who are "concerned" about the information being shared, especially when it comes to issues regarding health.

Peace to you and your little self inflicted negative world you choose to reside in.
Old 2008-12-11, 12:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *PyroMinx* View Post
Peace to you and your little self inflicted negative world you choose to reside in.

Howdy Neighbor!

Old 2008-12-11, 12:18pm
jessica barksdale

Quote:
I wonder if a salvage builders supply would have such a thing. Something like Habitat for Humanities "Re-Store." I'll try and check them out soon. I may be able to find a full hood and fan there for next to nothing. Never thought about that....
can't hurt to try, right? i would just recommend looking for something that's atleast 600cfm, higher if you can find it.

& when i found my fan, i seriously searched craigslist twice a day for a couple months before i found something in my price range. just keep looking & you'll find something in yours, too!

since you said you're pretty handy, you might want to just try checking the dump, too. if you're a good fixer up type person you might be able to bring life to a broken fan.

jes

|
Old 2008-12-11, 12:49pm
Pyromaniac

Please, everybody needs to calm down. All this negativity on the board and in this post is starting to get to me and I am sure many other people. Why don't we as people who have been around a while try to be a little kinder and gentler with the new people. It is hard to come on here and ask questions or make improvements (even if they are not ideal) just to be criticized. Even people with just a few posts are getting caught up in this.

Trying to make a point in a more positive way might be a better way to influence someone. If they come back with defensiveness, we don't need to get defensive and authoritative in return.

All we can do is give our opinion in a reasonable way without taking things so personally.

This reminds me of all the cars that beep when I don't put on my seatbelt right away. I always wear my seatbelt, but if I didn't want to wear one, it is my choice. I don't need a beep every 2 minutes reminding me or the government telling me it is against the law to not wear a seltbelt. Don't we have free choice anymore?

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-12-11, 12:54pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
somewhere someone had posted a thread about a home built vent hood that was made out of a horses water trough. I thought that was neat, and if I could find that thread, and more examples its a possibility. We already have a trough, and I'm pretty handy building things. Course I'd have to build a hutch like top for my desk to support the "hood". Then I could just run come duct work to the window behind it. Hmmmmm..... something to think about!

Christopher here is my orginal post on the feed trough: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=feed+Trough

Here is the link to the finished studio: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=76849

Just to let you know I started out just like you 9 years ago trying to find any information I could about lampworking. People are here to help you..... not to hurt you. This forum is awesome and so are the people who have shared their knowlege through out the years.

Have fun on your journey!

Dawn

Last edited by Mustang Dawn; 2008-12-11 at 1:04pm.
Old 2008-12-11, 12:59pm
jessica barksdale

i hope i've been perceived as positive throughout this thread, as it was my only intent.

& christopher, if you need any help/advice/opinions with ventilation & don't want to ask publicly, feel free to PM me anytime. i'd be happy to help you in any way i can - i'm not the most experienced person on this forum but i like to be useful when i can.

jes

|
Old 2008-12-11, 1:08pm
Pyromaniac

Jes, I think you have been positive and I was not trying to single out anyone . . . I just was hoping we could all take a look at our reactions to things (myself included) and try to be positive before this becomes another out of control thread.

Old 2008-12-11, 1:11pm
just quincy

I completely agree with Lana. Temper, temper.
We are all trying our best to help Christopher...getting p'd off because you aren't getting the response you want doesn't help your case, but when you post, people assume YOU want imput...
There are lots of ways to find not so expensive ventilation solutions...
doing something is better than nothing...keep trying, keep improving.

An n-100 mask is an excellent example of something to do to help keep yourself safer.
I recently set up my studio ventilation for 8 torches. There were a few months of "tweaking" the system to make it safe for all who come here. I, personally, am not sensitive to the fumes from lampworking. I searched and searched for inexpensive options, built and rebuilt, and spent around $300. I am not rich, I finagled every penny. It can be done.
We are just trying to help each other be as safe and healthy as we can be.

Little Dragon 21/Betta, tanked O2/NG

Last edited by quincyandco; 2008-12-11 at 2:21pm.
Old 2008-12-11, 1:17pm
just quincy

Here is a photo of my set up. The hood is polycarbonate--I wanted to keep my studio light. The second incarnation is where I had to enlarge it and add the second fan. It is hard to see the hood. It has a 6 1/2" overhang and measures 9ft by 3 1/2 ft. I hung it all by myself too!
Name:  P1010080.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  47.7 KB

Last edited by quincyandco; 2008-12-11 at 1:20pm.
Old 2008-12-11, 1:18pm
jessica barksdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
Jes, I think you have been positive and I was not trying to single out anyone . . . I just was hoping we could all take a look at our reactions to things (myself included) and try to be positive before this becomes another out of control thread.
oh good. i was just making sure because sometimes i come off as the big b word without meaning to.

and also, i agree with everything you said. i like all smiles & positivity, 'cos thats what life should be about.

jes

|
Old 2008-12-11, 1:19pm
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyandco View Post
Here is a photo of my set up. The hood is polycarbonate--I wanted to keep my studio light. You can see the second incarnation where I had to enlarge it and add the second fan.
Attachment 73018
That is way cool!!! Very sexy hood, I didn't even see it at first. Where did you get the hood or how did you build it?

Old 2008-12-11, 1:22pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Here is a photo of my set up. The hood is polycarbonate--I wanted to keep my studio light. The second incarnation is where I had to enlarge it and add the second fan. It is hard to see the hood. It has a 6 1/2" overhang and measures 9ft by 3 1/2 ft. I hung it all by myself too!
Attachment 73018
I LOVE it

Old 2008-12-11, 1:24pm
just quincy

I decided on my dimensions and had TAP plastic cut the sheeting and cut the holes. I bought the special glue and applicator from TAP and put it together on my table. I then figured out the best places for supports, drilled holes, and hung it on chains--that made it easier to adjust the height.
I built a smaller version for Dragoneyes and JV--they live in the hood.

Old 2008-12-11, 1:30pm
Pyromaniac

Quote:
I decided on my dimensions and had TAP plastic cut the sheeting and cut the holes. I bought the special glue and applicator from TAP and put it together on my table. I then figured out the best places for supports, drilled holes, and hung it on chains--that made it easier to adjust the height.
I built a smaller version for Dragoneyes and JV--they live in the hood.
What are the dimensions on your worktable for 8 torches?
I'm ready to move in there, LOL.

Oh and Dawn, I saw your trough idea a few weeks ago and looked all over the internet trying to find a big metal trough, such a great idea.
They are not easy to find, and are being made in plastic now.

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2008-12-11 at 1:32pm.
Old 2008-12-11, 1:31pm
just quincy

It is 4 ft by 10 ft.

Last edited by quincyandco; 2008-12-11 at 1:34pm.
Old 2008-12-11, 1:31pm
da General

Quote:
I completely agree with Lana. Temper, temper.
Sorry Quincy my good friend, this time I completely disagree with you and Lana, and wholeheartedly agree with PyroMinx.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-11, 1:40pm
da General

I have just put you on the Ignore List, Christopher, so don't bother to pm me again.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-12-11, 1:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dawn View Post
People are here to help you..... not to hurt you. This forum is awesome and so are the people who have shared their knowlege through out the years. Dawn
I fully agree! And except for very few isolated incidences, its rather enjoyable. And despite what people *may* think of me because of my very strong opinions, headstrong attitude, and blunt words, I do appreciate the concern. I'm also glad that people can state their opinions, beat a topic to death, and then move on without any true hard feelings....

Old 2008-12-11, 1:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I have just put you on the Ignore List, Christopher, so don't bother to pm me again.
Well, if you disagree so much, why continue to show up? Find another thread!

Old 2008-12-11, 1:41pm
just quincy

I am just saying that losing one's temper because of some good advice (perceived as attacks) is not where he should go...people were trying to tell him that however much he had done was still not adequate. I don't know why he got so angry.

Last edited by quincyandco; 2008-12-11 at 2:22pm.
Old 2008-12-11, 1:43pm
Pyromaniac

Quote:
It is 4 ft by 10 ft.
Thanks for showing this. I'm going to look into doing this for my studio renovation, it takes up no visual space at all! I may need to PM you and pick your brain.