No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-01-31, 11:54am
Annie

Default What kind of respirator?

I see "using a respirator" being mentioned all the time, and being new to the world of lampworking, am wondering, what kind of respirator are we talking about? And where do you buy them?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tanked Oxy
Old 2010-01-31, 11:58am
Annie

Found a link!!

http://www.isgb.org/forum/showthread.php?p=111324

Tanked Oxy
Old 2010-01-31, 12:15pm
Annie

I just found a reasonably price source in case any one wants to check it out.

http://masksnmore.stores.yahoo.net/

Tanked Oxy
Old 2010-01-31, 12:20pm

They are rubber and plastic, usually gray, that are molded and fit over the mouth and nose. There are cartridges that screw onto the mask on either side and they filter out gas and particles ... the particular gasses and particles depend on the kind of filter. You need cartridges rated at least N-100 (I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong). I got mine at Sears, but I've seen them at Menards and Home Depot; with cartridges they run in the price range of $30-$40.

One thing I almost missed when I bought mine is that they come in sizes so they fit snugly. Make sure you don't just grab one - check the size.

Old 2010-01-31, 3:53pm
Formerly FishBulb

I bought mine at Acklands Grainger. It's a half-mask made of silicone, by North Products, with separate P100 screw-on canister filters. It's not cheap but it's worth it for my peace of mind.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-02-07, 8:09pm

Do you need to wear them whenever you are lampworking or just working with frit and powders?
Old 2010-02-07, 9:19pm
Covered in glitter

If you've got good ventilation you only need them with frit and powders. I don't use them with frit but I do with enamels.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-02-08, 9:14am
Gentleman of Leisure

And you should wear one when "fuming" as it relases lots of heavy metals at the molecular level...

And good ventilation is always important even when using respirator....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-02-08, 7:51pm
burnin' glass just becuz

i use a N95 dust mask for powders, enamels etc, and a P100 fume respirator for extensive use of silver glass, copper/silver/gold leaf/foil or wire as well as when fuming.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland