Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-02, 6:05am

Bethany, I know someone in this thread bought some but don't know if she has tried it yet. I am planning on getting some come the 15th when I put the rest of my order in (my tax refund came so I am going to put a hundred dollars toward glass lol).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-02, 6:56am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I am counting down the days until we can give them another landslide of orders too! I keep revising my list - anyone else have that problem?
Old 2011-04-02, 7:01am
StudioMarcy

I'm not sure what to put on my list, until I know just what colors they'll have. Is it written somewhere that I missed?

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-04-02, 7:04am
Hot Glass Neophyte

No, there's no posting. I read or was told that over half the colors were split off into a second shipment, or got held up somehow... and they will be posted the 15th.

SO I am counting on getting all my favorite basics if they come in, plus any that tickle my fancy!
Old 2011-04-02, 10:00am
Remember to keep smiling

I bought some Boro haven't tried it yet. I will try today we are expecting thunderstorms today and snow tomorrow.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-04-02, 1:48pm
Remember to keep smiling

I am sorry to say I was very disappointed in the Boro. Every color that I tried bubbled up and boiled very quickly even with my attempts at a lower temps and slower pace except for the clear. I gave up on the larger size bead and tried small spacer no avail. I had no problem with shockness at all with any of the clorors.

The clear melted nicely no problem with boiling, for a boro the clear seemed to melt as easily as soft 104 glass so much that I had to be very careful when I tried it as a punty, it very easily wanted to melt. I did make a bead with Northstar Boro Yellow and encased it with Devardi's clear it looks very nice going into the kiln will have to wait to see if there is going to be any compatibility issues.

Please understand I am no expert by any means. I can only give my opinion from my experience with Boro which is very limited.

I tried to get a close enough pic so that you can see the boiled areas, these attempts where with smaller size beads the poor shape bead is definitely my error......lol

Name:  040211boro 011.JPG
Views: 1178
Size:  62.3 KB
DB147 OP Deep Lapis, DB108 OP Lemon Yellow, DB165 OP Black, DB81 OP White, DB99 OP Orange, DB175 OP Lilly Pad Green, DB 95 OP Red, DB 93 OP Pink, DB1 Clear

SRA#P109
Old 2011-04-02, 1:51pm

That is disappointing. I did not get much, but when I get to play with it will let you know how I did.
Thanks!
Old 2011-04-02, 2:32pm
Remember to keep smiling

Bethany yes please let us know how it goes.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-04-02, 4:56pm
Oh my!

Here is something you need to know, almost all opaque boro boils. You need to work it cooler than you think. I haven't had any more trouble with Devardi boiling than I have had with the GA crayon colors. I have made some cute fish but my picture taking skills could use some major improvement. I will see what I can post. I may need some help with this.
Old 2011-04-02, 5:02pm

Tweeky, I thought I read that in the boro room, but was unsure and haven't had time to track it down. I know the boro that I have (haven't tried the crayon colors yet) doesn't boil even if I try hard lol. Its interesting it must be something to do with the amount of color in them then or something.

Old 2011-04-02, 5:45pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I hope someone will comment on the boro's temperature flexibility and usefulness in sculpture... I look forward to trying it for that at some point.
Old 2011-04-02, 5:49pm
Remember to keep smiling

Tweeky that's good to know. I also have not had any trouble with any boro that I have used boiling prior to Devardi's. I did try working Devardi's Boro cooler with little success, it could have possibly been still to hot for it. Thank you for the tip. I am not giving up on the Boro I am certainly going to play with it more any tips and suggestions I certainly am grateful for.

I am sure it is just a learning curve just like when Devardi first came out with there 104 some of there colors were temperamental but once you figured out what the glass needed it was a pleasure to work with.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-04-02, 5:56pm

I have the test beads in the kiln for the transparent golden orange, and the cobalt blue ones are done and off the mandrel but not cleaned yet. Sorry its taking so long, I do everything in batches as I have time. Going to be working extra next week as we have someone out on vacation all week.

Old 2011-04-03, 9:29am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I got to play a little last night, and took some pictures this morning. Here are some things I played with...

First off, Easter Eggs... it hit me that this type of raking of dots and the soft SOP colors could make some neat Easter Eggs... I may work up some eggs next time I get to sit at the torch...

and then since I love the SOP Greens, I used the same one to make a big hole bead, and encased it with Dichroic (encased in effetre clear). The vine is COE 96 frit and Devardi Army Green pulled into a twistie...

Finally, I love these Goldfish Aquarium Beads, and I got this type of necklace ribbon yesterday... the two seem to set each other off.

That's my show for the weekend. I'd love to see what you all have been up to.
Old 2011-04-04, 2:49am
Evil Glass Enabler

It's the cadmium in the crayon colors off gassing that's causing the boiling. It has to be worked very cool. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Tweeky, I thought I read that in the boro room, but was unsure and haven't had time to track it down. I know the boro that I have (haven't tried the crayon colors yet) doesn't boil even if I try hard lol. Its interesting it must be something to do with the amount of color in them then or something.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-04-04, 8:24am
FatherNDaughter Creations

Default Devardi Boro?? Compatability Issues??

Hello All...

This is my first Post here, I have spent alot of time here reading for hours on end. I got into lampworking as a little something special for me and my 14 yr old daughter to do together as her mother and I decided to divorce and she took it very hard. She is my pride and joy and is Extreamly artistic and I felt this would be something she would really love doing and it would help to take her mind off of things and give her a way to have a release... Needless to say we never leave the garage We have been playing with the coe 104 Devardi glass and it took a bit of adjusting to get used to some of the sockiness (but figured out that real fast and now very little issues) She is making all kinds of fun stuff (some beads but alot of trinkits) this is allowing her to learn to use the glass and manipulate the glass to do what she wants it to do. I have been very impressed with her progress...

Sorry for the yapping.. Its a bad habit..

Some of the stuff she is talking about now is involving creating animals, birds some larger stuff (prob 3-5 inch peices) so I am thinking Boro (Coe 33) is going to be best to work with for that. We have tired playing with the Coe 104 and on the larger peices its just harder to heat evenly to manipulate the glass into these larger shapes. My question is as there is no info on the devardi site but has anyone used the devardi boro mixing with any other COE 33 glass? I have some projects that I am working on and need to do some ordering and as with everyone, Money is tight and dont want to waste it if I dont have to...

Also, I have two torch setups. I have basic propane setup on cheap (Lowes Bought) Tourch head and I have a Propane/Oxy Setup. We have best luck heating and using the Devardi coe104 glass with the propane only setup but have a severe issue with it discoloring the glass. It turns the clear glass into a smok/black glass and it will blacken most of the colored glasses. I am assuming its just the cheap torch head and I need to buy one of the torch heads from Devardi? Using the propane/oxy works great and doesnt discolor but is way to hot and usually just overheart or shocks the glass into breakage. Advice Please??

Thanks in advance for the great reading here on the devardi thread... I have learnt alot and hope to get to upload some pics of me and my lil angels work..

Sincerely
Roger

Last edited by Newdodge4me; 2011-04-04 at 8:34am. Reason: Forgot something
Old 2011-04-04, 9:30am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hi Roger and welcome!

I would encourage you to get a Rod Warmer or a Ceramic Heater Stove as they are also called. You can get them by searching the web and Devardi offers them sometimes. They stop the shockiness and make such a difference.

The Hothead Torch or it's equivalent generic one can be run on a tank of propane, and you should not have any sooting in the clear. That's the setup I use and I have no problems like that.

The boro is brand new from Devardi so I don't think anyone has had time to mix it with other brands and do tests... we are just now waiting for people to use it for the first time. But from what the Devardi site has already said you should not mix it with other boros without first testing before you make things.

Please post pics of your work and let us know how you do!
Old 2011-04-04, 9:45am
sunscreen me baby

Anyone tried the copper black? I got some and tried it today. They say to use just propane if you are not on a hot head. Yah, well that just leaves it sooty so I tried reducing and burning off the soot by adding just the tiniest bit of O2 and after numerous attempts I stuck them in the kiln. Maybe something magical will happen, but I sure didn't see any copper.

~

Old 2011-04-04, 11:17am
StudioMarcy

Hey Suzy, I haven't had luck on propane-oxy torches with it either. Hopefully someone here knows a trick or two that doesn't include having to use the hothead.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-04-04, 11:29am

I am on a hot head and I can get the silvery black to strike with no trouble, but not the coppery black. I have tried everything I can think of, and nothing. I heated it up to a soupy hot, let it cool to almost no glow reheated and nothing. I worked it cool throughout and let it cool down and slowly heated it back up, nothing. I even worked it like normal and then tried to strike it nothing, reducing, nothing. So all that to say, How exactly are you supposed to hold your mouth to make it work? (LOL) OH! I also sent a sample to my Devardi technical advisor (thanks Audra!) and maybe she can post something.
Thanks in Advance
Bea
Old 2011-04-04, 2:44pm
sunscreen me baby

OK, am I losing my mind? I just went to the listing where I swore I read they told you to use propane only to get the copper. Now it says you can't get copper if you are on surface mix torch. ??? I wouldn't have bought the stuff if I had known that. I guess I bought myself some black. At least it isn't shocky.

~

Old 2011-04-04, 2:54pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Suzy, it is a really nice black - I think it's softer than the Intense Black to work with. I bought some a while back and used it for black too.
Old 2011-04-04, 2:58pm
sunscreen me baby

I know. I just feel duped. I'll get past it.

~

Old 2011-04-04, 3:05pm
Oh my!

Roger welcome! Right now, I think I am the only one seriously playing with the boro (maybe not) but I am picture impaired so I do not have pictures to share I have mixed my Devardi colors with my some clear that I already had and have not had any problems. In the kiln are some pieces I made today that mixed Devardi color with some Northstar color. I will let you know how that turns out. You are correct in thinking that boro will work better for sculpture than 104, and yes, it is a heat thing. I tried to use Devardi's 104 and could never quite get it to work for me (and I am sure that it is me because I used a variety of torches and a variety of fuels). It seems that I would burn it everytime. But the boro works for me
Old 2011-04-04, 3:32pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
OK, am I losing my mind? I just went to the listing where I swore I read they told you to use propane only to get the copper. Now it says you can't get copper if you are on surface mix torch. ??? I wouldn't have bought the stuff if I had known that. I guess I bought myself some black. At least it isn't shocky.
There are still notes there about getting the copper color if using a dual-fuel torch...

Quote:
HOLD THE PHONE EVERYONE!! NEW INFO ON THE COPPERY BLACK HAS JUST COME IN. A while ago I sent some samples out to a few people to see what they could do with it. Last night a very nice lady (Julie T) wrote to me and said she got the Coppery Black to work with a minor, using oxy/propane. She sent along instructions on what she did. Here is what she wrote:

Here's what I did;
Using a neutral flame.
Made a white base bead for testing purposes.
Applied raised dots on the entire base bead using Copper Black.
Partially melted the raised dots using the very tip of the neutral flame.
Once I was happy with the size of the raised dots, I cooled down the bead.
Turned my torch way down to a reduction flame. The white/yellow oxy flame was about an 1" long.
Strike the bead quickly (while spinning it and passing it) through the flame. Each time you do, let the bead cool down just a bit, then repeat several times.
I passed the bead directly above the yellow/white reduction flame.

MORE INFO FROM OUR FAITHFUL CUSTOMERS:
In regards to the "Metallic Golden Coppery Black". First you need a torch that you can adjust the O2/Propane mix. After several different failed attempts to bring out the copper, I finally got it! First Melt your glass with an oxygen/propane mix, and shape how you like. It seems to not melt in straight propane as well. Then turn your torch to propane only, close off O2, and turn flame down very low. Let bead cool until rich black, then place back in the bluest part of the propane flame somewhat close to the torch nozzle turning slowly and the copper comes right out instantly!! It was amazing how it popped out. I tried EVERYTHING and nothing else worked so I am very happy! If others are having trouble this may help. Thanks! Gina

If anyone else has success bringing out the coppery color using an oxy/propane setup, please send the info. A lot of people would be very grateful.

Old 2011-04-04, 3:53pm
sunscreen me baby

Oh thank you!
I will try it tomorrow.

~

Old 2011-04-05, 7:31am

my first butterflies and my first wire wraping got some golden coppery black from a great someone yesterday gonna tey to play with it tonight will post how i did tommrow

My Etsy
Old 2011-04-05, 8:39am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Audra, it's so neat to watch you blossom! Nice work.
Old 2011-04-05, 10:15am
sunscreen me baby

I gave the copper black another shot trying the methods described above. Nothing. I put that bead in every part of propane flame I could think of and nothing happened. Kind of bummed on that front. But, it is a nice black for my discs I make. It's a bit softer than others which means I can work faster. That makes me happy when I sit down to make 50 or so in a session.

~

Old 2011-04-05, 10:37am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I gave the copper black another shot trying the methods described above. Nothing. I put that bead in every part of propane flame I could think of and nothing happened. Kind of bummed on that front. But, it is a nice black for my discs I make. It's a bit softer than others which means I can work faster. That makes me happy when I sit down to make 50 or so in a session.
When you try to bring out the copper color, be sure not to let the bead have or get any glow to it.. If you do you will erase any copper color you may have gotten.. I simply let the bead get cool to no glow, roll it in the flame close to the blue part of the flame, take out, let cool a second, and roll again until you get the copper color to come out.. You must let the bead cool to no glow, or the copper will not come out.. Hope this helps.. I love the coppery color that you can get..

Big Hugs, We all need them...
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi