No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-27, 1:17pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

Default A hot pink that doesn't reduce?

Hey ya'll, I am in search of a hot fuchsia pink in 104 that will not turn black when reduced. It can be transparent or opaque. I can make either work for me.

I am eying CIM Cranberry pink. Will this work, anyone know. Or any other color you can think of.

I only have rubino in my stash right now and we know that won't work. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2009-06-27, 1:37pm
Striking-impared...

I just tried the Devardi dark rose, which is similar in color to rubino (although maybe a bit lighter). Didn't have a problem working it in the flame, and it didn't reduce on me.

I'll have to see what it looks like when it comes out of the kiln, though. But at least I was encouraged with the dark rose, since I can practically reduce rubino just by looking at it, LOL!

Old 2009-06-27, 1:45pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

Hi Gail, I never even heard of Devardi glass before. Where have I been? Thanks for the tip. I need to intentionally reduce because I am using it with Psyche.

Anyone tried the dark rose in a reduction flame?

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2009-06-27, 1:49pm
Striking-impared...

I'm done playing for the day, but I'll see if I can get to the torch tomorrow and work it with Aura then reduce. Never can tell what will happen.

Old 2009-06-27, 2:00pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

Thanks Gail!

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2009-06-27, 2:23pm
It's all about the color.

Yes, CiM's Cranberry will reduce. It's one of the few colors in that line that does. Is there any way you can encase the pink before/during application to prevent reduction?

I've read where some are having problems with compatibility with the Devardi. I have a few of the Devardi shorts, but not the Rose color, else I'd test for you.

Here is their website
http://www.devardiglass.com/

You'll find a few threads on their glass here on LE, and I'll let you read them and form your own opinion.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/se...archid=3723771

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Last edited by Listenup; 2009-06-27 at 2:33pm.
Old 2009-06-27, 3:23pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin'gal View Post
Hi Gail, I never even heard of Devardi glass before. Where have I been? Thanks for the tip. I need to intentionally reduce because I am using it with Psyche.

Anyone tried the dark rose in a reduction flame?
Devardi doesn't play nicely with the silver glass. Could you encase Rubino with clear to avoid reducing it?

Old 2009-06-27, 3:38pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

humm, okay. Thanks ladies. I was trying to avoid the encasing, but I can probably make it work. I haven't been playing with 104 much for the last couple of years so I was kinda hoping something new on the market would do the trick.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2009-06-27, 5:42pm
Lampworkaholic!

Reichenbach Raspberry Opal (pastel). It comes in 104 and 96 COE. The more oxygen the brighter the color but it doesn't reduce. I prefer the 96 but the difference isn't huge. I'll snap a photo and post it later. For a trans pink I would have said Reichenbach 104 Pink Lady, but the batch I just got is much paler than the orginal deep fuschsia. I'm very disappointed in the R-104 line, the orginal Silver Brown was so nice I ordered another 1/2 kilo and the new batch is pale and blah. I have some Lauscha trans. pink that is just beautiful but I'm not seeing it for sale anywhere right now. Now if you can work with Bullseye, they have the most beautiful transparent fuchsia pinks.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-06-27, 8:53pm

Lauscha Pinks don't reduce! (They do fume really well though!)
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-06-27, 9:27pm
Lampworkaholic!

Here is the Raspberry Opal.

I'll post the Lauscha ones tomorrow.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-06-27, 9:36pm
Established Thinker I Am

I say try the Pink Lady. I don't know which batch I have, but here's a bead a made from some I got a little over a month ago. I tried hard to reduce it just to see what it would do and nothing came of it. I enjoy working with this pink!

l
l
l
Old 2009-06-28, 4:56am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Reichenbach Raspberry Opal (pastel). It comes in 104 and 96 COE. The more oxygen the brighter the color but it doesn't reduce. I prefer the 96 but the difference isn't huge. I'll snap a photo and post it later. For a trans pink I would have said Reichenbach 104 Pink Lady, but the batch I just got is much paler than the orginal deep fuschsia. I'm very disappointed in the R-104 line, the orginal Silver Brown was so nice I ordered another 1/2 kilo and the new batch is pale and blah. I have some Lauscha trans. pink that is just beautiful but I'm not seeing it for sale anywhere right now. Now if you can work with Bullseye, they have the most beautiful transparent fuchsia pinks.

My Raspberry Opal reduces to gold.
Old 2009-06-28, 8:00am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
My Raspberry Opal reduces to gold.
Interesting. Are you deliberately reducing it? Hitting with a heavy propane flame? Is it a pretty gold? I might have to try reducing it. I just work it neutral to very slightly oxygenated. I tend to work everything slightly oxygenated, and then if I want reduction I flash it through a reduction flame as the last step.

Old 2009-06-28, 8:03am
Lampworkaholic!

The top of your bead looks like the original batch. Treasure it. The new batch I have is a washed out version, more like a light amethyst.

What is the bottom made of? Mystic Pink? That is pretty too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taneres View Post
I say try the Pink Lady. I don't know which batch I have, but here's a bead a made from some I got a little over a month ago. I tried hard to reduce it just to see what it would do and nothing came of it. I enjoy working with this pink!

Old 2009-06-28, 1:09pm
Established Thinker I Am

Hmmmm, I guess I will cherish what I have!

I believe it is mystic pink, but I'd have to go look at my glass to be certain. All these new colors keep getting jumbled in my head.

Quote:
The top of your bead looks like the original batch. Treasure it. The new batch I have is a washed out version, more like a light amethyst.

What is the bottom made of? Mystic Pink? That is pretty too.

l
l
l
Old 2009-06-28, 1:21pm
Who me?

Quote:
Interesting. Are you deliberately reducing it? Hitting with a heavy propane flame? Is it a pretty gold? I might have to try reducing it. I just work it neutral to very slightly oxygenated. I tend to work everything slightly oxygenated, and then if I want reduction I flash it through a reduction flame as the last step.

Yes, I discovered it one day when I was
reducing some glass on the same bead.

It reduces to a pretty coppery gold color.

But the sad part is that the metallic
surface will rub off much easier than other
reduced surfaces.
Old 2009-06-28, 2:03pm

The Reichenbach Opal Raspberry devits sometimes on me. It is a pretty pink. I've never been able to reduce it though. The Pink lady is an awesome dark pink, mystic pink is shampooey and so is the pearl pink. The lt ruby gold a very nice pink but that will reduce.
I've got all of them in stock but only pics of beads on the mystic and the pearly pinks.

Old 2009-06-28, 8:49pm
Life is change. Love it

I love Pink Lady. I will have to buy a ton more of this batch if the next one is crap!

Old 2009-06-28, 9:06pm
Salt Box Beads

Take a peek at page 147 in Corina's passing the Flame.

White core
Encase with Rubino Oro
Encase that with clear

The best fucshia out there. You could maybe experiment with different core colors too.

Lorraine
Old 2009-06-28, 9:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I love Pink Lady. I will have to buy a ton more of this batch if the next one is crap!
Carolyn,
I haven't noticed a difference in the batches I received. I'm lost somewhere but there hasn't been any color differences in the batches that have come up to now.
What did I miss?

Old 2009-06-28, 9:22pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

I solved my rubino problem with clear overlay, so it's all good. Thanks for everyone's input. It's always nice to know about the other pinks out here.

I'm gonna have to try some of the pink that reduces to golden. I bet that is lovely.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2009-06-28, 11:19pm

Good to hear you solved your rubino problem!

I was trying for pink *under* the silver glasses and used the Reichenbach Raspberry Opal. I found out that the pink changes to a very pretty peachy/apricoty colour, so I'm guessing the silver glass fumes it. Lovely even colour, though it wasn't what I was expecting

Marianne.
Old 2009-06-29, 12:37am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Rose, I have the lighter version of the pink lady... and it strikes to the same dark pink as the other ones. Are you sure pink lady is what you got, and have you tried striking it ? The longer I worked it, the darker it got.

btw I do agree on the silver brown stuff. I bought some when it first came out ( thank goodness I bought 5 lb) and I saw the lighter stuff at someone elses place, it didn't work half as nice as the dark stuff.