Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-14, 12:32pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp View Post
I just thought that I would share a project that I have been working on for the past few months. I made a bead with almost every glass rod color that I have. I still have the silver glasses to do, as well as my Bullseye glass rods.

As you can see, Devardi beads don't look any different than the rest of the manufactureres. I started with the Devardi glass when I first began making the beads for this project. I was a bit rusty from not making donut beads for quite some time, so one would expect some pretty wonky beads. On the contraire, I think they came out pretty good!

Holeee crap!!! I want your glass stash! To be able to make something like this, is just mind blowing! I wish one day I will be able to so this myself to the manufacturers that I use...
Old 2011-06-14, 12:36pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
I can remember when I got my first order of Devardi. I started right in with the colors that drew my immediated attention. AND OF COURSE, they were the shockiest ones! The pinks, ivories, salmon and transparent green. I didn't try any of the others until months later. Got brave and had very few problems with the other colors.
I remember my first days too, and wanting to bang my head on the wall as rod and after rod shattered, since I was trying to work to fast and without a Rod Warmer. AND I worked hot and caused blister or devit like all get out in some colors!

I am so glad we have developed the basic info for people (and us) to work with this glass!
Old 2011-06-14, 12:41pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Snail View Post
Kiln is literally right next to me, I have a magnetic door so I can use it as a rod warmer. That wasn't the problem, rods came out of the kiln nice and toasty and not broken or cracked. It was trying to introduce it to the flame. The amount of air pulled into these rods was visible. Long strings of air along the sides of the rods. I lost so much glass to shattering that it really isn't worth the lower cost.
Dear Mountain Snail, I hope you will be glad to know that the shattering is not from air in the rods, it's from the rod end not being hot enough to go right into the flame.

Air in the rods is not the issue if the rod is truly preheated in a Rod Warmer. Rod Warmers are about $35 and so worth it to be able to put the rod right into the flame. This is why you need a Rod Warmer. It reaches 900 degrees or so, and the end of your rod can go right in the flame. Anything less will take slow introducing to the higher flame until it can be moved in closer to the flame.

For example, here's a picture of a Hotdog-sized clear rod in my Rod Warmer that I am about to pull thick stringer from. Thick rods like this take longer to preheat, and you need to hold them sideways, not above the flame as you work, because reflected heat can cause cracking in the cooler middle of the rod (when it is held above the flame as you work with it). The lower price would not be worth it if you lose the glass to shattering, but as many of us have learned, with a Rod Warmer you don't lose rods as a rule. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-14 at 1:34pm.
Old 2011-06-14, 12:58pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
Holeee crap!!! I want your glass stash! To be able to make something like this, is just mind blowing! I wish one day I will be able to so this myself to the manufacturers that I use...
It seems like a lot of glass. However, it only covers an area of about 2' x 5'. I usually purchase by the 1/4 lb. of any color when I place my orders.

Here is a close-up of the Devardi. Keep in mind that it was my first time making donut beads after a lengthy hiatus. There are some that didn't come out very good. But like I said, I didn't do too bad.

I plan on making some wooden frames to store them in. I'll cut the brass rods down as well.

Dang....that's a fuzzy image.

Last edited by Shrimp; 2011-06-14 at 6:53pm.
Old 2011-06-14, 1:25pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Shrimp you are giving me the answer to my frustrated bead-need!

It would be easy to make a frame with holes drilled down both sides so you can easily slide the mandrels in and out to add or remove beads. GOSH thanks for a simple and elegant way to see and display sample beads!
Old 2011-06-14, 1:31pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Shrimp you are giving me the answer to my frustrated bead-need!

It would be easy to make a frame with holes drilled down both sides so you can easily slide the mandrels in and out to add or remove beads. GOSH thanks for a simple and elegant way to see and display sample beads!
I won't be drilling holes completely through the sides of the framework because I'm pretty clumsy. I'll drill a hole part way through one side of the frame, and then on the other side, maybe a slat that would be sawn, and then plug part of it so that the rod won't slide out of the side.

Last edited by Shrimp; 2011-06-14 at 6:32pm.
Old 2011-06-14, 1:35pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
I won't be drilling holes completely through the sides of the framwork because I'm pretty clumsy. I'll drill a hole part way though one side of the frame, and then on the other side, maybe a slat that would be sawn, and then plug part of it so that the rod won't slide out of the side.
That sounds complicated but classy! Please post a pic if you make one up. I am so glad you posted your samples on the mandrels!
Old 2011-06-14, 3:12pm
Remember to keep smiling

Shrimp what a clever idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-14, 6:05pm
StudioMarcy

Very cool. And if you want to see more bead holder ideas, just search on Etsy.com for "bead displays".

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-14, 6:30pm
And silence is golden

Thank you for the compliments. These are just going to be trays that will eventually slide into brackets under the studio workshop countertop by the glass storage area.
Old 2011-06-14, 6:55pm

So what do you do about all the little rocks and multiple cracks in the glass? I don't want to bash something you guys obviously love, but it just isn't for me.
Old 2011-06-14, 7:07pm
And silence is golden

I have not had the misfortune off running into any 'rocks' in any of my rods. However, I do have some rods that are quite bubbly. Some to the point that I would consider them a good replacement for 'baking soda beads'! As far as cracks in the rods, I'm not sure what those would be, as I don't seem to have any 'cracks'. Just bubble lines up the center of the rods. These sometimes work their way out. It's not like you are paying an exorbant amount of money like you would if you were buying Diamond Clear and getting the same results. At least with the bubbly rods of Devardi, they don't crack up, down the road, like Diamond Clear did. They just have that bubbly bead look that people try to get with baking soda.
Old 2011-06-14, 7:20pm

Interesting. I truly have cracks. Maybe I am just a glass snob. I grew up watching my mom make beautiful custom stained glass windows and watched her reject glass that didn't meet her standards. It is obviously genetic.
Old 2011-06-14, 7:20pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
So what do you do about all the little rocks and multiple cracks in the glass? I don't want to bash something you guys obviously love, but it just isn't for me.
I would encourage you to post your Devardi glass for sale and stop the endless complaints. You have made it clear it isn't for you.
Old 2011-06-14, 7:26pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Interesting. I truly have cracks. Maybe I am just a glass snob. I grew up watching my mom make beautiful custom stained glass windows and watched her reject glass that didn't meet her standards. It is obviously genetic.
Perhaps you could show us a close up of all of these rods that have the cracks in them. I'm thinking that this needs to be addressed with the vendor that packed them for you. I'm still mistified over the 'rocks' in the glass. Got pics of those as well?
Old 2011-06-14, 7:40pm

Hey, I deleted my original opinion on this glass and was encouraged to speak my mind. I am sorry we don't share the same opinion, but I don't think telling me to stop the "endless complaints" is very fair. You have made it clear you love the glass and I haven't asked you to stop your opinion. I should have just kept my mouth shut I guess. Wow.
Old 2011-06-14, 7:43pm

Shrimp, if you really want pictures of the rocks and cracks I will try and get some good closeups. What I am calling rocks, are dark chunks of something. Not sure what else it could be, maybe minerals used for coloring that didn't get mixed in? No idea. I don't make glass, I just like to play with it. LOL
Old 2011-06-14, 9:31pm

So awesome! Devardi gets an A+ from me in customer service. I contacted them and they will let me return all of the glass! Since the stood behind their product, I will DEFINITELY go to them for tools and frit again.
Old 2011-06-14, 9:48pm

Quote:
Shrimp, if you really want pictures of the rocks and cracks I will try and get some good closeups. What I am calling rocks, are dark chunks of something. Not sure what else it could be, maybe minerals used for coloring that didn't get mixed in? No idea. I don't make glass, I just like to play with it. LOL
I too actually have what looks like rocks in one of my pink glasses from them. It's the newer opaque pink they have. But they just look like rocks, they are actually pieces of glass that did not melt when they were pulling the rods. You can cut them out or you can give it a really good oxygen rich flame I think and they will melt perfectly. I'm sorry you don't like the glass and I commend you for having your own opinion and voicing it. A lot of times I won't post my opinions because I don't want to stir up a pot I do love Devardj for their tools and frit as well as some of their glass and there customer service is the best around. Maybe when you have more experience with other types of glass you might like to try them again!!
Old 2011-06-15, 4:19am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Hey, I deleted my original opinion on this glass and was encouraged to speak my mind. I am sorry we don't share the same opinion, but I don't think telling me to stop the "endless complaints" is very fair. You have made it clear you love the glass and I haven't asked you to stop your opinion. I should have just kept my mouth shut I guess. Wow.
The endless and clever bashing comments are what are a drag, and bashing is way different than posting about a problem so that you can find help and use it to improve. And no one has a problem with problems being posted here - that is another bash that is not true.

If you have a need or a problem ANYONE here who uses this glass regularly would help you in a minute, as you have already found out. If you are struggling USING a color or making something work with Devardi glass anyone here would try to help you. So realize that it's the bashing that is the drag. It isn't done on any other Thread on LE like it is here. I get it that Devardi is really taking a share of the glass market, but that's called a Free Market, and it is a choice each buyer gets to make.

Lastly, concerning Customer Service, it doesn't surprise me that Natasha will take your glass back without a problem... that is the way these kind and devoted people are. They offer fabulous Customer Service and amazing low prices. The glass is not Saks Fifth Ave glass, it is Walmart level glass. That's the price you paid and I paid, and the bashing needs to stop unless it is your agenda.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-15 at 5:28am.
Old 2011-06-15, 4:44am
StudioMarcy

Enough, please.

So, I just got some presses in the mail. One is HUGE (I think 2") I'm going to try it this morning, if there is time. Anyone else trying something new this week?

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-15, 4:47am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I sure agree Marcy.

So to change the subject, I got 2 huge presses myself, bigger than I thought they would be. I need to play when time permits. Please post your results and I will too.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-15 at 4:53am.
Old 2011-06-15, 6:24am

Hi ladies..it says that I am a Senior Member.Well..since I just turned 61 this past Sunday,i believe I may be the Senior member of this little group Correct me if I am wrong.Devardi Glass came out in late 2009..I think.I became a member in 2010 and accidentally came across DV glass in early 2010.We really have not had years of working experience and testing the glass and I believe sometimes when we order we have a surprise now and then..just as we have with well established companies we also deal with since I know none of us use Devardi exclusively.It would not make sense to limit ourselves to one glass when Devardi cannot give us all COEs..all colors..silver glass galore..etc.I believe they never intended to do that and to see them branching out into new and fun tools,frits and many other glass using accessories is a great move for them and gives them more validity that they can compete with other companies and not hang their heads because some of their glass is difficult to have patience to work with.Again..other companies have those certain glasses that we have had problems with.
It would be foolish to think that Mountain Snail is covertly working for another company when she obviously praises some of the products.I do remember my very first Devardi order.I had been buying glass from many other companies but when I saw the DV colors and prices..I couldn't resist.This is when they had very limited glass accessories..a few tools but good video tutorials.I will admit that I was surprised by the wonkyness of the glass and ,forgive me Natasha cause I know you know I love you,I said to myself-practice glass and I was not that disappointed because I DID need practice!.I was using what I thought was a HH torch but later found out it was like a plumbers torch but with a head somewhere in size between a plumbers torch and a HH.Not a lot of heat.I did not have too much trouble with shockiness then.I had a butterscotch that melted like butter..some of the other colors would throw off a sliver now and then but I have severe RA in my hand and don't torch nearly as often as you all..probably 25 percent of the time as you torch.I have not progressed into a wonderful beadmaker and it is frustrating to me that I was not introduced to this craft when my hands were perfect because I have always perfected every other art or craft I have tried.
Lets cut to the chase.I bought my glass before I saw the tips and tecniques thread so I went back and read those first 30 or so pages.They dripped with hate,skeptism..verbal abuse and every other bad thing I can think of.it was horrible.If you are a new user of Devardi.I can't say it would be useful to get tips there but if you want to see bashing its a happening thread.
Mountain Snail..you had some bad glasses that you could not work with.You were willing to try the tips from others.They didn't work out for you and you admitted that you would probably not use the glass but were very happy with the other products you purchased and complimented the customer service.I believe you will be a Devardi customer in one fashion or another and you should be able to come here for tips on those products that you do purchase from them.I am not around as often as I was..last year was a hand surgery for me so my actual experience with DV glass is certainly limited because of that but the colors and the fact that when I buy,I buy in large quantities,makes me feel I can come here and if I have not said it before.I do have problems with cracking with certain colors.I believe I could hold up a rod of salmon in front of my face and just say "hot" and it would crack in half.I adore that color but for the life of me..I can't work with it.Am I bashing by saying some colors and I don't get along?I don't think I am bashing at all.Give me some help here..I want to use that salmon and I want to use some pinks that crack.I would never bash the company..There is a place in our economy for glasses of all prices.If you can afford and only want the most expensive..then by all means buy it.I started on Effetre and have ordered from Mike Frantz..I am not promoting anything.I go where the sales are.I go where the special color I want is..I always go where there is great customer service cause some places just plain stink that way.
Lets not start anything prematurely.Kristina..you and I were LE girls starting at the same time just about.I watched you grow from little critters to some really beautiful beads.I remember you liked Devardi because of its great sculpturabilities...wow..big word..lol..but I also saw a girl with a serious interest in questioning anything glass.You have gone way beyond me in talent but lets remember all the questions..all the failed tries and dusting ourselves off and licking our cuts and wounds.You are a very motivated person.I am not so motivated.If I can't get something to work after reasonable tries..then I move on to what I can do and gives me pleasure.So...if a few colors that crack and shatter do it a few times ..then I just won't use them and will go for the more workability ones..and Devardi has a lot of them.
Please..lets not go back to the old days.Daniel and Natasha don't need another row to put them back in the public forum of bashing when they have come so far and are still trying to get those cracking issues resolved.
If I have offended anyone here,I apologize.But I will still come and ask..as I have always done unless I am asked not to.
Have a good day all,
"

Old 2011-06-15, 7:00am

Well I didn't see it as bashing, nothing she said was untrue, and nothing she said isn't something that we all haven't experienced. She wasn't being mean about, she simply stated her opinion, to which we are of course, all entitled to. This glass isn't always for everyone, and there are colors I don't use. Not a lot of them lol but there are a couple. She was honest, she did give our suggestions a try and has simply decided its not for her. That's okay and I really don't want drive some one away who is willing to use the other products that Devardi offers, and really, she might one day try them again and decide that maybe it is worth it.

Old 2011-06-15, 7:31am

I guess I need to apologize about what i said about the beginnings of this thread.This thread was started to help with tips for Devardi glass.I had previously read a different thread about" What is Devardi glass?"
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=devardi+glass
That was the horrible one..I would avoid that when looking for tips and techniques.
"

Old 2011-06-15, 7:36am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you for the heartfelt write-up Diana. I sure agree with you. Anybody can ask anything in my view... we all want to help. I hope there's no misunderstanding on that. I went back and found my first Devardi Bear - and I'm showing it alongside my recent Astronaut Teddy, just to remind me of my beginnings with this neat glass... in August I will have been lampworking about 2 years... Hey, does anyone else want to post an early piece and a current one? That would be fun!

And I'm with you Sonja, I sure do hope Mountain Snail enjoys Devardi for whatever pleases her. I say let's enjoy and support each other, and make nice and pass on the rest.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-15 at 8:14am.
Old 2011-06-15, 8:05am
And silence is golden

So Mountain Snail, what colors are you returning? Any SOP Light Lime Green? Any Opaque Light Turquoise? I'll take them if you have any!!!
Old 2011-06-15, 8:26am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
The glass is not Saks Fifth Ave glass, it is Walmart level glass. That's the price you paid and I paid, and the bashing needs to stop unless it is your agenda.
Well folks, I beg to differ on the opinions of the pricing of this glass. I think that it is priced at a low to moderate level...yes. I don't consider it the finest of glass. However, after completing my bead comparison samples, I find this glass to have some remarkable colors and qualities similar to the other glass manufacturers. Some of them are even better. Far from Walmart!

The thing that sets them apart from the others is that they don't produce that evenly machine pulled rod. It is all hand pulled and this can be frustrating to the newer lampworker, as well as the more seasoned one. I would venture to say that a price increase would most likely come about should they invest in machines to do the pulling. This also will most likely change some of the appearance of the final product color.
Old 2011-06-15, 8:27am
Remember to keep smiling

Before I post in the GS - WTB does anyone have some peach, salmon are any type pastle color rose murrini for sale.....Yes I am murrini challenge

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-15, 8:30am
And silence is golden

I would love some too!

Tags
devardi