Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2008-02-11, 3:16pm
Glass Artist

Default Working on my website....

Hey Everybody, I'm working on my new website: http://caitlinhyde.com/Caitlin_Hyde/Home.html
using I web and am getting some weird question marks showing up where there should be apostrophes in the text. Any internet savvy advice for me? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-02-12, 10:01am

Default iweb

Hi Caitlyn,

I did my website in iweb as well. I had lots of help -- my brother is a mac instructor and consultant. I asked him and he thinks it might be because you're copying text into iweb -- try retyping it and editing it in iweb. Let me know how that works. by the way, your site looks great.

Terri

Old 2008-02-12, 7:10pm

Default one other thought

I had one other thought -- it might be the font you're using. Try using a different (standard) font and see if the question marks still show up....

Terri

Old 2008-02-17, 6:01pm
Glass Lover

We had something weird like that too a while back - can't recall the exact thing now....but it made changes in the text and so on that we didn't put there!

BUT - it turned out to be some scripting thing that was disallowed at the host end? They (hosting company) worked out what it was and made a change on their end and viola! Business as usual with no change on my end.

Worth checking into if you can't find the problem. Tell iWeb and see what they say.

Good luck!
Old 2008-02-22, 11:53pm
Fire Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofire View Post
Hi Caitlyn,

I did my website in iweb as well. I had lots of help -- my brother is a mac instructor and consultant. I asked him and he thinks it might be because you're copying text into iweb -- try retyping it and editing it in iweb. Let me know how that works. by the way, your site looks great.

Terri
Thanks for the tip! I had a similar but different problem with my website builder.
I couldn't copy and paste the text within the program so I put in in my text editor and copied it back from there. Worked perfectly!

Old 2008-02-23, 9:38am

Default wow

Holly,
your work is incredible and your website is really lovely. glad that little tip helped! I love the idea of a site that gathers all your creative strands in one place.

Terri

Old 2008-02-28, 1:53pm

Hi. Great job! Very simple and elegant.

You cannot copy and paste unless it's from a text only editor. You need to copy your text into NOTEPAD (always included with Windows under Accessories), before you paste ANYTHING into your site.

HTML is just an ascii language. You can write your entire website (images and all) in Windows Notepad, the text is real ascii text. No text editor is 'real' text, it's usually 'rich' text, or otherwise modified text. I used to build entire websites in Notepad in the 'old' days.