Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-12, 6:54pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Default Do you have an ems? Like it? Love it?

Well, do ya? Do u have pics of your beads? How long did it take you to get used to it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2009-02-12, 7:17pm

Love it. Here are a few photos. Sorry if you've seen them before.

It's my most used tool. Keeps my hand from getting sore. Great for shaping. I hadn't been torching long when I got it, so I didn't have set habits to overcome. Certainly within a few weeks, not long to get used to it.

easy to make multiple matched beads on a mandrel with it like this pair
Old 2009-02-12, 7:38pm

Love it. 1 week to get used to it. Would not want to torch without it.
Old 2009-02-12, 7:42pm

Ems? Is it a tool?

Old 2009-02-12, 7:47pm

Electric Mandrel spinner ... I've been wondering about getting one too. I have to be convinced it'll be worth it and not restrict what I do (like size ... is there a max size?) Does it matter how long your mandrels are?

Old 2009-02-12, 8:31pm
Semi Retired

I am still on the fence but may get one soon. Especially it now supports 5/64" mandrels.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-02-12, 8:34pm
Formerly FishBulb

They do sound awesome! I'm hoping to buy a used one when the seller gets their new one.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-02-12, 8:40pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Oooooo pretty beads. Thanks for posting. I think Im leaning towards getting one. In the long run I think it will be worth it. That 4-6 week wait time is a killer though. Im such an instant gratification type person I dunno if I can do it. Please, if there are others with comments and pics post away. Id love to see and hear more.

*+.+*
Old 2009-02-12, 9:15pm

ahh so there's a restriction mandrel size? Is it interchangeable? Can I swap from 3/32 to 5/64 to 1/16?

Old 2009-02-13, 12:07am
Semi Retired

Hi Sadie, according to the site the regular model supports 1/16" to 3/16" and deluxe model now supports from 1/16" to 11/32" mandrels. I think the regular is all I need.

Here is the link:

http://www.bearfootart.com/catalog.php?category=76

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-02-13, 1:03am

My recommendation: Buy the deluxe. I want a bigger one than the petite with more grunt. I think thats my technical problem, not the EMS

Kym
Old 2009-02-13, 3:23am
Knob Creek Glass

Love it! Buy the deluxe! I have a petite with the more grunt!!!
Old 2009-02-13, 4:09am
what's a senior moment ?

I bought one of Scott's original EMS's (when he listed his first 10 on Ebay) and I would NEVER give it up ! lol ! I did upgrade to the newer power box. This tool is one of the best things to happen to the lampwork community !
As for getting use to it, just depends on you. Didn't take me long at all. Within a few days. And if you have questions or problems, they have so many video's out now and have THE BEST customer service by far !
Get one ! They are great !

Old 2009-02-13, 4:33am
Beadmaking.nl

Wow, you are al so positive. But what do you like about it, what does it do what you can't do without it?

I am doubting to buy one also.

Old 2009-02-13, 5:25am
boro color bender

I love mine... what does it do? It spins the mandrel for you... much faster and more steady than I could on my own. It's like a little lathe. You can do a lot of beads quick or long beads with ease. I may bust mine out today and play with soft glass.

Scott came up with a real winner when he designed this tool.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-02-13, 5:26am
boro color bender

Oh and you really should get the roller marver to use with it... magic!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-02-13, 7:53am
Formerly FishBulb

Brent, is the roller marver the graphite cylinder that I've been seeing at the glass shop but don't know what to do with it?

How do you use it? Especially with an EMS?

Old 2009-02-13, 7:57am
Wonderland sounds fun...

their rolling marver is brass. you can see it on their site in the link above. if i get the ems, ill be getting that too. looks like a must for bicones.

*+.+*
Old 2009-02-13, 8:12am
Formerly FishBulb

Oh, OK... I took a look and that wasn't what I was thinking of.

KarenBeth, if you do get one, make sure you post pics.

Old 2009-02-13, 8:52am
Catnip Pusher

I've never actually tried one (I'd like to), but I held one and it seemed kind of heavy. For me, that is also an issue - my hands may get tired spinning the mandrel, but they'll get tired faster with added weight. Still wondering myself.

Aimee
Old 2009-02-13, 9:47am

Default EMS

I LOVE my EMS. Your hands don't get tired at all, because the EMS is doing all the work (spinning the mandrel) for you. All you have to do is hold it. The ends of my beads became 100% better (puckers) when I started using the EMS. I love the rolling marver also, Raku really pops using it. I had an issue with my EMS and thought I would need a new one, but Scott talked me through it on a Saturday morning no less. I would love to upgrade to a Deluxe EMS, but since this is a very expensive HOBBY for me, I just can't justify it.

Jeanette

Like my Facebook Page, Please
Old 2009-02-13, 11:51am
Wonderland sounds fun...

anyone have any more pics of their beads made with their ems?

*+.+*
Old 2009-02-13, 12:42pm

[quote=margriet@stainedglass.nl;2375278]Wow, you are al so positive. But what do you like about it, what does it do what you can't do without it?
[quote]

Since it spins in a completely steady way, you can always instantly see if your bead is balanced. It's super easy to have nice tidy, neat ends. STringer and dots melt in more evenly.

I generally shape more with graphite than the rolling marvers. The graphite pulls out less heat from the glass, and graphite gives me longer to get the shaping fixed - I do most of my shaping on my base bead, before decorating. I do like the rolling marvers when I'm fixing the shape on a bead that I've already decorated since you can change the shape without distorting the pattern.
Old 2009-02-13, 12:52pm

What couldn't I do without it? Lampwork beads. Really, my left thumb was getting too painful. It was starting to hurt all the time, not just when I made beads. It took months for the pain to go away completely after I got the EMS, but now it's gone. I'm glad I got the EMS before I did irreversible damage.
Old 2009-02-13, 3:50pm
too many rods in the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
I've never actually tried one (I'd like to), but I held one and it seemed kind of heavy. For me, that is also an issue - my hands may get tired spinning the mandrel, but they'll get tired faster with added weight. Still wondering myself.

Aimee
Aimee, you can try mine at the next meeting - I always bring it if I plan to torch! And it's not heavy at all - there are several ways to hold it to where it just sort of rests in your hand like a pencil - hard to explain, but I can show you.

I am another who LOVES this tool! If I could keep only ONE tool, this would be it, hands down. It allows me to torch much longer than I could otherwise (neck and arm and hand problems) and it also helps enormously in balancing a bead and with shaping. I was a newbie when I bought mine, but I had several months under my best and did know how to make all the basic shapes (round, donut, bicone, etc.) without the EMS. But the EMS made it all soooo much easier to do! You can put several different size mandrels in the spinner, including the mandrels I use to make big hole/pandora style beads.

It's the most amazing tool evah, IMO. I really believe this tool pays for itself very quickly in so many ways.

Old 2009-02-13, 5:08pm
Gone Fishing!

Love mine also.... I use it all the time. The only problem I have had is with the roller that you can buy with it. Every now and then mine will stop rolling while I am using it. Maybe I am pressing too hard????

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2009-02-13, 6:41pm
Hello?

I got to play with an EMS this week and loved it!!! Seeing as I've been making beads the old fashioned way for years, it felt really different. I couldn't make a round bead with it to save my life. But I'm sure its all in learning the technique. I will for sure be getting one, and the rolling marver.

Old 2009-02-13, 7:52pm
Catnip Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGlass9 View Post
Aimee, you can try mine at the next meeting - I always bring it if I plan to torch!
That would be cool Rene'! I'm hoping to be at Quincy's for the next meeting!

Aimee
Old 2009-02-14, 3:30am
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Horse Studio View Post
Love mine also.... I use it all the time. The only problem I have had is with the roller that you can buy with it. Every now and then mine will stop rolling while I am using it. Maybe I am pressing too hard????

The oil inside the rolling parts will "burn off" or maybe it's clogged up (can't remember the exact wording used), if you continuously let it get too hot. Scott told me back when to keep a cool/cold damp rag next to you while torching and roll the rollers on it after you use it on a bead to cool the brass. If that doesn't help then the lubricant may of "burned off". I used some WD40 to get them oiled up again. Just slide off the rollers and lube it up. If that still doesn't work, you might need to replace the rollers. You could ask Scott too just to make sure.

Old 2009-02-14, 3:42am
Knob Creek Glass

You can see Scott and Monica's bead on their website!