No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-12, 4:03pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
some are more brown, some are more green. When I was sorting the rods, I thought I had two colors, but they're both in the olive spectrum.
I went out and looked at mine. Held up to the light they all look the same - just a nice trans olive green. When you get to melt them, let us know if they turn out differently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-06-12, 4:09pm
sunscreen me baby

Where are you getting this glass? Did I see a pastel peach????!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

Old 2009-06-12, 4:14pm
sunscreen me baby

found it devardiglass.com

~

Old 2009-06-12, 4:24pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Where are you getting this glass? Did I see a pastel peach????!!!!
Yes, opaque Salmon.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-06-12, 7:33pm

They have a Peach Semi-Opal, which is fantastic!
Jim
Old 2009-06-12, 7:56pm
sunscreen me baby

I ordered some. It's so hard to tell colors! Anyone care to tell me what colors I HAVE to have? I got some pastel and tran pink, the cranberry, the salmon pastel and the peach semi opal, the pastel olive, mango and butterscotch. Am I missing something great?

~

Old 2009-06-12, 8:36pm

I have to say the trans olive looks amazing. Both tones

And the Ink blue I swear looks like Glassdaddy lauscha purple.
Old 2009-06-12, 8:43pm
sunscreen me baby

Thanks, putting those on my list.

~

Old 2009-06-13, 4:45am

Check out the yellow semi-opal and the tan opal.
Jim
Old 2009-06-13, 11:37am
Ad astra per aspera

I went out on a limb last week and tried some really challenging combinations. I haven't lost a single bead! I have a bunch of the Diamond Clear seconds glass so I tried that for encasing. NO problems! I also tried layering some 96 COE frit on Devardi bases, melting in and raking, and encasing with more Diamond Clear, and again, NO problems! The DC looks gorgeous over the Devardi and frits. They've been off mandrel and cleaned for a week, now, so I think it's safe to say that it's all okay.

Old 2009-06-13, 3:00pm
Lampworkaholic!

Wonder when Cranberry will be back in stock. I keep checking and holding off on ordering. Of course by the time that is in, one of the other colors I want may be gone. Oh, what to do? Well, it's not like I am going to run out of glass while I wait - lol!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-06-13, 4:10pm
Glass Obsessed!

I really wanted some metallic black BUT I think I got some of every other color anyway! Anyone have any new pictures to post so I can start making my list for when the metallic black is in stock?
Old 2009-06-14, 8:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Wonder when Cranberry will be back in stock. I keep checking and holding off on ordering. Of course by the time that is in, one of the other colors I want may be gone. Oh, what to do? Well, it's not like I am going to run out of glass while I wait - lol!
Seriously? JUST ORDER! By the time the cranberry comes in, they'll have a whole NEW batch of colors to pick from, & the metallic black will (hopefully) be in with it too--and honestly, their shipping is NOT outrageous, they use priority boxes--for the price of the glass, it's not *that* big a deal! grab the pinks (if they've got any left now)--I'm wishing I had grabbed more than the quarter pounds I ordered!

As far as "durability"--I've got a bead of metallic black (from the very first order) that I cooked the cr*p out of, reduced & put a melted in piece of Brad's striking glass frit on one side, covered with effetre clear, then on the other side left a nice, ROUND piece of the same frit (a perfect "ball") raised & "sunk" a bit, like a gazing ball & I've been MEAN to that bead--it's been loose in my purse (scary!), it's been in my pocket with my KEYS (more scary--I carry 2 sets!), & in my other pocket with my cards & change & cash....for the last few months....just to "wear test" it...the striking glass "ball" is still firmly attached (it's not "undercut", but it's definitely a raised ball, sort of "set in" to the top of the bead--it's quite cool--looks like a seperate element) & the clear effetre-over-striking glass-over devardi on the other side hasn't done any cracking or shown any signs of incompatability either.
I think I'm probably done messing around with torturing that bead now & can throw it on a stainless chain & on the "for sale" rack next week @ the farmers market

~luna

(oh & Virginia made me some shards out of one of the rods of metallic black--'cause I suck @ blowing shards--& they worked FANTASTIC!!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-06-19, 8:01pm

Talking Devardi Glass

I received my first batch of Devardi Glass last weekend and have had a chance to play a bit. I run a Carlisle Mini with natural gas and a refurbished oxygen concentrator. The natural gas produces a cooler heat so I've had no problems. I have had good luck warming the funky shaped rods in an old heating pad (set on medium heat & folded over). I place my beads immediately in a fibre blanket and then batch anneal after they have cooled. Again, no problems. Natasha is a sweetie and very fast to answer any emailed questions about Devardi. Have a look on UTube - they provide an informative commentary. I did notice that the glass seems very stiff when you first start to work it, but flows very nicely to make hearts and drop pendants. Have tried only 1 floral so far with Devardi & Moretti and encased w/ Lauscha clear - worked like a dream. Looking forward to playing again this weekend!
Old 2009-06-20, 5:35am

I love the cranberry. It is gorgeous! I ordered 2 lbs of it and when they get more in, I will order more. I got quite a few more colors this time that I have not had time to work with. I look forward to trying them!
Beth
Old 2009-06-20, 6:12am
sunscreen me baby

Question: Are all the transparents bubbly? I worked my rose pretty cool but still got tiny bubbles in the glass. I can see where it could have some great applications, but just wondered if it was something to expect in all the glass or if it's a batch thing.

~

Old 2009-06-20, 6:31am

I think it's a batch thing.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-06-20, 6:36am
sunscreen me baby

hmmm, I'm afraid this isn't the glass for me.

~

Old 2009-06-20, 10:17am
Ad astra per aspera

The rose does seem to be especially "fizzy". I'm making the most of it by using it with dichro over it. It pushes the light around in some really fun ways.

Most of the other transparents are much better behaved, IMO. The citrine (I've used 2 batches now) has minor bubbles but not many at all, same with the forest green, olive, orange and cranberry.

Old 2009-09-16, 4:31pm

Hi, I see this is an older posting. Did you find the information that you were looking for? I just got my first glass from them today. I ordered it Sunday, today is Wed! Good fast shipping. The colors are awesome, I have not been able to find beautiful deep rose and amethyst color like these anywhere. I held it next to my morretti glass and it makes the morretti look dull and washed out. I played with a bunch of the colors today and had a ball. If you'd like to go to their website its www.devardiglass.com. Their shipping is so reasonable!!! If you would like to ask me about colors I will be happy to chat with you.
Old 2009-09-16, 4:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsllamas View Post
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has heard of Devardi Glass and has used it. Its much cheaper then other glass and they say that its just a good. Here is the link www.devardiglass.com. They said on their information page that the glass takes a little to get use to, I am wondering if it will work with a hothead also?
Thanks,
Maggie
Hi maggie, did you get the info you were looking for? I got my glass from them today and I use a hothead with 20# propane tank. The colors are gorgeous, I played with the glass all day, if you want any info or if I can help you let me know. Holly