Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2009-10-11, 5:47am
Glass Lover

Default Critique please - new website

Hi All,

Finally my own website for my own beads!
After putting it off for years, I reckon it's past time to put my wares out there. I do a lot more other art too besides beads that will eventually go there, but it's a start.
www.ariesartworks.com

Please have a look and tell me what you think of the appearance, size of thumbnails, navigation, load times, etc. Any other helpful hints would be great too. No shopping cart yet - haven't made up my mind on that.

Thanks heaps!
Old 2009-10-13, 5:18am
Glass Lover

Wow

3 days and 33 views......but nobody has anything to say?
Does it suck the big one?
Old 2009-10-13, 8:18am
ManBearPig

***What follows is only my opinion...***

Honestly, the site looks very late 90's to me. The animated rainbow line, the background, the colors, etc. Well, that and the fact that it says "copyright 1997" on the front page.

However, it does load quickly and is easy to navigate. Kind of annoying that the links all open in new windows though.

Not trying to be harsh though. That's just my observation as someone who does this sort of thing for a living...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-13, 8:38am
Living out Loud

I wish I had a website!! It takes work and dedication to put together a website. I like the fact that your photographs are bright and clear. I think you show an excellent representation of your art,,,,, bead sets, necklaces etc. I would tweak a few things..... I would have the subcategories listed as separate categories. Now you have to click on catalogue to get to the wrist wear, necklaces etc. Why not have them up front so your customers can see right away all the different varieties of art that you offer. I might change the "Face" of the website to make it more enchanting. Keep the rainbow and the ram (aries people rock!!). but put more of your work on your opening page. Remember....the longest journey starts with a simple step. Your are definitely on the right path and you have a good foundation!! I like your beads.

Best of luck.

Last edited by lampworker1; 2009-10-13 at 9:12am. Reason: spelling
Old 2009-10-13, 8:43am
passionate about pets

I agree with cosmo with the color scheme and animation.

I also found it quick to load, and i also found it kind of annoying that the links all open in new windows. I don't know much about web pages but i am sure this can be fixed.

I would center my logo name at the top of the page. it is kind of off to the left. same with some other text on certain pages.

You have some very nice pieces of glass!!!

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2009-10-13, 8:47am
ManBearPig

If you're not sure how to fix the opening in new windows thing, PM me. It's a quick and easy fix.

Old 2009-10-14, 6:33am
Glass Lover

Now that's more like it - thank you everyone!

I've taken it all onboard and will be tweaking the site in the coming weeks.

Storm & Lampworker1 - thanks for the compliments on my glass!
Cosmo - thanks for trying to be gentle, and for the offer of assistance. I was prepared for any comments and will keep you in mind if I get stuck.

I actually agree with a lot of the assessments, now they've been pointed out.
(Dated look, new windows, etc.)
Been stuck in a rut with how to create the look I want and more or less recreated what worked well on another site of mine. Need to find someone to create the logo graphic I have in mind too.....that will help.
Old 2009-10-14, 6:38am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbR View Post
Now that's more like it - thank you everyone!

I've taken it all onboard and will be tweaking the site in the coming weeks.

Storm & Lampworker1 - thanks for the compliments on my glass!
Cosmo - thanks for trying to be gentle, and for the offer of assistance. I was prepared for any comments and will keep you in mind if I get stuck.

I actually agree with a lot of the assessments, now they've been pointed out.
(Dated look, new windows, etc.)
Been stuck in a rut with how to create the look I want and more or less recreated what worked well on another site of mine. Need to find someone to create the logo graphic I have in mind too.....that will help.
I'll be glad to help. That's what I do for a living.

Old 2009-10-14, 6:50am
Glass Lover

Honestly?

I rather be MAKING BEADS!!!
Who wouldn't!