LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-30, 9:33pm
Lover of all things color

Back to the geod bead, it says that it's a fused bead. Does that mean that when you have it sanded flat you fuse the frit inside? Or...hmmm maybe not, the the hole would disappear. How in the world do you make those geod beads? I am so taken by them. I wish you still made them. I want one...LOL

I fused glass before becoming a lampworker so I have lots of 96 sheets, I've cut strips and used some of them to make beads. I was wondering if I could use the irridized sheets to make beads with and what would that coating do in the flame. Do you know by any chance?

Thanks so much for all the time and energy it has taken you to answer all of these questions, each one has enlightened me in a different way. You are truly one of a kind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2011-05-30, 9:42pm
Cat Winx

I agree, Kalera, you are all that and a bag of hot wings.. and those purple beads are glorious, too!

~Rache

Old 2011-05-31, 4:27am

Kalera, firstly, thank you so much for all the time you've taken to make this thread the fantastic frit-fest of wonderful information that it has become. I know I'll keep coming back to re-read it. Your generosity and invaluable experience is amazing.

You've really inspired me to temporarily put away my 104 and get the BE out for a play (I have a little, I've just never tried it! I'll have to buy some french vanilla first though )

Your 'Cove' series really get my mouth watering, may I ask what frit you used for these beauties? (I am assuming base is BE french vanilla? Or is it?)

http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=10325

http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=7688

Thank you x

You can't shine if you don't burn
Old 2011-05-31, 6:22am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Oh my, those are beautiful!
Old 2011-05-31, 6:33am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
Back to the geod bead, it says that it's a fused bead. Does that mean that when you have it sanded flat you fuse the frit inside? Or...hmmm maybe not, the the hole would disappear. How in the world do you make those geod beads? I am so taken by them. I wish you still made them. I want one...LOL

I fused glass before becoming a lampworker so I have lots of 96 sheets, I've cut strips and used some of them to make beads. I was wondering if I could use the irridized sheets to make beads with and what would that coating do in the flame. Do you know by any chance?

Thanks so much for all the time and energy it has taken you to answer all of these questions, each one has enlightened me in a different way. You are truly one of a kind.

Thank you!

It's not "fused" as in kiln-fused, but rather, the frit I introduced is permanently fused (as opposed to glued, which people often assume) to the inside without fully melting by heating in the flame. I will likely make more geode beads at some point... I like making them, they're just very time-consuming! The method I use to make them is by building a hollow bead, and before I close the bead I pour a teaspoon or so of transparent frit inside. I then carefully heat the bead so that the frit fuses together without melting completely, and roll the bead in fine frit (usually R-10 a few times. Sometimes I roll it in white or black powder, or both, before the R-108, for greater depth to the layers. After it's annealed I open and polish it on my grinder.

Unfortunately, the irid on sheet glass will not survive the torch flame.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 2:43pm.
Old 2011-05-31, 6:34am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB23 View Post
I agree, Kalera, you are all that and a bag of hot wings.. and those purple beads are glorious, too!

~Rache
Thank you!

Old 2011-05-31, 6:38am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Kalera, firstly, thank you so much for all the time you've taken to make this thread the fantastic frit-fest of wonderful information that it has become. I know I'll keep coming back to re-read it. Your generosity and invaluable experience is amazing.

You've really inspired me to temporarily put away my 104 and get the BE out for a play (I have a little, I've just never tried it! I'll have to buy some french vanilla first though )

Your 'Cove' series really get my mouth watering, may I ask what frit you used for these beauties? (I am assuming base is BE french vanilla? Or is it?)

http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=10325

http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=7688

Thank you x
Thank you! I hope you do try Bullseye... it's such wonderful glass!

Sweetness Cove is BE Fuchsia and transparent Turquoise frit (you're right about the French Vanilla base!)

And Opal Cove is a mix of all the bright jewel-toned transparent BE frits.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 2:44pm.
Old 2011-05-31, 9:32am

Thank you Good God, I LOVE those. They honesty look like they'd taste divine

Old 2011-05-31, 9:39am
I'm a lilac!

Thank you!

Old 2011-05-31, 11:55am
cherry blossom beads

Kalera,
Any chance of you making more opal cove beads? I love them!!!!
Kelle
Old 2011-05-31, 12:59pm
I'm a lilac!

Thank you! I am sure I will... I move through phases, and at some point in the next few weeks I will almost certainly go through a "Cove" phase.

Old 2011-05-31, 1:07pm
cherry blossom beads

I'd be very interested in purchasing any opal coves Kelle
Old 2011-06-02, 11:18am

May I pick your brains again, Kalera?

Have you used Z784 silver olive opaque frit and what would you use as a base to get something pretty from it?

Thank you

Old 2011-06-02, 1:03pm
I'm a lilac!

I'm afraid I haven't tried the Silver Olive. I hope you'll play around with it and post pics.

Old 2011-06-11, 1:06pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

ok, I am not sure if this has been already asked... these beads on todays gallery are just stunning, and I would love to know what you made them with! Oh and I do mean the whole shebang, with the spacers!
Sorry if it was brought up before... but at least I think they are so gorgeous that they do deserve another 15 minutes of fame!
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-11, 1:18pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
ok, I am not sure if this has been already asked... these beads on todays gallery are just stunning, and I would love to know what you made them with! Oh and I do mean the whole shebang, with the spacers!
Sorry if it was brought up before... but at least I think they are so gorgeous that they do deserve another 15 minutes of fame!
Thank you, Pia! These are all Bullseye, made with a base of French Vanilla that is wrapped in heavy silver foil, drizzled with a stringer made with Aventurine Green, Cobalt Blue, and Turquoise, and then encased in 1101 Clear. The spacers are made with an old special production color called Blue Green Algae, but you can get a similar effect by handmixing Aventurine Blue, White, and Aquamarine. Some of the Blue Green Algae also has green in it, but that particular rod didn't.

Old 2011-06-11, 1:20pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thank you Kalera, they are just stunning!
Old 2011-06-11, 1:24pm
I'm a lilac!

You're very welcome - thank you!

Old 2011-06-11, 2:06pm

I for one am glad she asked about those. I second the fact that they are stunning. Thanks for telling the recipe, even though I am sure if I did them they wouldn't even be close to those.

Old 2011-06-11, 2:38pm
I'm a lilac!

Thank you, Cheryl!

Old 2011-06-12, 5:21pm

Thank you so much Kalera for sharing your beautiful bead recipes!

I'm in the midst of mixing your Romance frit blend. Aprox how much would you consider "a pinch" of Z-99 in a container of (all slightly heaping) 10 teaspoons of each size R108 and 20 teaspoons G-104?

Thank You!

DeAnn

Minor Propane Oxycon SC2 Jim Moore Bead Press
Old 2011-06-13, 10:24am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAnn View Post
Thank you so much Kalera for sharing your beautiful bead recipes!

I'm in the midst of mixing your Romance frit blend. Aprox how much would you consider "a pinch" of Z-99 in a container of (all slightly heaping) 10 teaspoons of each size R108 and 20 teaspoons G-104?

Thank You!

Hmm, maybe a teaspoon? Half a teaspoon? I don't really measure, so it varies. All of my blends are pretty impromptu, and subject to shifting due to impulse additions, so don't worry about being too precise!

Old 2011-06-13, 10:47am

Default Z-99 Frit

Kalera,
Thanks so much for this thread. It is one of the best, ever.

Where could I purchase some Z-99 Frit?

Thanks,
Jim Clark
Old 2011-06-13, 11:14am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
Kalera,
Thanks so much for this thread. It is one of the best, ever.

Where could I purchase some Z-99 Frit?

Thanks,
Jim Clark
I'm not sure who has it in stock anymore, but occasionally I do see people here announcing that they have some available... I think you kind of have to keep your eyes peeled for it! In my experience, the Z-850 and Z-851 are very similar and can be used nearly interchangeably, 850 is slightly paler and 851 slightly bluer.

Old 2011-06-13, 12:16pm

Question shipping glass rods...

Hello,

I am moving four thousand miles, from WA State to Nova Scotia.

What is the safest and least expensive way to ship glass rods

Thank you,

Ellen Brenner
Old 2011-06-13, 12:34pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehhol55 View Post
Hello,

I am moving four thousand miles, from WA State to Nova Scotia.

What is the safest and least expensive way to ship glass rods

Thank you,

Ellen Brenner
Hi hon, sorry, but this thread is actually for questions about how I make my beads... you might have better luck posting your question as a new thread.

Old 2011-06-15, 5:43pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

ok, what glass and frit did you use for these stunning beads? what a fab purple/blue color.
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-16, 11:59am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattybeads View Post
ok, what glass and frit did you use for these stunning beads? what a fab purple/blue color.
Thank you! The base color is Effetre Light Ivory, with light silver foil and a combination of Jade Green and Silver Blue 104 COE frit from http://www.recycledartglass.com. The spacers are Caliente Silver Blue.

Old 2011-06-16, 12:55pm
Cat Winx

Hi Kalera,
I don't know much about frit and my question involves making it yourself.
I built a little "chingaderra" (old family expression for that thing you don't know the name of ;} that will smash my scrap glass SO well that it will turn it into enamel if I want. Seems I never do things by halves ...
But if I put the right size 'BB' in there I am assuming I can get the right size frit that I want. I am really looking forward to experimenting with colors. There's enough broken and used up bits of glass around here to give me quite a palette.

My question is.. once I mash the bits, I imagine I would have to find a way to rinse them. Is there a way to do that "correctly" without buying the different sized sifters et al (and even if you had them, to make sure they were clean, safe, and ready to use)???

Thanks Kalera!

~Rachel

Old 2011-06-16, 1:13pm
I'm a lilac!

Hmmm... I just sift mine through a strainer I got at IKEA, I don't usually rinse it unless it gets dirty somehow... in which case I just run it under tap water and spread it on a kitchen towel to dry.