Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-07-13, 12:22pm
Boro newb

Default 1st cracked beads... what happened?

Okay, I don't know what I did wrong. I made these beads with a small base of Egyptian White, then Triple Passion, a few dots of GA Mint, then encased in clear. Everyone single one cracked.

Any clue what may have gone haywire? Do some of these colors not play nice together?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom's silver store...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Anything you can do I can do... kinda.
Old 2007-07-13, 12:33pm
William Hagy

Pics?

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2007-07-13, 12:51pm
Boro newb

Here's one of them.

Mom's silver store...

Old 2007-07-13, 12:54pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I think ( but it's a wild guess) that the beadrelease underneath your bead cracked and that the glass touched the mandrell. I've had this happen and by the looks of your mandrel this is what might have happened.

If not it could be the mint, I've heard that greens are difficult sometimes

Old 2007-07-13, 12:55pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

that is a beautiful bead too!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-07-13, 12:58pm
Boro newb

LOL! The release is just from me trying to take the bead off the mandrel The rest weren't like that.

Darn greens...

Thank you so much.

Mom's silver store...

Old 2007-07-13, 12:59pm
Boro newb

OMG! Thank you Squid!!!!

Mom's silver store...

Old 2007-07-13, 1:02pm
William Hagy

Is the crack internal or external? it appears that it is cracked near the color and cannot be felt by running your nail across it...... internal stress is a result of working to long on the surface (or shaping) allowing to core to cool off too quickly or too much. how large are they and are you doing just one per mandrel or several? Do you batch anneal or put them right into the kiln?

Old 2007-07-13, 1:15pm
Megra Farbot

I had this problem with some beads that had a base of EWS. I was told that if you lay down a footprint of clear first, they won't crack, and I haven't had any problems since.
Old 2007-07-13, 1:15pm
Boro newb

Wow... lots of questions

Okay, I'm a glutton for punishment, so after I made 2 per mandrel and they cracked I tried one per mandrel. All cracked. Sizes varied from 12mm up to an inch.

And usually I batch anneal. I think even if they'd gone straight to kiln there still would have been losses. Two cracked while I worked one next to it.

When I run my nail across the crack I can't feel it, but they certainly fall apart when I take them off the mandrel.

Mom's silver store...

Old 2007-07-13, 1:16pm
Boro newb

Thank you Darcy! I'll try that!

Mom's silver store...

Old 2007-07-13, 1:17pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

hmmm.. I'm not too experienced with boro, but that almost sounds like a thermal crack - are they breaking in half? I would expect an incompatibility crack to be close to the color that is the culprit.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-07-13, 1:20pm
William Hagy

the stress is in the core...try keeping the base hotter (nice orange glow) when you encase when finished flame polish in the outer region of a large bushy flame.
If you batch anneal then make certain the bead is not glowing before you put it vermiculite.

if all that doesn't work for ya ~try making a tiny flat barrel of clear before you work on the colors and see what happens

Old 2007-07-13, 1:24pm
Boro newb

Thank you so much! I loved this color combination... watching them all crack made me want to cry. Have to try it again.

Mom's silver store...

Old 2007-07-13, 1:26pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

they're so pretty it almost makes ME want to cry - I can only imagine how you must feel!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-07-13, 1:40pm
ManBearPig

Egyptian White Sand does that when it's touching the mandrel for some reason. Try just putting down a thin layer of clear, then the EWS. That usually does the trick.

If the green would have caused the crack, it would have been more of a spiderweb crack around the green itself. And, Mint usually doesn't do it. It's usually only the "green" greens. The ones that have blue in them usually are fine.

Last edited by Cosmo; 2007-07-13 at 1:55pm.
Old 2007-07-13, 1:41pm
yukue fumei

Awww..bumble beads...I am so sorry your beads cracked....it's beautiful!!!

Using a clear base is an awesome idea. Sometimes also when you don't fully encase(let a little bit of the base peek out from the clear on the ends) it helps let the stress out in beads for some reason....
Encasing greens(and sparklies) is tricky....they need lots of O2 and even then they can crack....Forest Green is a nice green that can be encased(I learned that from Patrice--thanks Patrice!!)
good luck and I hope your beads stay crack-free

nagi

Old 2007-07-13, 1:52pm
The Venerable Bead

yes yes white should never touch the mandrel

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-07-13, 7:02pm
Boro newb

Thanks so much everyone! I'll give it another go on Monday. I'm just kicking myself on this one.

And thanks for the compliments! I just started making boro beads seriously 3 weeks ago and when I see other people's stuff I wonder what the heck I think I'm doing... compliments are encouraging LOL!

Mom's silver store...

Old 2007-07-13, 9:29pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I vote thermal cracks - that's what it looks like.

And/or the green curse - Any time I encase a green
I get cracking. Greens are SUCH a Beatch.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-07-13, 9:55pm

Beautiful beads! Sorry they cracked, but glad I read the thread so I know not to use white against the mandrel! Thanks!!!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2007-07-13, 11:12pm
Boro newb

Thank you

Like I said, glutton for punishment... we'll see what happens Monday. Unless, of course, hubby doesn't notice me slip away to the workshop this weekend

I just need a big thread of "don't do this" information.

Mom's silver store...

Old 2007-07-14, 5:37am
Macaw Mamma

Gorgeous Bead.... I don't have a clue what happened, but I just learned alot!!!

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2007-07-14, 9:50am
William Hagy

~well I have worked with the E.W and made a ton of spacers and mixed colors with no problems......so I think it can be touching the mandrel

~the problem may be in the initial preheating of the mandrel??

Old 2007-07-14, 12:26pm
Boro newb

"~the problem may be in the initial preheating of the mandrel??"

Whatchu talkin bout, Willis? Er... William.

They seemed to have skipped that part on the Boro Bead Magic DVD. Is there a certain way I'm supposed to do that?

Mom's silver store...

Old 2007-07-15, 2:25pm
William Hagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble_beads View Post
"~the problem may be in the initial preheating of the mandrel??"

Whatchu talkin bout, Willis? Er... William.

They seemed to have skipped that part on the Boro Bead Magic DVD. Is there a certain way I'm supposed to do that?
It is best to heat the mandrel to a quick flash of orange,then keep beneath the flame in or around (above) the extreme heating area.........there is a balance between too much and too little heat in the mandrel. ~too little heat bead crack from the core ~too much heat and the release will flake apart or the metal will be pitted,etc..

~Hope this helps ya my friend

~W~

Old 2007-09-01, 7:12pm

Did you ever get it figured out?
I am guessing that even if you put clear down before the white they are cracking because you are batch annealing. The COE's must be off just enough that they don't survive batch annealing.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-09-01, 11:46pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I agree with William, I've made a lot of beads using EWS and dap , encased in clear but none of them cracked. I must say that I am using a flame dry beadrelease wich needs to be glowing red in order to hold the glass when I am applying it to my mandrel, so you might be on the right track there.

Old 2007-09-02, 5:20am
Happy Beadmaker!

Default Interesting info!

Fairly new to boro, too and have had problems with EWS encased in TP cracking. Didn't realize I needed to lay down a layer of clear before EWS! Thanks!
Old 2007-09-02, 9:31am

Suzanne do you batch anneal also?

Heidi

~~
~~