No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-30, 10:37pm
And silence is golden

Default Glow powder and glass rods

Can someone please tell me who invented, or came up with the glow powder and glass that seems to be showing up on more and more lampwork supplies websites? I recently bought some of the powder for my son, and he would like to know if there is a website dedicated to these products.
Old 2010-07-30, 10:59pm
just another glass addict

It's probably Glow Glass. I've seen Joe on here. I think he's also Origin glass with the boro styx.

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-31, 7:34am

Joe Imler at Glow glass.

Robert
Old 2010-07-31, 10:30am
The Crazy One

Link

http://store.fastcommerce.com/GlowGlassLLC/home.html
Old 2010-08-01, 6:09am
No longer a Member

Ya'll rule.

Yep.....It was lil ole me.......started this research back in 1996.

<3
Old 2010-08-01, 6:41am

The shards on his site look really cool. It would help I think if you would show some examples of how the glow glass and shards look on beads.
Old 2010-08-01, 4:54pm
And silence is golden

Thanks for chiming in Joseph.
Old 2010-08-01, 6:13pm
No longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFraley51 View Post
The shards on his site look really cool. It would help I think if you would show some examples of how the glow glass and shards look on beads.

Will do!...Thanks for the input!...just got the burner re-mounted here in the new place.......Sent some (glow shards) off to some wonderful ladies who are busy with The Gathering at the moment......If their pics don't pop up in the near future.......I'll make some and take pics for you soon.....
Old 2010-08-01, 6:15pm
No longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Thanks for chiming in Joseph.
Anytime! I chat with "sonny" from time to time on FB......awesome Kiddo you've got there! Way to encourage the next generation of lampers!!!!!!
Old 2010-08-01, 6:41pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I would have told you who makes it Aleta.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-08-01, 7:23pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Aleta this stuff is amazing- I am making a pair of ear gauges out of soft glass and this stuff mixed with cobalt blue. it is so cool cuz it will not change the color of the glass you are using. I had a set of crunch beads in the same style and when I showed my son and his friends they were like can you make me........ well the first one to speak is getting ear gauges Thank you so much Joe for such and awesome product!!!

Old 2010-08-02, 3:25pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow Joe View Post
Ya'll rule.

Yep.....It was lil ole me.......started this research back in 1996.

<3
Then it is probably little old you I bought some powder from years and years ago. Is the powder the same no matter what COE is used? Or, do you have one formulation for 33 and an other for 104, etc.?
Old 2010-08-02, 3:33pm
No longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
Then it is probably little old you I bought some powder from years and years ago. Is the powder the same no matter what COE is used? Or, do you have one formulation for 33 and an other for 104, etc.?
binkster....yep yep!...the Glow Glass Powders are an oddity in our glass family.
(kinda like me....)
They are compatible with any and all coe glass from quartz to that SUPER soft stuff that Malcolm sells.......

I've heard of some SHADY distribs in the past "double charging"......ie......you call XXXXX and say "I need Glow Glass Powder for 104 and 33".......and get sent two different bags....with the EXACT same material......only thing different is the label...

REST ASSURED.....my Glow Glass Powders work in any glass you choose to play with. (so...only buy 1 bag of Aqua for that multi coe project..... )

<3
Old 2010-08-02, 3:37pm
No longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
Aleta this stuff is amazing- I am making a pair of ear gauges out of soft glass and this stuff mixed with cobalt blue. it is so cool cuz it will not change the color of the glass you are using. I had a set of crunch beads in the same style and when I showed my son and his friends they were like can you make me........ well the first one to speak is getting ear gauges Thank you so much Joe for such and awesome product!!!
THANK YOU!!!!! and you are so welcome....

I love making it and seeing everything ya'll do with it!!!!

MORE PICS PLEASE!!!!!
Old 2010-08-02, 4:18pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow Joe View Post
binkster....yep yep!...the Glow Glass Powders are an oddity in our glass family.
(kinda like me....)
They are compatible with any and all coe glass from quartz to that SUPER soft stuff that Malcolm sells.......

I've heard of some SHADY distribs in the past "double charging"......ie......you call XXXXX and say "I need Glow Glass Powder for 104 and 33".......and get sent two different bags....with the EXACT same material......only thing different is the label...

REST ASSURED.....my Glow Glass Powders work in any glass you choose to play with. (so...only buy 1 bag of Aqua for that multi coe project..... )

<3
Yay!

I remember playing with it when I was working boro back in '03, I believe.

I'm going to go get it back out and play some more!

I have some of that super soft glass from Malcolm, too, so that's good to know that I can use the same powder if I decide to make some glow-in-the-dark tonbo dama flowers! Wouldn't that be cool?!
Old 2010-08-02, 6:17pm
No longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
Yay!

I remember playing with it when I was working boro back in '03, I believe.

I'm going to go get it back out and play some more!

I have some of that super soft glass from Malcolm, too, so that's good to know that I can use the same powder if I decide to make some glow-in-the-dark tonbo dama flowers! Wouldn't that be cool?!
Now You're talking!!!!! Even cooler when you show us pics!!!!!!!
Old 2010-08-02, 7:02pm
And silence is golden

Ok kids. Any chance that you might want to show your item with the glow powder used in it?
Old 2010-08-02, 7:05pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
I would have told you who makes it Aleta.
I should have gotten some for me when I ordered. It immediately went into my son's care package. Thank you for having it when I placed my order for the other items.
Old 2010-08-03, 6:47am

These were done with Bullseye a couple of years ago.

This was done with either Effetre or Vetro

Think I need to pull out my glow powder again and play some more

Old 2010-08-03, 11:28am
No longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalflipz View Post
These were done with Bullseye a couple of years ago.

This was done with either Effetre or Vetro

Think I need to pull out my glow powder again and play some more
GORGEOUS!!!!!!!
Old 2010-08-04, 12:28pm

Glow powder needs to be my next splurge!
Old 2010-08-04, 2:40pm
Administrator

Keep this thread civil.

Thank you

Also, just an FYI.. Brent does not have any abilities to view, edit, or delete anything other than a regular member. He has not for quite awhile now and has no say over the site, content, editing, or any part of the administrative aspects of LE. He is a member like the rest of you

Old 2010-08-04, 3:26pm
boro color bender

Thanks for clearing that up Miss Corri... I wonder how long until people actually believe it. I hope you're well and thanks for running the site for us.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-08-04, 3:31pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
Thanks for clearing that up Miss Corri... I wonder how long until people actually believe it. I hope you're well and thanks for running the site for us.
Sorry I had to bring you into it at all, but it was being presumed and was trying to clear your name.

Old 2010-08-04, 3:40pm
boro color bender

I appreciate it...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-08-06, 8:46am
And silence is golden

CAROL!! Those beads are fabulous! Can you tell me which of the Glow Powder colors you used?
Old 2010-08-06, 3:21pm
I need more boro stuff

So how exactly to use the powder? Dip a clear and pull it as stringers?

Old 2010-08-06, 4:07pm
And silence is golden

I'm thinking this is how it is done. Pretty sure if you go to his website, the instructions will be there.
Old 2010-08-06, 6:17pm

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure both were done with the aqua powder, it keeps the glow the longest.
Here's how I do my stringers.
Take a rod of whatever color you want to use and heat the tip until it forms into a glowing, pea-size ball
Roll just the glowing ball in the glow powder.
Starting JUST BELOW the end of the glow powder on your rod, take another rod and begin wrap-encasing the glass/glow powder, wrapping upwards towards the top of the rod until the powder is totally encased. You have to start below where the glow powder is stuck to the glass as your encasing glass will not stick to the glow powder itself.
Reheat the end of the rod to smooth out the encasing
Roll in glow powder and encase 2-3 more times so you have a blob of glass that contains 3-4 layers of glow powder
After your final layer of encasing, heat everything through and pull into stringer.
This method will result in a stringer with a pretty consistent amount of glow powder through the whole stringer.

Old 2010-08-06, 6:50pm
And silence is golden

Thank you so much Carol!