Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-28, 7:18pm
Mr. Cellophane

I think it is a great idea, I also think that there will be some good ones and some not so good, but then it would be our decision to choose which one we like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Libby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-07-28, 7:26pm
ID10T Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliedana1 View Post
I think it would be great to have an ongoing list of the tuts for sale , where could we start a list ? Maybe right here in tips ?
They already have their own room!

Tutorial Room

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2008-07-28, 7:33pm
Ghost Town Glass

I really like it. I have taken classes from two of the people with tutorials, but still wanted them. And they are so worth it!

I am sure there are techniques/price points that will sell better than others, and being able to pick and choose is fabulous.

Old 2008-07-28, 7:34pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirima View Post
...I just don't like it....MM
Aw, darlin! Change is TOUGH!!!

My kids didn't like it when I told them if they were going to continue to live with ME, it was time to start making a financial contribution to running the household they freely lived in for 18 blissful years! Still, considering the state of the economy, and the cost of taking a class, I think it's more than fair!

I support all those who are doing their tutorials for us, purchase or otherwise! I'm loving what's being offered right now!!!

DeAnne

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-28, 7:44pm
Goddess

I love seeing all the tutorials that are popping up. I think this is a great thing for students and teachers alike. I would not want to see this being abused, for example seeing tutorials being created for very basic things that have already been written about extensively, but I think this is a great way for teachers to share their knowledge and special techniques with the community, everyone wins, costs are kept low.

Several months ago, I noticed tutorials on Etsy for all kinds of things from wirework to knitting and I thought it would be a great thing for our community too.

Last edited by LavenderCreek; 2008-07-28 at 7:51pm.
Old 2008-07-28, 7:51pm
Mary Lockwood

I've always given away everything and anything for free. It was actually against my first instincts to make the jellyfish be for sale. I had originally intended just to give it away when I was ready, like the mandrel wound implosions and the frogs.

But, my husband is working two jobs. I'm working full time plus some and not filling the gap.

I had to do something. I've been without a car for 2 years and my kids are not being able to do the after school things they need to do because my husband now has the car twice as much. He can't take enough vacation time for me to go teach more than once per year.

So, while I do understand why you might not care for the information being for sale...I have to say that I care for it very much. It keeps me at home with my kids, keeps food on the table and still allows me to share what I know with my glassy peeps.

I LOVE to teach. I really do. But I can't get away often enough with 3 young kids.

So, this tutorial selling gig will fill a void that a lot of us have. It helps the students who are feeling the pinch and either can't travel or can't afford the class...and it helps the teacher who can't travel either for whatever reasons.

I think it is a win-win for everyone.

THAT being said, I will still share stuff for free. I don't think I'd be able NOT to. LOL

~~Mary

Last edited by Moth; 2008-07-28 at 7:52pm. Reason: add a missed word that made a whole sentence not make any sense at all
Old 2008-07-28, 8:02pm
Goddess

Exactly Mary, well said!

Old 2008-07-28, 8:02pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

Teresa Thank you! and Mary perfectly said..
xo!

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-28, 8:24pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
I'm confused. That's nothing new though...

So you're tickled about the tutorials now? Glad we could be of service. Man I wish some of my clients were that easy.

Old 2008-07-28, 8:48pm

I have bought two of the tutorials and I am happy the artists have shared them and also happy they can sell here and not go trough a middleman and pay big fees.
Marina, please continue to post! Your comment started a good thread.

Happy Glass Dreams
Marie Moore

Old 2008-07-28, 9:10pm

One issue I have about the tutorials is not seeing something a head of time. Now, if I buy a book (say Passing the Flame or some of Jim Kervin's booklets) I can flip through them and see the quality and know that I'm getting good informatio and that I want to buy it.

I know that the people here take good pictures and I know they pass on good information, but what if you don't know them and you get the tutorial and the pictures are bad and the instructions are confusing. You can refund an electronic transfer or return this type of item.

I would like to see maybe a couple steps shown on Etsy as an extra picture, so I know what type of quality I'm paying for.

There is one tutorial out there, I think you all may know of whom I speak, that is asking $100. I would 100% never pay that much for something I can't see. Sorry.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-07-28, 10:41pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
One issue I have about the tutorials is not seeing something a head of time. Now, if I buy a book (say Passing the Flame or some of Jim Kervin's booklets) I can flip through them and see the quality and know that I'm getting good informatio and that I want to buy it.

I know that the people here take good pictures and I know they pass on good information, but what if you don't know them and you get the tutorial and the pictures are bad and the instructions are confusing. You can refund an electronic transfer or return this type of item.

I would like to see maybe a couple steps shown on Etsy as an extra picture, so I know what type of quality I'm paying for.

There is one tutorial out there, I think you all may know of whom I speak, that is asking $100. I would 100% never pay that much for something I can't see. Sorry.
Lara~~~

I see what you're saying about having a "sneak peek", and I think the "preview" picture posted along with the cover on the Etsy page, for example, is a great suggestion. We've been lucky enough to have gotten to know and appreciate most of the people who have posted purchasable tuts through this forum and the many (droolworthy!) beads they've posted in the Gallery. I agree that someone who is either new to LE, new to lampworking, or both, may not necessarily be able to truly appreciate what they are getting for their money without having a chance to see a bit more about the artist and what they are offering in the pay-per-view tut.

As far as price is concerned, I think that each artist should ask whatever THEY feel is reasonable for their purchasable tutorial. We each have our own idea of what information is worth to us, and if we feel the information contained therein is worth whatever the asking price is, then we can decide if it's within our means or not, IMHO. I agree, though, that more "sneak peek" information and photos might encourage more interest - especially at this price!

Mary~~~

You have so much grace and eloquence; you (as many other's who've made purchasable tuts recently) have worked hard to get where you are, and have been so generous and supportive in giving tips, information, guidance and encouragement to so many throughout your lampworking journey...all I can say is !!!

Martina~~~

Please don't stop posting or feel worried about your English or the subject matter here; I think that some good tips, feedback and suggestions can come from your thread!

~DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-29, 2:49am
Goddess

I agree that it's a good idea to offer at least a taste of what one can expect within a tutorial. When I listed mine, I included the cover, a sample collage of goddesses I have made using the technique as well as 2 images from the tutorial in the size that they appear in the actual tutorial. My husband also made a 2 page sample .pdf which I could send to people who wanted to see a bit more. I never listed that sample .pdf but in future I will probably offer it within the listing, or at least post a sample page of text as well as a few images. Since we have 5 image spaces to work with, I think it shouldn't be a problem and I think we should use them.

Old 2008-07-29, 3:45am
Super Duper

I can see both sides of the issue, lampworking has always been an inviting and open hobby (Just take a look around here) and if more and more people start opting to sell tutorials that would have previously been free it is easy to see how this could start a bad trend.

On the other hand this also encourages tutorials that might not have otherwise been written and perhaps will hold people to a higher standard when writing tutorials.
Old 2008-07-29, 3:49am
Gimme that silver glass!

I'm pretty simple in this matter I think: I love all the tutorials that are available and I buy almost every one of the. It's a wonderful way for me to learn more techniques, since I'm not able to fly over for all the classes that I would love to take.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-07-29, 3:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkauz View Post
There is. It's a separate thingy right above the tut section. If you click on tutorials just look at the top part of it.
Great! I think this helps a lot!

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators
Old 2008-07-29, 4:17am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirima View Post
Please forgive me and forget it. I'm certainly NOT able to post in English and I won't do it again. I'm sorry, I didn't have the intention to confuse us.

I'm sorry! Martina
Don't worry Martina. I understood that you were speaking "tongue in cheek". Sometimes it's hard to get the jest of the typed word. I loved you sense of humor and totally GOT it. Kinda like, " I hate that girl" because she has beautiful hair, yes?
Old 2008-07-29, 4:48am
boro color bender

I think it is great... and that's not just because I'm an instructor.

I like the tutorials so far. The quality is above and beyond what I've seen offered for free. The cost seems to be affordable for most people and artists can benefit directly from the hard work they put into it. It's a win win for everybody from where I sit. They're like mini books and I hope the trend continues.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-07-29, 4:53am

Thanks for all your answers! I'm glad to have been able to read all your points of view, it's interesting to get to know how different people think about it! As I've already said: I have bought some of the tutorials and they have been worth every single dollar I payed for them! I also think it's a wonderful opportunity for the authors to be able to earn some extra money! But one thing is: the tutorials are stuck in my computer... (Of course I could print a copy, but I'm not quite happy with the quality of such home made prints.)

I think it's a excellent idea to publish some pictures (either on etsy or maybe here in the new section for tutorials to purchase) of the content as well as one or two example pages of the text. That way we'd know a little better what we'll get and it might help to take a decision - as Lara mentioned above I like to flip through a book before I actually buy it, too.

Conclusion: I might be too old-fashioned to know how to handle virtual "books" that are stuck in my iMac! I guess I'd better learn to get used to it ...!

Old 2008-07-29, 5:13am

there is some great suggestions in the tutorial to purchase room about saving them to disc, taking them in to be printed etc Martina,

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-29, 6:01am

Oh thanks Laurie, I didn't know that, I'll check that out!

Old 2008-07-29, 6:40am

While my first response to the idea of selling tutorials was admittedly a bit of a knee jerk "Do ya really think I"m going to pay for that?", when I stopped to think about it, tuts are one of the greatest deals out there. With my work schedule, it's really hard to get away for a class, not to mention that I have to pay for travel and overnight costs as there are no teaching studios close to me. If I'm willing to pay several hundred dollars to take a class from someone, a well written and illustrated tut is a huge bargin at around $20.00. In some ways its actually better than taking a class as it is always there if I get confused and need to go back and check on things.
That being said, please keep the tutorials coming

Old 2008-07-29, 6:42am
Mary Lockwood

Every book about lampworking I've ever purchased, I ordered online and didn't get to flip through it first.

Passing the Flame, Beads of Glass, Tonbo Dama...and at least 5 others not counting the smaller books and magazines. I've never worried at all about what I would get.

However, there is a certain level of quality one expects when ordering a printed book so maybe that is why it feels more trustworthy.

When I listed the tutorial on my site I put the first page as a free downloadable pdf sample. I did that mostly because the first page contains the supplies list and thought people could be getting stuff together while they waited. When I listed it on Etsy, I included several extra pictures so people could see my photography.

Now that I have ordered it to be printed in a bound version...I have 3 sample pages available to view online before you purchase. So, I totally understand the desire for being able to flip through it. I ordered 5 copies for myself to make sure it looked okay before offering it to everybody else. Even though I know what my files look like and know exactly what is in it...I still wanted to see the print quality for myself. So I really do understand wanting to see a sample before you commit to buying something.

If or when I do the next one, I'll be keeping it in mind even more.

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-29, 7:20am

I really love purchasing the tutorials. Every one that I have purchased has been of excellent quality, really easy to view and understand. I like being able to print it out and take it to the torch with me so I know where I am and not miss a step, (so often memory fails me.) I have punched holes and put them all in a three ring binder.

Thanks to everyone that has written a tutorial, please keep them coming.

Jeanette

Like my Facebook Page, Please
Old 2008-07-29, 7:24am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Guera View Post
I have punched holes and put them all in a three ring binder.
Mine are printed front and back (to save trees) and in page protectors (which doesn't save trees, go figure).

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-07-29, 7:26am

does plastic come from trees?

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-29, 7:27am

I love the tutorials.

I am a newbie lampworker and have found the tutorial really, really useful. When I wasn't quite getting something my husband sat and worked through it with me to help me - he would not have been able to do this if I had attended a class.

I am happy to pay for all of the hard work that has gone into them. I do have a budget though and I would rather spend my $100 on glass or tools than a tutorial of that price. Having said that, I am no where near competent enough to make one of those flowers.

I love books and get a bit precious about them - not wanting to get them bent, torn or burned (I *know* I'm a sad case!) The tutorials can be printed off either as a single page or as a whole and it doesn't matter if they get damaged because I can print it off again if necessary.

I think the sharing and giving will not stop as the lampworking community is a very generous one and for that I will be forever grateful.

When I grow up to be a 'proper' lampworker I will be able and more than happy to help others.

Last edited by Maytime; 2008-07-29 at 7:48am.
Old 2008-07-29, 7:38am
Gay rights R human rights

Ok what $100 tutorial? Can someone pm me?

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-07-29, 7:41am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever After View Post
does plastic come from trees?
Petroleum product...drilling evilness.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-07-29, 7:41am
Normal is Boring!!

Bring on the tuts!!! Love them!

I feel they have been as great and basically the same as a class- Teachers sharing knowledge for the time and effort they have spent learning- Why not benefit from the trials and errors and save others from the headache and cost.

Lara- I like the sneak peak idea too. But honestly I feel anyone who has a unique technique deserves to make a profit for their time and hard work!

The downside is putting your heart, soul and time into preparing a tutorial and not kowing whether it will fly- Always a risk with the adventure!

Bring them on!!

~
~

Antique Brass Findings