Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2011-01-10, 1:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini View Post
I was actually going to buy this "tut" today, right now actually. I just came here to get the link.

But now I have a question: Kim are you offering the high res down load as well? I'd probably have some pages printed (not all 152) and although a book would be great I have issues with mail coming to argentina.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Mini. The high res version isn't available yet but it will be very soon. Anyone who has already bought the Archive will be entitled to download it free, and it will also be available on CD or DVD ROM for those who would rather have it shipped to them on a disk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-10, 1:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffroadglass View Post
Hi Mini. The high res version isn't available yet but it will be very soon. Anyone who has already bought the Archive will be entitled to download it free, and it will also be available on CD or DVD ROM for those who would rather have it shipped to them on a disk.
Ok. So since i"m not sure I can wait, lol, I'll get it now then will you allow me to re-download the hi-res one later? Thanks Kim!
Old 2011-01-10, 1:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini View Post
Ok. So since i"m not sure I can wait, lol, I'll get it now then will you allow me to re-download the hi-res one later? Thanks Kim!
Absolutely. The high-res version is going to be a separate, optional download that will be available in addition to the current version, not instead of it. (The high res file is 300 MB and not everyone is going to want to bother with it.) As long as you've purchased the Archive you'll be able to download the additional high-res version at any time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-10, 1:24pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I just wanted to say that I just received my printed copy of the Color Archives from Lulu.com and I am very pleased with it! I had them make a 300+ page full color coil bound book in full color with color covers. It included the Color Archive, all of Kim's other tutorials and one additional 50+ page tutorial on silver glass by another glass artist. The price was right around $70.00.
I had a coupon for 25% off so that brought the price down to $52.50. If I had printed only the Color Archives it would have cost around $25.00.

I love the layout of the Color Archive on paper. I feel that the quality of the photos is good and I'm pleased with my printed copy.

Old 2011-01-10, 2:43pm

That is good to know MaryBeth!
Old 2011-01-11, 8:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
I just wanted to say that I just received my printed copy of the Color Archives from Lulu.com and I am very pleased with it! I had them make a 300+ page full color coil bound book in full color with color covers. It included the Color Archive, all of Kim's other tutorials and one additional 50+ page tutorial on silver glass by another glass artist. The price was right around $70.00.
I had a coupon for 25% off so that brought the price down to $52.50. If I had printed only the Color Archives it would have cost around $25.00.

I love the layout of the Color Archive on paper. I feel that the quality of the photos is good and I'm pleased with my printed copy.
Thanks, Mary Beth! Can I ask which paper you selected for the inner pages of your Lulu book and what you think of the paper as far as quality?

Old 2011-01-11, 10:07am
novembersfyre everywhere

I used the standard paper that they have for paperback books which is:
white interior paper (80# weight).

I feel that the quality is pretty good. It seems to be heavier and smoother than the type of paper that you would use to print at home. I would describe the finish as slightly glossy.

Old 2011-01-11, 12:29pm
Bead Obsessed

I just stumbled onto this thread today. I bought the archive as soon as it was available and LOVE IT! I did print it out on regular copy paper and put it in a 3 ring binder for use in my studio. I also looked into having it printed like a book on glossy paper and the price was a bit much. I would really be interested in a higher res file and the ability to print at a lower price than staples quoted. The higher res file is very exciting! The pics are beautiful eye candy for sure! Thanks Kim!

Old 2011-01-11, 3:27pm

Thanks, Mary Beth. I'm feeling better about Lulu for the printed version all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELSEY View Post
I just stumbled onto this thread today. I bought the archive as soon as it was available and LOVE IT! I did print it out on regular copy paper and put it in a 3 ring binder for use in my studio. I also looked into having it printed like a book on glossy paper and the price was a bit much. I would really be interested in a higher res file and the ability to print at a lower price than staples quoted. The higher res file is very exciting! The pics are beautiful eye candy for sure! Thanks Kim!
I really think you'll be able to do a LOT better than what Staples quoted you. That was just insane!

Everyone who has bought the standard version will get a notification by email when the high-res version is available.

Old 2011-01-11, 3:38pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Oh, thanks Kim! I can't wait cos I want to print it ,too. but I will.
Quote:
Thanks, Mary Beth. I'm feeling better about Lulu for the printed version all the time.

I really think you'll be able to do a LOT better than what Staples quoted you. That was just insane!

Everyone who has bought the standard version will get a notification by email when the high-res version is available.

Old 2011-01-11, 4:55pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Cant wait for the high res. version!!! I love the tutorial, but maybe I will finally get all my favorite tutorials into one book...
Old 2011-01-14, 6:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
I got it made into a hard cover book. That way I can tote it with me everywhere.
Who did you have turn it into a Hardcover book? I would like to do this tooo when I buy it which I hope is 1st of next month.

Never mind I just went through whole thread and found the answer!

Last edited by ironmountainglass; 2011-01-14 at 6:16am.
Old 2011-01-14, 8:35pm
Fancies

Kim, I've only had your archive for a day, but what a day! I've ogled and played and changed a few things and had great fun. I am viewing the archive on my ipad and everything looks great - but there are definitely a few favorite pages I want to print. A high res copy would be great for that. I loved your comment at the end revisit and explore the glass we have stashed and have forgotten about! Thank you for all the effort that went into this endeavor.

Old 2011-01-21, 11:55am

Thanks so much, Fran -- I'm really glad you're enjoying it!

Just wanted to update everyone on what's going on with the high-res/printed versions of the Color Archive since I've been MIA for the past week researching printers.

I'm holding off on the high-res PDF at least temporarily, because I've decided to go ahead with a professionally printed version of the book and I don't want anyone to go to the expense of printing the high-res PDF when professionally printed copies of the book are going to be available that will be much nicer and also end up costing less than you would spend on toner and paper to print them at home.

I just received a test print of the book from Lulu.com and while I'm very happy with the overall print and binding quality, the high cost per book on Lulu is still a sticking point for me. I believe that with a little more work on my part, I can find the same quality elsewhere for a much lower price per copy, and that's where I am now. I'm ordering proofs from a few other printers to see how their quality compares, and after all the proofs are in, I'll decide which printer to go with.

Once I have the printed book available, anyone who has already bought the Color Archive in PDF format will be entitled to purchase a printed copy of the book at my cost. The cost for a Lulu version would be $35.90 plus shipping. I'm hoping I can get the per-copy price down significantly from that by using a different printer, so everything basically depends on the quality of the test prints I get back from the other printers I'm considering.

I will keep you all posted...I appreciate your enthusiasm and patience, and I expect to have solid information for you very soon!

Old 2011-01-21, 2:11pm
Queen Bee

Quote:
Absolutely. The high-res version is going to be a separate, optional download that will be available in addition to the current version, not instead of it. (The high res file is 300 MB and not everyone is going to want to bother with it.) As long as you've purchased the Archive you'll be able to download the additional high-res version at any time.
Well, shoot, that's a real bummer. I was waiting for the high res version so I could print it page by page as I wanted to use it. Total cost of $95.90 sure is a big chunk to swallow for me, and not something I'm able/willing to do. Wondering what made you decide to go that route? Are you printing the current version, and if so, won't it be like the ones people have already printed? With a high res version, one can print it as little as one page at a time, which is way more affordable. I thought the high res option was a given, based on your post above? I'm quite dissapointed -

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2011-01-21, 3:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
Well, shoot, that's a real bummer. I was waiting for the high res version so I could print it page by page as I wanted to use it. Total cost of $95.90 sure is a big chunk to swallow for me, and not something I'm able/willing to do. Wondering what made you decide to go that route? Are you printing the current version, and if so, won't it be like the ones people have already printed? With a high res version, one can print it as little as one page at a time, which is way more affordable. I thought the high res option was a given, based on your post above? I'm quite dissapointed -
Donna,

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. There will still be a high-res version available for those who want it. I just won't be releasing it until the printed version of the book is also available. I don't want people to go to a lot of trouble and expense downloading the 300MB high-res version and printing it out, and then a few weeks later come out with a professionally printed version that everyone can purchase for less than the expense of the toner and photo paper they used to print the high-res version. What I gathered from the previous comments in this thread was that most people interested in a high-res PDF were interested in printing out the whole book, and that most would prefer a professionally printed version if that could be had for less than the cost of printing it out in color at home. There will still be a higher-res PDF available for those who want to make home printouts.

That being said, now I don't feel sure of anything anymore. Am I overthinking this? Are you guys interested in a professionally printed version, or not?

I feel vewwwwy confused.

Old 2011-01-21, 3:39pm

In my opinion, you are never going to be able to please all of us. You having shared years of experience with color is what we purchased and it is more than good enough for me. I would download a hi-resolution version and print out the specific pages I was interested in as needed, but would be perfectly happy if you did nothing more. Since I have already printed a copy, I would not purchase a book version. I feel that my printed copy is more than adequate. The material itself is worth it's weight in gold!
Old 2011-01-21, 5:31pm
Queen Bee

Awesome - I'm so glad there will be a high res still in the future. I was confused and thought you weren't doing it at all. It's true you'll never make everyone happy, for sure You could always add a poll to the thread and see where it shakes out - and although a high res would be great, I still love the one I have!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2011-01-21, 10:19pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Yes, yes, yes!
Quote:

That being said, now I don't feel sure of anything anymore. Am I overthinking this? Are you guys interested in a professionally printed version, or not?

I feel vewwwwy confused.

Old 2011-01-22, 9:40am

Thank you, ladies. Hopefully more of the folks who were involved in this thread will show up and post a yea or nay on the printed version, as I'd rather not go to the time and expense of having this printed unless I'm sure that there is an interest...lord knows I have enough junk in my closets as it is; I sure don't need cartons of books gathering dust in there, too!

Old 2011-01-22, 10:39am
Biscuit Lover

Kim, I don't think the books would be staying in your closets for very long
I'd love one, myself... Printing out things one page at a time would not be for me.

Quote:
Thank you, ladies. Hopefully more of the folks who were involved in this thread will show up and post a yea or nay on the printed version, as I'd rather not go to the time and expense of having this printed unless I'm sure that there is an interest...lord knows I have enough junk in my closets as it is; I sure don't need cartons of books gathering dust in there, too!
Old 2011-01-22, 11:05am
Bead Obsessed

Oh yes indeedy! A printed book would be awesome!

Old 2011-01-22, 12:27pm
Fancies

I would buy the printed book .

Old 2011-01-22, 5:52pm

I'm definitely looking forward to the high definition PDF - thanks Kim!
Old 2011-01-22, 6:34pm
Life is change. Love it

I don't need a high res or a printed version, I'm quite happy looking at it on my computer and iPad. I used to print out all my tuts, but have stopped doing that recently, I think it's a waste of paper for me.

Old 2011-01-22, 6:37pm
Steph

It's a fantastic archive, thanks Kim. But I personally would not want to purchase a book too! I would be more than happy with a high res version that I could download and print off myself.

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2011-01-23, 7:03am
formerly Marella

I love my Glass Archive too, what an inspiration!!

I'm also very happy looking at it on my laptop....very satisfied with it the way it is. I'm trying to go more and more "paperless" too.

~
~
~
Old 2011-01-23, 7:29am

I too have purchased Kim's tutorials and I have to say that this latest is my favourite. it was worth every penny and far less expensive than taking a class. Every time I look at it I'm learning something new. I look at it as classes for the next year. What a bargain! I'm totally happy, happy, happy!
Old 2011-01-23, 7:45am
and bewitched by hotglass

I would buy the book Kim!!
Old 2011-01-23, 8:33am
Master Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcbeader View Post
In my opinion, you are never going to be able to please all of us. You having shared years of experience with color is what we purchased and it is more than good enough for me. I would download a hi-resolution version and print out the specific pages I was interested in as needed, but would be perfectly happy if you did nothing more. Since I have already printed a copy, I would not purchase a book version. I feel that my printed copy is more than adequate. The material itself is worth it's weight in gold!
Couldn't agree more.